Checking Site Performace

• DalaiLama
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DalaiLama

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are there any tools I can use to test the performance of a site on a dedicated server.

I'm moving a copy of a site from one dedicated box to another and want to test the site on both servers to see which give me btter performance.

I know there are other factors such as my connection to the internet as well as traffic currently being process by one or both servers, but i just want a software that can give me a general idea of performance.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

DalaiLama wrote:
Are there any tools I can use to test the performance of a site on a dedicated server.

I'm moving a copy of a site from one dedicated box to another and want to test the site on both servers to see which give me btter performance.

I know there are other factors such as my connection to the internet as well as traffic currently being process by one or both servers, but i just want a software that can give me a general idea of performance.

are they shell enabled ? If yes then commandline top c and look there you will see the server usages and Max resources so you decide according to the resources/usages ratios by comparing them. however to be honest always the server CPU cache is the most important at web servers and then the speed of the Disk besides those only about the server hardware speed you must test its connection , routing, bandwidth..
We are working on the projects that will enable you to test those things but our it seems they wont be completed before next month :(
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

dolay wrote:
DalaiLama wrote:

are they shell enabled ? If yes then commandline top c and look there you will see the server usages and Max resources so you decide according to the resources/usages ratios by comparing them. however to be honest always the server CPU cache is the most important at web servers and then the speed of the Disk besides those only about the server hardware speed you must test its connection , routing, bandwidth..
We are working on the projects that will enable you to test those things but our it seems they wont be completed before next month :(

I think he is looking to test the performance of the site from a end user perspective. IE access and loading pages etc...
  • DalaiLama
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DalaiLama

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is correct. From the user perspective.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

DalaiLama wrote:
That is correct. From the user perspective.

Quote:
performance of a site on a dedicated server.

So it only depends on the performance of the dedicated server.
  • DalaiLama
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DalaiLama

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I want to test the performance of a site on a dedicated server.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello DalaiLama,

This is a really difficult item to quantify. You can try download tests (ask for a file to test download speeds) - but, this really doesnt tell you much - if anything - as its dependant on many factors.

Other things you can do is run the whole suite of tests from http://www.dnsstuff.com on the domain. It will at least give you some indications of whats going on.

Although I understand what it is you are trying to accompish - it really is difficult to measure, as a user, overall performance of a site - other then what you "experience" when you goto that site - but again - this will vary amongst individual users as well.

Im sure this wasnt overly helpful (sorry) - but, hopefully it gives you a few things to consider...
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMHO, there are two perspectives (getting very zen-like now); the outside-in and the inside-out.

If you want to measure the capacity of a series of nodes or a single node, you have to stress it in much the same way traffic does.
We use a tool which was incorporated into the WebSphere Performance Toolkit, but originally written by a member of my team. It can simulate thousands of users, accessing your site from a single node in your complex.
As such, it pushes the box to it's breaking point -- we call this 'collapse testing' and the information it provides is invaluable to know where to set our thresholds not only for configuration but also for monitoring. It permits proper sizing requirements as well.

The other perspective is the outside-in, or customer view. You could try to do this yourself using any variety of tools but I don't believe one gets an accurate picture whilst not traversing the cloud.

Therefore I suggest one of two services; Gomez Networks or Keynote.
We use both actually.
Both have points of presence all over the globe and can drill down into your site as a customer would, providing you will all sorts of valuable data for implementation into your matrix.
Gomez even has a scripting tool, which can automate and then alert on significant processing actions to determine latency over a period of time.

Hope that helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts