to do checklist for getting hosted

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have a good checklist or order of events of what to do when I am going to take a website online? I know I need to decide on a web host, and I need to register a domain name, and need to start getting back links out there. What am I missing? Do you normally sign up with a web host first, then register your domain name, or is it the other way around?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The order in which you purchase your domains/hosting shouldn't matter, although many places such as GoDaddy offer incredibly cheap domains with the purchase of other services such as hosting.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alot of people tend to have their domain name registered long before hosting is even considered.
On the other hand, some people get their domain free with their hosting.

If you go with a hosting account that comes with free domain registration, be sure to go over their Terms of Service with a fine-tooth-comb looking for gotchas that allow them to confiscate your domain name if you change plans or break some sort of bluemoon rule.

If you want a sense of security for your domain name, get it registered first, then look for hosting from a seprate entity.

Try not to get any links pointing to the domain untill it's up & running, there's not much worse than "under construction" type pages.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're right about the under construction pages, I bet they tend to loose visitors instead of attract them. That answers my question pretty much perfect, now I just gotta start looking around for exactly which places I want to do business with, compare features and included services for the price and what not. Thanks!
  • brandrocker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • brandrocker

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what i think:
Register your domain name as early as possible from a very renowned company. Domain name is the plinth of your web business.

2. Develop your website - including contents etc. - offline as it may take some time.

3. Now purchase a hosting plan from any reliable host you can trust and upload your site.

4. Tell everybody you know about your site to get backlinks.

Hope this helps.
  • harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get your domain name first start building your site with unique content, meanwhile search for reliable host, You may get thousands of host not all are that reliable so while choosing host you have to take care.
Always go with a host who is with you and for you 24x7 with 99.99% uptime.
For getting backlinks you have to work hard and market your site properly. Forum posting, directory submission, Social networking sites will help you to get backlinks.

All the Best....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts