Choosing windows or Linux server

• roxxy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • roxxy

Post 3+ Months Ago

At the time of purchasing a hosting as first you have to choose the platform of the hosting like Windows and Linux. Generally Linux Hosting is far cheaper then Windows. but this is completely dependent on your website development if your site is built using ASP then you have to choose windows server and using PHP then you have to choose Linux server. Many windows server supports Linux also for this you have to read their manual or package includes.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure I understand this post at all.

I mean, the first sentence is clear -- albeit in my estimation, not the 'first' choice.

Generally speaking if you are doing OS centric application programming, you need to ensure you find a host that complies, however those lines are entirely blurred. There are application-aware packages that permit linux to run ASP's and PHP runs on anything; windows included.

Linux hosting is not necessarily cheaper either, though I would argue that from most customer's standpoint, it's irrelevant as they will operate the site via a GUI like cpanel or plesk. The OS is a moot point in this case.

The last sentence just makes no sense at all. How can a windows server support linux?

OK, be honest, you are just trying to get your signature on as many posts as you can to try and raise your rating? Right?

I am going to have to remove these nonsensical posts if you continue. Make sense, be helpful and your posts will stay.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Daemonguy, I think what he was trying to say is that Windows can/will also support (presumably what he considers linux languages) PHP/mySQL, cgi's etc

If you want to leave yourself as many options as possible, Windows is probably the better platform, as it can support ASP, .NET, PHP, mySQL, MS SQL, pgSQL, MS Access, etc, etc, etc

However, my personal preference is linux and lamp architecture. To each their own, but, they are both useful platforms - and from a shear "options" standpoint, that is to say, if you want to leave as many options open as possible - start with windows.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Frankly, I think this is nothing more than an effort to put the link on as many threads as possible.
  • Maybt
  • Born
  • Born
  • Maybt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows servers are more expensive,but supports more.
what to choose in my opinion depends on how much u want to pay and what kind sites u want to build.

Make a choice of what code your site use first, then choose the right server within the budget.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

A better comparision of windows and linux at http://www.web-hosting-world.com/linux-windows.php

roxxy , go and read that

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts