Complete Website Construction

• Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking to build a new website. My other website is hosted by my ISP, so I haven't ever had to look for a webhost or a domain name. If anyone knows any good webhosts and/or domain registrars, I'd be happy hear them. I don't need any frills (CGI, ASP, etc.). I just need HTML and Javascript. Also, this all needs to be cheap. I have little money. Also, if anyone knows any good, and equally cheap, streaming server hosts, please let me know.

Thanks.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would recomend http://www.godaddy.com for your domain, good prices, and there currently having a sale too so... and http://www.000k.com/ for your hosting. these guys have free hosting, as well as paid. there paid plans arent expensive. you can contact them about streaming, bacause i dont know, but other wise you should be good to go.

poly
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you guys need to stop taking the opportunity to spam your site and
services when someone asks a question. Just because it's hosted
related, doesn't mean you have to chime in with "hey check out
my site." It's getting on my nerves, and I'll be removing any future
posts of that nature.

jnacool, the only reason your post is still there is because you made
some legitimate effort to help. Otherwise, you'd be -1 on your post count
right now. Although I am very tempted to edit out your links and self-promotion.

Please show some professionalism and restraint guys.

The spam has got to stop.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

on second thought - it's toast as well. 95% of your post was self-promotion.
You guys should know better...

Poly - I've editted your post to remove your affilliate link.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats fair enough but with respect I feel the last section of my post was still worth keeping. Also my service does match his criteria 100% and so it was a relevent suggestion. I hope you can understand my point and fair enough delete this post if you feel fit. I would also like to repeat the final part of my last post as it is more than relevent to Felix_net:

I reccomended that you chose a hosting company that can provide you with Fantastico, this is because the service will allow you to add PHP elements such as a guestbook or forum to a basic HTML based site. This is often easier and more professional than using Java. Being careful NOT to spam my site I would reccomend you look at all the options before you make a purchase and don't forget to look at choosing the correrct domain ending for exmaple a .co.uk may be cheaper but isnt suitable for an american business. Feel free to PM me if you need any help or adivse on setting up, managing or promoting your site.

Other users opinions can be found here, this may help you with your decision:

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic26933.html
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the ideas. I was also wondering if I could convert a 400mhz PII comp. into an Apache server or similar type server? Assuming I had a DSL or cable connection. It would save me a good bit of money (I'm a real cheapskate :) ).
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol! Im sure if you look around you will find the instructions on how to do that on this forum.

http://www.ozzu.com/search.php

Setting up a server like that is a great way to test a site but in the long run a company where you can recieve technical and customer support is somtimes worth a little bit extra if you are running a site that is importent don't forget that in the end you could end up with a site like Ozzu.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX, I realize you are angry at some people posting their webhosts, but if it's legitimate help, why not? My webhost is a very good streaming provider, plus it fits his needs very well for his website.

*link removed*
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've now firmly decided that I'm going to run a personal webserver using Apache. Now my only choice is to run either the Linux or Windows version. I've heard there have been problems with the Win 95/98 version. Can anyone confirm this. And for the Linux version, which is the most appropriate for me. Currently, I'm still pretty much a newbie to Linux (I've only used an old copy of Red Hat 4.0 that came with a Red Hat Bible I got from the library). Thanks for your help.
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

imo freeBSD is stable enough for a server.

although i would only recommend using a local server if your connection to the net is very fast.
  • Felix_net
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently I'm on dial-up, though I think DSL or cable may be available soon. Does freebsd have a GUI similar to Linux or Windows? I'd prefer a more user friendly setup and operation (a GUI).
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

KDE is supported by freeBSD... just search for freeBSD Screenshots on google ;)

Also, try to get atleast a 2MB dsl connection - a 1MB will probably struggle and a 512KB connection definetely wont be able to handle even a few medium-sized sites.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 - I'm not sure why you feel it was necessary to call me
out like that, but since you did, I took the liberty of removing your
affilliate link to your hosting. Not only is that not permitted here, it is also
out of place with this topic and actual question. My decision to delete
those posts were because they did not lend any answers to the issues
or questions. It was SPAM, much like your post was.

We don't allow spam on ozzu - not sure why this is so hard to
comprehend for people. For the record, I am not angry. I'm simply
enforcing the policies we have here, and if anyone has a problem with
these rules, you are more than welcome to contact bigwebmaster about it.

felix has made his decision, and I think this topic is toast.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts