control pannel required

• anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ,

I am looking for a control pannel which will be useful in both mail and web hosting .
Also it should be freely avalable to me

Please reply with your suggessins

regards
anilk
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not really sure what it is you are asking for to be honest.

I imagine you are wanting a free web host, if so check...

Fortune City
Pro Hosting
50Megs

There are quite alot more, just type "Free web host" on Google
  • anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ,

I actually want both mail and web hosting together .
Its actually a control Pannel kind of a software

here each and every user is provided with a control pannel access .

sw-soft is one which gives u free control pannel , but it contains quite a few bugs

I hope u got my point :D

Thanks for the links ,
i am working on it

thanks a ton
  • anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi ,

FYi ,

it s actually u can host multiple domains ( mail and web )on that single software (application) .

regards
Anil
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

i mean.. webmin does some of everyting. If you want something that's going to be robust and reliable though, you're best off not going free.. and getting something like cPanel.. I'm not sure about what you're looking to do exactly.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello anilk,

Do you have your own server?

I dont really have alot of experience with free control panels - however, my understanding is that they are all quite buggy.

I would avoid cPanel like the plague - plus, the overall cost of ownership is pretty steep..

Try taking a look at a product like h-sphere - 1 time cost of $3.50-$4.50 per license...

Hope this helps..
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hello anilk,

I dont really have alot of experience with free control panels - however, my understanding is that they are all quite buggy.

I would avoid cPanel like the plague - plus, the overall cost of ownership is pretty steep..

Try taking a look at a product like h-sphere - 1 time cost of $3.50-$4.50 per license...

Hope this helps..

out of curiousity, what do you have against c-panel. mail me privately if you don't want to make a big deal about it here or something.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
out of curiousity, what do you have against c-panel.

LOL - this could take awhile...

First off, there are many good cPanel hosts - Im not trying to attack any provider with this post. However, why any good provider would knowingly choose cPanel is another question all together - maybe they are just used to it, maybe they started off this way and are now stuck (as cost of migration is too high), maybe they feel that they need to provide cPanel to compete, as this is what their potential customers are used to, or maybe, they seriously believe cPanel is the best solution - either way, Im not here to judge - but, here is my opinion of cPanel...

- cPanel is a "decent" control panel

- Works with add-on, modular functionality - vs core, engineered for functionality - this directly leads to problems during upgrades and migrations - anyone who has subdomains, addon domains or various other settings including billing, helpdesk tickets, etc corrupt or mysteriously disappear has experienced the reality of add-ons vs engineered functionality. Additionally, each addon has a development lifecycle, as does cPanel itself - often resulting in upgrade problems and compatability bugs.

- Lack of inherent ability to cluster - now, cPanel "can" be clustered - but again - not an inherent feature - often results in work arounds and many times results in problems, ultimately negating the benefits of clustering in the first place.

- Price point - cPanel has a very specific marketing strategy (simply brilliant one might I add). Their target audience is people/companies with a very low startup budgets. They offer a low monthly fee for their product, which scales depending on add-ons, servers, etc... (disclaimer * many companies, even with good startup budgets, still choose cPanel, for reasons mentioned above) Anyone doing a total cost of ownership study on a control panel before starting their business would simply be insane to choose cPanel - Additionally, the low startup costs generally attract a certain segment of the market. There's a reason just about anyone can become a web host these days - and cPanel's pricing/marketing strategy is that reason (again, I believe their strategy is simply brilliant) - however, a large majority of the problems in this industry are directly related to cPanels marketing strategy. They produce an inferior product in almost every respect - security, durability, stability, functionality - however, they have made themselves attractive to a very broad target audience and have captured a large percentage of the market and mind share. As such, users often (just by laws of probability) will become accustomed to a cPanel environment and hop around from bad experience to bad experience, wondering why every hosting company is horrible. Frankly speaking - short of specific companies, that understand how to properly manage and market a hosting company - a cPanel environment is unmanagebale - specifically if the provider is fighting a pricing war. Essentially, they are guranteed to oversell that server, just to stay in business - eventually, without the proper skills and forsight and without a proper business plan/pricing strategy - an oversold server will crash - it is inevitable.

- what I like to call a cPanel all-in-wonder server. Typically, a cPanel server will run with all resources located locally - think about this for a minute. Control Panel, DNS1, DNS2, web, MySQL, eMail, etc... + as many customers as can be sardined onto that server before adding the next one, and the next one, etc... This is not an optimal way to run a network and eventually, you will have problems - and based on all the horror stories I have been reading - the problems are frequent and severe.

Anyway - Thats the end of my cPanel rant. Im sure I will hear a loud and angry response from many cPanel lovers - so - feel free to let me know how misinformed I am :)
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

well cpanel is the best control panel i have used so far, its even bertter than plesk and ensim. its fast loading and all. most of the hosting companies these days provide cPanel with Fantastico. with cpanel you can do all kinds of things(SQL, Mail, filemanager etc. ) and you have WHM, with which you can create accounts and manage the server. in all cpanel is the best. and about the control panel i'd suggest you go with easyhost, it does all that, its a CGI version. you can find it at http://www.cyberscript.net/products/easyhost/ there is also a free version of this -- with less features of course -- at http://www.cyberscript.net/products/easyhost_free/
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi meisam,

cPanel doesnt offer the scalability, stability or security of Plesk reloaded. But, thats a story for another day.

Quote:
in all cpanel is the best

This is a very interesting statement. I ask you not to confuse what you are most comfortable with, with what is truely the best.

Can I ask you this - Do you have your own server? Have you ever tried to integrate a billing solution into cPanel? Tried to integrate a Helpdesk solution into cPanel? Have you ever upgraded cPanel or upgraded WHM or upgraded any other plugin to cPanel?

You make the claim that cPanel is "fast" - compared to what?

Are you serving all resources, including CP off of a single server?

I see by your signature that you're selling 30 GB bandwith packages for $4.85 and 50 GB for $8.33. May I ask how you come to this pricing model?

Quote:
most of the hosting companies these days provide cPanel with Fantastico.

You will also find that if you researched most consumer hosting horror stories, the providers in question utilize cPanel & fantastico (again, there are some good providers that offer this ) But, there is no denying - almost all of the bad ones do as well - any idea why this is?
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:

Yes i do.

CartikaHosting wrote:
Have you ever tried to integrate a billing solution into cPanel?

yes. i use WHMAuotPilot.

CartikaHosting wrote:
You make the claim that cPanel is "fast" - compared to what?

Compared to ensim. ensim takes forever to load while using slow speed internet connection. cpanel doesnt.

and one more thing. i dont give those plans anymore i have shut down my site for now. the server is still up, all signups are done using another site (owned by Meisam.net of course)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Compared to ensim. ensim takes forever to load while using slow speed internet connection. cpanel doesnt.

Yeah - ensim can be a bit of a dog :)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting:

If you don't mind me asking.. with H-sphere, what would you use to integrate billing and what kind of clustering abilities does it have? Does it have the capability to host different services on different boxes such as one server dedicated for DNS or Mail etc.? I ask this because I'm pretty sure that is not a possibility for cPanel.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi darkermoon,

Quote:
Does it have the capability to host different services on different boxes such as one server dedicated for DNS or Mail etc.? I ask this because I'm pretty sure that is not a possibility for cPanel.

I would prefer to stay away from an "H-Sphere" specific conversation, as, Im obviously biased.

However, there are control panels out there that offer the clustering type of scenario you're talking about - Plesk Reloaded is one (and yes, H-Sphere is another :) ).

We currently do not use Plesk - but, I would not hesitate in doing so -

I believe Musik here on Ozzu offers hosting on Plesk - Although I have seen a couple of posts insinuating they may be considering other options - I urge them to upgrade to the latest version and give it another shot - it is truely one of the better control panels available...

Quote:
what would you use to integrate billing

We dont integrate or plug in anything - a completly integrated billing solution is engineered into our control panel -
  • anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ,

thanks to all of you , for your responses , actually i was away for a few days and hence my responce is delayed .

To answer some of your querries

a. Do you have your own server ?

Ans : No , but i am in process of building up my own server .
This current setup is temporary as testing is on for all the services .

b.what exacly u are looking for ?

Ans : My Plan -- > I am currently looking for a setup which will provide me with both mail and web hosting .
I have tried with sw-soft but it contains lots of bugs and thus i am hesitant enough to go live with the existant setup .
I am currently looking for that kind of a application software which will provide me with the mail and web setup .

Also please note , i am a begineer with not much investments .
the application software should be free and redily awalable like (swsoft)

if you have any suggestions please mail me

suggestions for only web or mail hsoting ( withut the control pannel )
is always welcome , i will test those too befour going live

Regards
Anilk
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

easyhost, it does all that, its a CGI version. you can find it at http://www.cyberscript.net/products/easyhost/ there is also a free version of this -- with less features of course -- at http://www.cyberscript.net/products/easyhost_free/
  • anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks
i will test it and post my responce

thanks

Anilk
  • anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
i visited the URL .
I am a first time visitor to the site and i havent purchased any lisence for easy host and thus the site does'nt allow me to install Easyhost .

it says
"After purchasing at least 1 license for EasyHost you can login to the client manager allowing you to install EasyHost, purchase a new license or update your account details.
If you are unsure of your login information you may retrieve it using the forgot password form. "

Wht shd i do
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can use the free version, or you can try zpanel http://www.thezpanel.com
  • anilk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • anilk

Post 3+ Months Ago