cPanel default indexing setting?

• bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good morning,

I have recently signed up with FastEZHosting and have been sorta happy with them. I've found their response time to be very respectable when trying to sell their service to me, but not very respectable when actually needing support.

Here's my problem:

The default setting for my accounts (I have a reseller account, so these are accounts underneath that) are to have indexing on. As a reminder, this means that users could type in a URL with a folder, like http://www.bjhess.com/ava/ , and see a listing of the files in the directory. I don't like this.

The options for indexing in the index manager are:

Default System Setting
    No Indexes
    Standard Indexing (text only)
    Fancying Indexing (graphics)

These options need changed folder-by-folder and they are defaulted to "Default System Setting." Unfortunately, the default system setting appears to be "Standard Indexing." BAH! I want to change that to "No Indexes."

FastEZHosting's solution is to manually change each directory, and its subdirectories to "No Indexes." I've asked repeatedly for them to find a way to change the system default, and they say there is no way to do this in cPanel. They are not willing to research any shell commands that could do this.

Does anyone out here know of a better way to do things?

Thanks!
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try perhaps CHMODing them.

Theres a way to CHMOD a directory so that when they go there it gives them a 403 Forbidden

I think its like 755 or somthing like that..
but its to take off the public and group read.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately that doesn't really work. It doesn't appear that the cPanel's index setting modifications are actually doing any chmod's. I tested it out and when you get the folder in a state where permission is denied, basically everything underneath it is also denied. There could be a way, but I don't know what it is.

Also, still looking for someone who knows of a way to change the default setting in cPanel.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you add the line:

Options -Indexes

to the .htaccess file in the root directory of a site it should turn off indexing for all directories of that site.

If you add that same line to the .htaccess file in your (/ cpanel3-skel / public_html /) folder the each new account you create in your whm reseller account will have that same .htaccess file and thus indexing will be turned off by default.

I hope that helps.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It appears this works. I haven't had an opportunity to test the new account under my reseller accout since I don't need to make one right now.

Very cool!
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

bjhess wrote:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It appears this works. I haven't had an opportunity to test the new account under my reseller accout since I don't need to make one right now.

Very cool!

Why not make an account for testing purposes and delete it when you are done.

Glad to be able to help.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

By necessity I just created an account. Unfortunately, the .htaccess file didn't propogate to it. No big deal, but just thought I'd follow up.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did any of the other files from the "cpanel3-skel" directory propogate to the newly created account?
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

harryhood wrote:
Did any of the other files from the "cpanel3-skel" directory propogate to the newly created account?

It doesn't appear that I have any other files in my "cpanel3-skel" directory. Just public_html and public_ftp folders, which were in the new accounts when I first FTP'd to them.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

bjhess wrote:

It doesn't appear that I have any other files in my "cpanel3-skel" directory. Just public_html and public_ftp folders, which were in the new accounts when I first FTP'd to them.

Hum. The way it should work is that anything in the /cpanel3-skel/public_html folder gets copied into the public_html folder for the new cpanel account that is created. That way you can have a default page for each new account.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts