CPanel Restore

• jameslio
  • Born
  • Born
  • jameslio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, I've accidently delete my public_html but I've a full backup but when I restore it nothing happen. The admin told me to make a full backup, a home backup and sql backup. Now my question is how do I restore the backup to my websites previous self? What is the different between full backup and home backup? Thanks :D Merry Christmas!!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Full back-up does exactly what it says on the tin, its a back-up of EVERYTHING that is on your server including setups etc. Home back-up is basicaly just your web pages, and bits and peices that you have uploaded. This should be everything you have on your home computer stored on your HDD, never delete anything to do with your site incase you need it again (unless of course your sure you won't need it ever again).

If you have a home back-up of all your pages, documents and movies etc, you can create a new folder on your server called public_html and upload your files again. Don't forget to create the other folders that should be inside public_html such as "cgi-bin" etc.

Merry Christmas to you too.
  • jameslio
  • Born
  • Born
  • jameslio

Post 3+ Months Ago

But how to restore I tried it with full backup it don't work...
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mena you deleted cPanel ?
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

A full backup can only be restored from WHM with the "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file" command.

A home backup can be restored from with the accounts cpanel using the backup -> restore a home backup.
  • jameslio
  • Born
  • Born
  • jameslio

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is a WHM? So I cannot restore full backup using CPANEL? Thanks
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

WHM = WebHost Manager

Yes, you should be able to restore using cPanel. There is a link that takes you to the backup page, once in there you should see an option to restore the most recent copy of your backup.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameslio wrote:
What is a WHM? So I cannot restore full backup using CPANEL? Thanks

Sorry, WHM is Web Host Manager. Correct if you wish to restore a full backup. you will need to contact your hosting provider and ask if they can/will restore the backup for you, since Full backups cannot be restored from with cpanel.

One reason for this is that the account which the Full backup will restore cannot exist on the server prior to the restore. So for your hosting provider to restore the backup for you they will have to terminate your account, then restore the backup, which will re-create your account on the server and restore the files from the full back-up to your account.
  • jameslio
  • Born
  • Born
  • jameslio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see thanks Plenty :) So the only way for me to restore is using the home backup then huh? And restoring the sql
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you only have access to cpanel then restoring a home backup is possible. And yes, you will need to restore sql dbs separately.
  • bagel50
  • Born
  • Born
  • bagel50

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, good information here

I was wondering, within CPanel, to restore a "home backup", how do you do it if it's already on your webserver, in your home directory. That is, is a restore only possible if it's on your PC? Surely not....

Many thanks,

Olly
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

bagel50 wrote:
Hey, good information here

I was wondering, within CPanel, to restore a "home backup", how do you do it if it's already on your webserver, in your home directory. That is, is a restore only possible if it's on your PC? Surely not....

Many thanks,

Olly

There is no option to restore a home backup from within cpanel, with the backup file on the server. It must reside on the local pc accessing cpanel.

One would assume this is for security purposes.
  • bagel50
  • Born
  • Born
  • bagel50

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah, ok. thanks guys!

Olly

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts