CPanel & Server Transfer

• Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I was wondering

I need to perform a server transfer very soon and I was just wondering on which way would be the best

a) I could just perform a backup with CPanel and then download that same zip file of the site and upload and extract it on the new server

b) I could copy everything onto my comp with ftp from the site and then upload it onto the new server thru ftp.

c) I could save the account with the CPanel tools and make the new server load it off the old one

---

The problem with using the CPanel approaches is that it is a web application so I cannot always be sure that it is doing the work (php stops working after about 30's)

I don't know it may be different on the CPanel program, im sure they have good tools for doing this.

---

if anyone has any experience or insight on this topic then feel free to discuss, or if anyone knows which solution should be chosen.

Thanks
  • OSGEN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • OSGEN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe there are a few articles on http://www.webhostingtalk.com and forums.cpanel.net which would be able to provide you with advise.

The easiest way - if you have root access - is to do a wholesale copy of the old server to the new server. Otherwise, you will have to copy account by account.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have root on both of the servers use the WHM Mutiple Transfer link. It will package, copy transfer and set everything up on the new server just fine. Well at least 99% of the time. That 1% accounts for minor problems eg: if going from linux to freebsd the packages directory may not have been created on the freebsd box. Touch that and you are good to go. If you use a non standard port you will need to reset it to 22 for the transfer. I also suggest if you are going to assign dedicated IP's to any sites that you do them seperately or assign the IP's once the transfer is complete. However if the site on the old server has a cert do it seperately and assign the IP during the transfer. If you don't like the IP it assigned you can always change it once you have transfered it.

If you dont have root on both servers then your options get a little slimmer. Nevertheless it can still be done without much trouble. The pkagcct and backup scripts work great. Hope this helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts