crazy biz

• cmtusa
  • Born
  • Born
  • cmtusa

Post 3+ Months Ago

An associate and I were talking recently about hosting companies (specifically whether or not it was a marketable venture at this point). We've both been in the hosting business for a short time, and we were wondering if most of you (small companies obviously) focused all your time on the hosting company, or if, instead, your hosting company was ONE of a number of ventures. Both of us are under the impression that our hosting business has the potential to become our primary means of income, but, of course, we are newbies and so we do wonder if we're simply being naive at this point. So tell us, is a realistic expectation? Are many of you making enough to sustain yourselves without other means of income. Tell us your stories. We're interested in hearing from some of the more experienced hosts on this one.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WickedSkySoftware
  • Loc: Peoria, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say it depends on how much effort you put in it. If you promote your site, have a good design/concept, provide EXCELLENT customer support and stick with it then you can achieve great things. If you are serious about hosting then the best way is to get your own servers running at your business location so you have control of your own server and will always know what's going on under the hood.

Hosting is just a portion of our services. We also provide web design and we combine the two for a complete package. It takes a lot of time and patience to get any new business off the ground. It may seem like a slow start but it will eventually be worth it. Provide excellent customer support and your name will spread like wire fire !! :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

with my company its only a small section of what we do and we dont run our own servers - most important features for us in a hosting company, top tech support (within 24 hours at least) - competitive prices (dont mind paying a little bit more for better service) - minimal downtime (who wants to have a site hosted if its never online ;)).

Good luck with your new possible venture. There is money to be made if your smart with pricing & service :D
  • monster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because it is a very competative market, try to find a niche.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

monster wrote:
Because it is a very competative market, try to find a niche.

I think saturated is a better word. Anyone and everyone is running a
hosting company these days. The ones with the best reps are obviously
the successful ones.

I run a hosting company for my clients, as well as host myself. Although
I don't advertise, it's plenty profitable for me considering I spend a
very minimal amount of time on it.

Anyway, Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts