creating a forum

• coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,
I'm interested in starting a forum and have no experience with this sort of thing.
Just looking for some advice on the subject and an idea of the some of the prices.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Prices will vary greatly, depending on how you decide to run it and what forum solution you chose to use. For example, the most popular forum software options are vBulletin, phpBB and Invasion Power Board. vBulletin($195) and Invasion($150) are both paid options and phpBB is free. Another question is your hosting. You can range from $5-10 per month for a shared hosting solution up to a few hundred per month for a dedicated server.

If you figure those out, we can help you come up with some more accurate costs and figure out what kind of solution you guys need.
  • coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the quick reply poly.
I think vBulletin would work well for us and I believe a shared solution would be enough to get us started. What would be some of the prominent differences between shared hosting and dedicated when it comes to a forum?
  • coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone give me some advice on this? I'm looking to get things rolling with this forum...
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It will all depend on how much resources the forum is using. I would probably start out on a shared solution until your forum starts getting a lot of users. The shared solutions will kick you out as soon as you start costing them too much money.

Another advantaged to shared is they take care of keeping the servers security up to date, where as on a dedicated you have to do it yourself, or pay somebody to do it for you. Same with keeping the HTTP server secure. There are managed solutions that will do this, in exchange for a certain fee, which will depend on which dedicated server company you go with.
  • coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok great thanks poly,
so whats the next step?
Is there anyone you can refer me to for shared hosting solutions?
Do I just goto the vbulletin website for the forum service?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your next step would be to shop around for a shared hosting company. Ozzu also offers shared hosting that you may want to check out, and if you have any problems getting vBulletin installed I can help you out.

If you are planning on using vBulletin, then yes, you will need to goto their website to purchase the software.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Your next step would be to shop around for a shared hosting company. Ozzu also offers shared hosting that you may want to check out, and if you have any problems getting vBulletin installed I can help you out.

If you are planning on using vBulletin, then yes, you will need to goto their website to purchase the software.

phpBB is free and it comes with fantisco(cpanel)
  • coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion demon... is there any advantages Vbulletin has over phpBB?
I'm thinking about getting one of the hosting packages ozzu offers. However I'm living in Korea and will getting the site started over here, will this be an issue with website speed or anything like that?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

For any website you visit, typically you will notice the best site speeds with servers that are located really close to you. However, even though servers may be across the world that doesn't mean it can't load fast for you. Does Ozzu load fast for your Coaster? Anyone who chooses one of Ozzu's hosting packages are located in one of the same datacenters as this Ozzu website, so the performance as far as data transfer would be very similar.
  • coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey webmaster,
yea Ozzu does load pretty fast for me actually. I'm interested in a hosting package for sure. How does getting a domain name work?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been using SMF for 5+ years and more now and i find that to be not only free but a very expandable forum with room to build it how ever you want. Mostly secure too, i have seen more exploits for vb phpbb and IPB then SMF and this is from someone who lurks packet storm on their every release.

You can choose what you want but i personally suggest SMF over anything. As for hosting yes Ozzu does provide and really i won't argue with their services and at least you know the admins know what their doing :)

As for the domain name most domain registry's do .com's for 7$ a year.

Once you have the domain you can set up your hosting then forward the domain using name servers to the hosting server then cpanel has a nice little add on which should be on most servers anyhow due to the amount of time it saves which can install the software and set everything for you in a few clicks.

Once everything is setup on the internet and internal side then you can set your form and start posting.

If you need help just post up and we can help np.

hhmm i just noticed this is a old topic.........delete the post if needed :)
  • coaster1
  • coaster1

Post 3+ Months Ago

awesome, appreciate the help guys :)
  • postcd
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • postcd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, i have vbulletin and phpbb forum scripts at instantcpanelhosting dot com , quite satisfied with it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts