Creating Your Own Web Server?

• NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
Is it possible to be your own host? I've got a PC im not using and have been wanting to turn it into a web server. I have set up IIS before but that is just for your local network; Intranet (correct?).
I want to be able to actually serve my pages to the Internet outside my network, like a real hosting service with my own domain and everything. Or is it possible to set up IIS on my local network but access the web pages from outside my network??
Any tutorials, articles, or posts on this subject would help.

Thanks,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webfreak
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webfreak

Post 3+ Months Ago

First thing first, does your ISP allow you to create a webserver?
  • NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure... My ISP is Roadrunner and I have a cable connection. I assume I would need to get a static IP from them, right? Also, the comp i wanna turn into the server is connected through my one router and cable modem from RR. Will this effect anything?
  • webfreak
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webfreak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your ISP does not allow you to host a webserver, unless you have express consent. If you did it without their knowledge and consent, they could terminate your service.

See 5a:
http://help.twcable.com/html/twc_sub_agreement.html
  • NetzzJD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NetzzJD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that settles that. Is there any way to view my local intranet from a comp outside my network?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could use something like Remote Desktop to remote into a PC on your network and then you can access your intranet.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... entdl.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... intro.mspx
  • gr8support
  • gr8support

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are thinking of turning your own pc into a server that's the best ever thing from my point of view as you are the sole owner and the only person that manages it and you do not have to pay anyone for providing support for your server. It's also easy setting up your own webserver with a low cost. I would prefer you to have a linux os installed on your webserver, go for an dedicated IP address from your ISP and just install a good control panel to manage your sites such as cpanel, ensim or plesk. The best thing with this will be that you can have your own server and you can can also earn by hotsing sites of others at reasonable rates which you can decide afterwards when all things have been set up. Hope you like my idea.
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can also use VNC.
  • lifeanatomy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lifeanatomy
  • Loc: England!

Post 3+ Months Ago

webfreak wrote:
First thing first, does your ISP allow you to create a webserver?

How do i find out whether my ISP allows me to create a webserver. i use wanadoo but am not completely sure wther this is acctually the ISP? I've been searching through the terms or service and it doesn't appear to make any mention of webservers so i'm presuming i am allowed to set one up.
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

What isp do you have, I might already know the answer.

However you can put the webserver on a different port or use a service like no-ip.org to just read the information from the computer on the non-default port and show it as if it did (port forwarding). If you need help just pm me.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts