Data Skyscrapers

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't companies build skyscrapers for use as data centers instead of really wide 1-3 story buildings that take up a lot of space ?
Doesn't it get windier the higher you go ?
Couldn't you use that wind to cool servers ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are 100 reasons why but I'll address your question on the wind. Skyscrapers aren't built with windows that open anymore for a number of reasons. Two are, it kills the HVAC system & it's dangerous.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if there were no windows ?

Duct systems that work like wind tunnels could be setup between floors and the ceiling/floor vents could connect to it. It could be sealable for times when using the outside air was going to do more harm than good.

Are there wind turbines that could fit inside of air ducts like this, perhaps one per-foot ? I wonder how much such turbines would interefere with the cooling of the server rooms.

I'm interested in hearing these 100 other reasons why there's not skyscraper data centers. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might find this informative:

http://hightech.lbl.gov/DCTraining/best ... nical.html
  • zwtseo
  • zwtseo

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
What if there were no windows ?

Duct systems that work like wind tunnels could be setup between floors and the ceiling/floor vents could connect to it. It could be sealable for times when using the outside air was going to do more harm than good.

Are there wind turbines that could fit inside of air ducts like this, perhaps one per-foot ? I wonder how much such turbines would interefere with the cooling of the server rooms.

I'm interested in hearing these 100 other reasons why there's not skyscraper data centers. :D

I agree with you joebert...btw...this is truly mind boggling question
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wind may make people cooler but it doesn't make objects cooler. I worked in a 40 story office building where 2 gas turbines cooled & or heated the entire building. Putting something in the duct system on each floor wouldn't work & would cost double.

Building high instead of wide costs more as well. Water pressure from the street only goes up about 6 floors. Anything higher than that requires pumps & tanks to get the water to the upper floors. For hot water, the cold water has to return from the tank on the roof to be heated & sent up again. That's just for what's called house water. Installation of sprinkler systems in case of a fire also costs less in a lower building.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if in place of windows, there were solar panels ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of which, ever seen BP Solar? Don't laugh. It's a long one or two story building like most datacenters.

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
AISO.net powers its data center with 120 solar panels that generate DC power, which is then run through an inverter and stored in batteries.The company also uses cooling systems from Freus Inc. that use less power than coinventional chillers.

http://www.aiso.net/technology-network-sun.html

Looks like they employ some other green technologies as well. They're 'Sun Energized, Water Fueled, & Air Powered'.

Update: Here's a blog that shows a picture of their panels & discusses a bit.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now would be a good time to discuss this with the NSA (National Security Agency), which is about to build a 1-million-square-foot data center at Utah's Camp Williams.

Quote:
The enormous building, which will have a footprint about three times the size of the Utah State Capitol building, will be constructed on a 200-acre site near the Utah National Guard facility's runway.

Quote:
It will also require at least 65 megawatts of power -- about the same amount used by every home in Salt Lake City combined. A separate power substation will have to be built at Camp Williams to sustain that demand, said Col. Scott Olson, the Utah National Guard's legislative liaison.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12735293
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that's the article that prompted me to bring up skyscrapers ATNO. :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think at some point someone would have brought up alternatives to the new power plans. Way to really stick to your guns and show Americans how you want them to save energy, goverment. Shall I just go ahead and disregard all the other White House emails I get from the mailing list, too?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Shall I just go ahead and disregard all the other White House emails I get from the mailing list, too?

If you're not a government employee or an employee of a company with government contracts, it probably wouldn't make a difference either way.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why you say that? It's coming from the new update feature that they put up when they changed the site. Supposed to be part of their open government thing, i think. It's intended for the gen. pop.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What good does knowing what the government is doing via a mailing list do for you ?

How will any of the information provided change your life in any way by knowing about it ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

As opposed to blindly accepting what the government does and just not caring what they have to say? Even if I choose to react in a negative way to what they say and write to my politician, it's still affected my life in that I took the initiative to do something about it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me rephrase my questions, how does it change your life as it was before reading about what they're doing pissed you of enough to write to a politician ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couldn't the same be said about any type of 'informative' media - internet, TV, radio, newspapers, books, you name it?

If the choice is between knowing and understanding or just not caring to know, I prefer to know. To each his own, but when it's something rather large-scale, like the government that runs the nation I live in, I choose knowledge.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts