DDOS attacks?

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Due to some Issues on a server I own, I would like to ask, Is there anything specific I can do to improve my security against DDOS attacks?

Some Guy for some unknown reason is stating that he is going to perfom DDOS attacks on my server.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't worry about it. I never knew a hit man to announce a hit.

Do you know the person or know anything about him? How did he convey that to you?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I know the person, I recieved Phone calls from the person. To be honest I do not know his computer skills. Basically he is someone who is jealous of me In a way and he is trying to seek revenge.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If he calls you again, tell him don't call here anymore. If he continues, you call him at 2 AM.

Your server isn't in any danger from him.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps the most important lesson you will ever learn is this.

Quote:
Nobody mugs a poor man

Any time you open your mouth from now on, remember that quote. I guarentee you will run into less problems like this.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did not provoke this Joebert. He is simply annoyed with me for 2 reasons. One of them was becuase he got a ban from one of my forums. The other is a personal matter.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not be overly concerned.

Anyone who would so vacuously divulge such malicious intent typically hasnot the means of delivery.

Even if this person were capable of such, foreknowledge in the form of your phone conversations, forum posts or emails serves as legal record for recourse.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I have recorded one phone call from this person. Also I am trying to secure the server as much as I can.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't agree with that saying. Poor people get robbed all the time.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Install a good firewall, and keep your software up to date. You'll be fine. You can also implement a script that drops multiple connections from the same IP, capping it at say 10.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
Install a good firewall, and keep your software up to date. You'll be fine. You can also implement a script that drops multiple connections from the same IP, capping it at say 10.

Are we presuming he has this 'server' under his desk or at some hosting complex? If at a hosting complex, one would hope they would be well versed in system security measures.
If at home, "install good firewall" becomes a matter of perspective. Define "good firewall" wen used in the "home" context. ;)

Also, with DDOS, rarely will you see many connections from a single source IP; hence the term Distributed Denial Of Service. :) We are to presume (again) that this person has under their span of control enough home broadband connections to effectively dismantle hosting provider's bandwidth.

I'll reiterate, with someone who announced their intent, knowing you were aware of their actual persona... I would place a bet they have not the 'skilz0rs'.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

My server Is at a hosting complex, But the hosting complex is about 15 minutes from my house.
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, some hosts are now using TippingPoint prevention. This unit prevents these kinds of issues before they happen and it has a complex algorithm for determining all kinds of intrustions, it's pretty awesome. But the low-end model costs $50,000 and the high-end model costs $200,000. So only a number of hosts i'd imagine are using this.
  • funnyface
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funnyface
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

DDOS protection is really expensive, I heard that there are solutions that cost around $1000.l
  • harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, there is no assured protection against ddos attack, you need to keep on updating security patches, also a hardware firewall may ensure you some level of security though it cost you high.

You can consider Cisco ASA 5510 Firewall which may ensure you more security.

Just my opinion ;)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only way your firewall can help at all, is if it contains some stateful deep packet inspection algorithms. You also need some FWLB (Firewall Load Balancers) to handle the processing.

Typically, DDOS against a host involve proper packets; just lots of them to fill up the pipe.

The only true protection would be more bandwidth than they can muster.

Which is why I have 6 OC-48's. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts