Dedicated Servers

• Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where do you guys buy your dedicated servers and what places would you reccomend.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Darkfoxx
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rackspace (http://www.rackspace.com) has been around for a while...
They even have a live chat, should you have any questions.
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

Darkfoxx wrote:
Rackspace (http://www.rackspace.com) has been around for a while...
They even have a live chat, should you have any questions.

I have checked out their site as I have seen they host WHT, but their price range is a bit over my buget. I am looking for servers in the $100.00 price range.
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any one have any help or suggestions...
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do an EBAY search for compaq proliant pentium iii and you will find quite a bit. if you are lucky you may find a dual system with around 512 ram for right at or just a little over $100. Anything more is a pipe dream in your price range.

Good luck
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jako,

I take it you are looking to lease a dedicated server in a facility vs purchasing one and colocating it somewhere - is this correct?

The most reliable places to lease a dedicated server in your general price range is theplanet and servermatrix. However, I do believe they will still be more then $100/month - even for the low end stuff.

As a general rule - I would probably advise against paying so little for a dedicated server - though obviously we all have budgets to work with. However, you may have other, more viable options.

A cheap dedicated is a dangerous game - what you're really paying for with dedicated servers is service. Sure - you are getting ot use hardware, with various configurations, as well as an alotment of bandwith - and obviously monthly price will vary depending on server config and bandwith - however, at the end of the day - its all about service. How long will a reboot request take? Will anyone be available at 4 am Christmas Eve to reboot the server - or are you down until Monday.

I gues it really comes down to what you are going to use the server for. If this is for your own hobby site - maybe a semi-busy forum and youre not overly concerned with uptime - then sure - go pick up the cheapest dedicated box you can find and go from there.

If you're running a site, or several sites, or a business - and you require reliability - find something that fits into your budget, but will provide you the reliability you require.

Maybe a high end reseller account? Maybe a VPS solution?

Provide us with some additional information around your actual requirements - and Im sure we can stear you in the right direction.
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the great reply Andrew, may I ask where you buy your dedicated servers from?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jako,

We procure the majority of our servers from theplanet - in combination with a 3rd party server management and hardening company.

However, I am still quite curious about your requirements?

May I ask why you are shopping for a dedicated server? Is it for your hosting business?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

btw guys, what are dedicated servers price range?
just curious..
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi madmonk,

Dedicated server prices really range for $50 and up (and by up, I mean upto $10,000-$20,000/month and more)

It really depends on:

a) What sort of hardware you're looking for
b) Amount of Bandwith
c) Quality of Bandwith
d) Amount of Additional services
e) Data Center Quality and redundancy

For the typical user/hosting company - Id say a dedicated server ranges from $50-$1000 each. Again, depending on how well the company has addressed a-e above.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:

Dedicated server prices really range for $50 and up (and by up, I mean upto $10,000-$20,000/month and more)

Much more in some cases. ;)

Heh.
  • Jako
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Jako

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hi Jako,

We procure the majority of our servers from theplanet - in combination with a 3rd party server management and hardening company.

However, I am still quite curious about your requirements?

May I ask why you are shopping for a dedicated server? Is it for your hosting business?

Yes, it will be for my hosting business, do you buy yours directly from the planet, or from a satellite such as SM...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jako,

Directly from theplanet. Their base support is better through this channel (at least in my experience)

If its in your budget - invest the extra dollars for disksync - simply amazing backup/recovery tool - works on a per DB & per domain basis. Not alot of money - but, has saved my butt more then a few times :)
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

try managed.com, thats where i get mine from
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've used Server Beach (note the link does include my referral code, cos anyone that signs up through it earns $100 for me and themselves :D - if you don't want the referral just use http://www.serverbeach.com) for a couple of years now, they're wickedly cheap but they've always looked after me. Some of their servers start at $79 a month, although if you want control panels and such like it's a bit more, but not a lot.

They're an offshoot of Rackspace - and their support has always been good to me. They offer remote reboot which fixes 95% of problems (especially on windows servers - lol)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts