• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

...ooops...
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say, that is the most informative and well-conceived query I have seen in a long time; certainly deserved of an adequate answer.
I just wish I could give it to you.
I know DNS, but I have no idea how Plesk works. I know that those entries you have listed, if thrown as such into a db file for bind will barf completely.

Typically, one would have all queries (using the '@' symbol in the top of the DNS record DB) point to 'ns1.<domain>.' (add the ending period)
Perhaps another to 'ns2.<domain>.'
[Example:
@ (from above in the ttl section , it carries forward to the end)

IN NS ns1.katrinaskorner.com.
IN NS ns2.katrinascorner.com.

Later in the db, you point the ns1 to the IP.
ns1 IN A <IP>

NOTE, you do NOT add the entire domain name, that is what the DB file is for -- it appends the domain name to whatever is presented in the first column.

The same goes for the rest of your entries. You would not put http://www.katrinaskorner.com IN A <IP>
... as this is an entry for the domain itself.
It would look more like
www IN A <IP>
ftp IN A <IP>

Etc.

Does the tool automatically build the in-addr.arpa domain files?

Of course you need zone files, which of course point to the appropriate db on your name server for the domain -- though I will assume it's just the one.
Basically, I am no help since I have never used a GUI interface in someone elses environment.

As such, I'll just shut up now and hope someone else who has familiarity with the GUI can clarify.
  • Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Follow Up: Thank you for the reply Daemon. It was indeed of some help, and inadvertantly, you may have pointed me in the right direction...

Upon closer inspection in the "DNS" area of Plesk, I found that when entering DNS entries for certain types, such as NS or A, it automatically adds the domain name for you. So I was basically creating entries that looked something like this: katrinaskorner.com.katrinaskorner.com

That was obviously a problem.

I went through and corrected all of my entries, my DNS records now look like this:

(EDITED OUT)

Immediately after making these changes, I went to http://www.dnsreport.com/ and checked, I got the exact same errors as before.

Can you see what I may be doing wrong with these entries?

Can you run the test on http://www.dnsreport.com/ and help me to interpret the errors?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

katrina wrote:
Follow Up: Thank you for the reply Daemon. It was indeed of some help, and inadvertantly, you may have pointed me in the right direction...

Upon closer inspection in the "DNS" area of Plesk, I found that when entering DNS entries for certain types, such as NS or A, it automatically adds the domain name for you. So I was basically creating entries that looked something like this: katrinaskorner.com.katrinaskorner.com

That was obviously a problem.

Yeah, that is precisely what I was talking about. :)

katrina wrote:

I went through and corrected all of my entries, my DNS records now look like this:

216.69.163.75 / 24 PTR katrinaskorner.com.
<domain>. A 216.69.163.75
<domain>. MX (10) mail.katrinaskorner.com.
<domain>. NS ns1.katrinaskorner.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.katrinaskorner.com.
ftp.<domain>. A 216.69.163.75
mail.<domain>. A 216.69.163.75
ns1.<domain>. A 216.69.178.228
ns2.<domain>. A 216.69.178.229
webmail.<domain>. A 216.69.163.75
http://www. CNAME katrinaskorner.com.

Immediately after making these changes, I went to http://www.dnsreport.com/ and checked, I got the exact same errors as before.

Can you see what I may be doing wrong with these entries?

Can you run the test on http://www.dnsreport.com/ and help me to interpret the errors?

Again, this is plesk-ish, and resembles nothing of Bind. I did a dig, and the domain seems non-existent -- at least where DNS is concerned.
I ran the DNS report, well ok, I did it myself... and I have to say; something is really messed up. :)

If you are running your own NS, why are you using plesk? (Just out of curiosity)
I really don't know how to use that GUI tool, and the interface seems to want much different input data than I would use when setting up a bind server.
None of your nameservers are answering as authority for your zone, nor are any NS records even located. Your parent TLD seems to know about your IP's, therefore it's safe to assume you're registered, but your DNS is mis-configured.

Your start of authority section is completely hosed.

Here's an example;

Code: [ Select ]
@    IN   SOA   ns1.domain.com.  hostmaster.domain.com. (
            2005022800       ; Serial
            2H               ; Refresh
            30M              ; Retry
            1W               ; Expire
            10M )             ; Negative TTL
    IN   NS   ns1.domain.com.
    IN   NS   ns2.domain.com.
    IN   NS   ns.domain.com.
  1. @    IN   SOA   ns1.domain.com.  hostmaster.domain.com. (
  2.             2005022800       ; Serial
  3.             2H               ; Refresh
  4.             30M              ; Retry
  5.             1W               ; Expire
  6.             10M )             ; Negative TTL
  7.     IN   NS   ns1.domain.com.
  8.     IN   NS   ns2.domain.com.
  9.     IN   NS   ns.domain.com.

The hostmaster part os the email, with a '.' instead of the '@'. -- RFC, have to do it that way.

As I said, I have only ever built from cli -- never used a tool. I hope someone can be of more help than I.

Let me know if you ever decide to use bind without some front end gui tool. ;)

Cheers.
  • Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, I am missing something here for sure. BTW, I just ordered a 600 page book on bind a few days ago. Maybe that will help...

Does anybody know of a service, where person to person, you can talk with someone and pay them an hourly fee to simply set up your DNS for you?

I really haven't got the time for what this is turning into unfortunately. And I only plan on running the one domain on the entire server, with room for growth of bandwidth. I just need basic DNS setup for me...

Grrr...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello katrina,

With plesk installed, you really shouldnt need to go through all of the steps you outlined.

Try disabling all the DNS zones in plesk - then manually entering your master/slave (ns1 and ns2) records)

Once this is done and you get appropriate reports from dnsstuff, then go ahead and add your mx records, etc...

Im not a plesk expert by any means - but, the few I have set up really werent overly difficult. I think you are suffering from "make this more complex" then it needs to be. The advantage with an interface like plesk is that it will configure all this for you, vs going in and manually configuring bind.

If you wish to drop a GUI like plesk, then all your manual configurations will be required. But, as of right now, I believe your manual server configs are conflisting with plesk and causing you all sorts of issues...
  • Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for replying.

I just don't know how to navigate PLESK. I don't understand what all the icons are and where they take you and what they do, etc... All I've done thus far is follow instructions posted in tutorials all over the 'net by former confused PLESK users.

Even if I wanted to follow your advice, I couldn't. Because I wouldn't know how. :oops:

If you want to humor me with step-by-step instructions, I would love it.

BTW, what is "dnsstuff"???
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Katrina,

LOL - if you were using H-Sphere, I could walk you through step by step - though, I do have some advise for you. Search for plesk hosts - many will have falsh tutorials on their control panel on their site (as we do with hsphere) - the flash tutorials will give you a step by step..

Hope this helps...
  • Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you again for your reply. I checked out a couple of the flash tutorials after you suggested it and I can not make sense of them, because they imply a mid-level understanding of DNS (that I do not possess)...

What I really need is a service where for a certain amount of dollars an hour a professional will help me via IM to get this straightened out. I don't plan on being a reseller or anything like that. I just plan on running my company's website on this server. And I desperately need to get business going. I have days and weeks of html and css work that needs to be done, and I can't touch a thing until this damn DNS issue is resolved!

Does ANYONE know of such a service?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Katrina,

I would really recommend going with a hosting provider that will help you set this up. If your current host will not do it, maybe its time to find another one.

The problem is, you are on a VDS - so, maybe shop around for a managed VPS (where someone will be available to perform these sorts of tasks) - or switch to a mid-large reseller account - where the host will help you set up all this stuff and manage the higher level technical aspects for you.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you try searching for a Plesk forum? I can not imagine one does not exist. I am sure they are 2nd or 3rd most popular control panel on the market today.
  • Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya, I tried searching for about two weeks. I have been more than patient. Most of the forums, tutorials, and literature available "assumes" that the user has a mid- to high-level of DNS knowledge.

Which I guess is my fault for getting in over my head. But the answer is yes, I have probably spent somewhere between 30 and 40 hours in the past two weeks searching and reading on this topic.

Either way, this has been solved now. I was actually able to find a functional support monkey at GoDaddy who set it up for me for a fee of $50 in about an hour.

I appreciate the help here though. Especially from CartikaHosting. If GoDaddy does me wrong, I will go your way.

Thanks again!
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Katrina,

Im really pleased to hear you got this resolved. Nothing more frustrating then spending this much time on something.

NP on the help, but honestly, I think Daemon Guy did most of the work :)
  • Katrinas Korner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh ya, thanks to Daemonguy also! :oops:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts