DNS server has been up 1 week and still getting parked page

• angeldyne2007
  • Born
  • Born
  • angeldyne2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

:idea: Hi there i have a question :idea:

I have a Win 2k server box computername win2ksvr with AD, DNS and WAMP(webserver) http://www.wampserver.com/en/

I have done the following
Registered a domain name (angeldyne.com) from godaddy.com.
Set the name servers at godaddy.com to,
    #1 win2ksvr.angeldyne.com (My box)
    #2 ns1.secureserver.net(godaddy.com default)

Here is the info page from godaddy.com

Code: [ Select ]
Protection:  Inactive
Locked:  Locked
Expires On:  12/29/2007
Auto Renews:  Off
Registration Type:  Private
Whois Type:  Standard
CashParking:  Disabled

Name Servers: (Last Update 2/7/2007) 
WIN2KSVR.ANGELDYNE.COM
NS2.SECURESERVER.NET

Forwarding: 
Domain is not forwarded.

Hosting: Not hosted here. 
Manage Hosting Accounts
  1. Status:  Active
  2. Protection:  Inactive
  3. Locked:  Locked
  4. Registered:  12/28/2006 
  5. Expires On:  12/29/2007
  6. Auto Renews:  Off
  7. Registration Type:  Private
  8. Whois Type:  Standard
  9. CashParking:  Disabled
  10. Name Servers: (Last Update 2/7/2007) 
  11. WIN2KSVR.ANGELDYNE.COM
  12. NS2.SECURESERVER.NET
  13. Forwarding: 
  14. Domain is not forwarded.
  15. Hosting: Not hosted here. 
  16. Manage Hosting Accounts

set my AD domain to angeldyne.com
installed dns ...
Forward Lookup zone #1
        standard primary zone type (non AD itegrated)
        named angeldyne.com
        SoA(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com.192.168.0.4)<default>
        NS(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com. 192.168.0.4)<default>
        AHost(win2ksvr 192.168.0.4)<default>
        AHost(same as parent 192.168.0.4)<i made>
  1. Forward Lookup zone #1
  2.         standard primary zone type (non AD itegrated)
  3.         named angeldyne.com
  4.         SoA(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com.192.168.0.4)<default>
  5.         NS(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com. 192.168.0.4)<default>
  6.         AHost(win2ksvr 192.168.0.4)<default>
  7.         AHost(same as parent 192.168.0.4)<i made>

Forward Lookup zone #2
        standard primary zone type (non AD itegrated)
        named www.angeldyne.com
        SoA(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com.192.168.0.4)<default>
        NS(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com. 192.168.0.4)<default>
        AHost(win2ksvr 192.168.0.4)<default>
        AHost(same as parent 192.168.0.4)<i made>
  1. Forward Lookup zone #2
  2.         standard primary zone type (non AD itegrated)
  3.         named www.angeldyne.com
  4.         SoA(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com.192.168.0.4)<default>
  5.         NS(same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com. 192.168.0.4)<default>
  6.         AHost(win2ksvr 192.168.0.4)<default>
  7.         AHost(same as parent 192.168.0.4)<i made>

Once the second Forward zone was made i did a refresh after which it created a sub folder of the first zone called (www) with a NS record (same as parent win2ksvr.angeldyne.com. 192.168.0.4) so at this point i belive my records are correct ... IF NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

now here is my problem my DNS server has been up for 1 week and i am still getting the default page from godaddy.com when i goto http://angeldyne.com or http://www.angeldyne.com. i know that the webserver is working correctly because when i goto http://localhost/ i get my webpage. do i need to tell my wamp server (apache2) to use the dns server or to use http headers ? if so where would i edit that information ? and could you give me an example.

Also i was planing on putting in a email server on this machine as well but i know nothing about MX records ... could you give me an example of a standard mx record and how to use it ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. and thanks ahead of time for the help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are getting the default godaddy still because one of your nameservers you have on your domain is still the godaddy nameserver for the parked domain. You need to change them both to yours or you will have this problem from time to time.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For running a windows server, I believe you've overlooked some steps.

1. You need to have a static IP address assigned by your ISP. This generally requires a business account. Check with your ISP.
2. Your ISP routes THEIR name servers to your static IP for your domain name.
3. You need to open port 80 on your fire wall and point it to your Windows Server internal IP address. In this case it looks like 192.168.0.4 (this should be static so it doesn't change). You will need to open other ports for FTP and Mail if you wish to add those.
4. At godaddy, point your domain name to your ISP's name servers. Not your Windows machine name.
  • angeldyne2007
  • Born
  • Born
  • angeldyne2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the reply .. i did check what you suggested and i do have a static external and internal IP and Port 80 is indeed opened, and as far as the NS for godaddy.com still being in the mix .. thier DNSing allows for a minimum of 2 nameservers and i only have 1 DNS server so i have no choice but to leave the ns1.securesever.net as a secondary NS, i did however manage to get the dnsing to work somehow ... i managed to botch the IP address in one of the NS records and now i belive that it is working properly however since all my computers are on the same network as the webserver i have no way of telling if my site is actually accessible from the internet for others ... could one of you please try to goto http://angeldyne.com and http://www.angeldyne.com to see if it is accessible. they should be the same website that is not a godaddy.com page

Thanks
~jay~
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

angeldyne.com not accessible. http://www.angeldyne.com is still parked. Problem is your ISP webserver you are using as a name server most likely isn't in the root server routing tables. Therefore none of the backbone servers know where to route it to. You should still use your ISP's name servers and have them add your domain to their routing tables.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also I just realized your are using a 192 address. That is a private address, and would not work for you. Like ATNO/TW said, you will need to obtain a static public IP addrses from your webhost / ISP. Usually with an ISP that would be a business type account and would cost more. You seem to have many issues at the moment that still need to be resolved if you wish this to work for you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
thier DNSing allows for a minimum of 2 nameservers and i only have 1 DNS server

Additionally, you have to realise that your "DNS server" is not a "Name Server". An ISPs name servers are going to have routing tables that your DNS server is not going to have. Additionally, godaddy is not going to know where to look for your DNS server for the same reason. It is not on their routing tables. When your ISP translates your domain name to your external static IP address, that in turn propogates to the entire internet backbone routers.

Your DNS server routes to various machines in your internal network and lets incoming port 80 requests know how to resolve your domain name to the webserver machine.

Basically when you point godaddy to your ISP's name servers, that information gets propogated to the world's backbone servers. Then when someone types your domain in their web browser the routing servers now know to forward that request to your ISP's name servers.

Your ISPs name servers know that domain is associated with your external IP address and then forwards the request there. Your router/firewall then knows to forward the request via port 80 to your DNS server which then translates that request to the internal IP address of your webserver - 192.168.0.4.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts