Does Web Hosting affect SEO Rankings ?

• VandanaSeo
  • Born
  • Born
  • VandanaSeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have many .co.uk web sites hosted on UK server, now I am planning to shift all those sites to Web hosting company in India. Will this affect my Search Engine Ranking in Google.co.uk. My sites are doing very good in Google.co.uk.

Is there anything like co.uk sites hosted UK server ranks well than those sites hosted on India Server.

Regards,
Vandana
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India-Kolkata

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google uses Geographic target based on domain names. They automatically switch the target if it is like .co.uk, .co.br or .in.

Now since you are not switching the domain, so technically the ranking shouldn't go down.

But if your users are from UK, then you should keep hosting server in UK itself such that your users will get more speed rather than keeping your server in India
  • Adrianous9898
  • Born
  • Born
  • Adrianous9898

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
You have asked a good question.
I think No .. there is no relation between hosting and ranking except the browsing speed.
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can have some effects but links are definitely more important. For example, having links from co.uk domains pointing at your website is more important than merely shifting your hosting account.
  • gozames
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really think that YES First of all speed of server Second IP :) But this is only what I think
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you move to an ip that has more domains on it then google will pick that up and it could lower rankings. for example, on a dedicated server your site would be the only domain linked to the server's ip. If you move to cramped shared hosting where there could perhaps be 20 or more domains on one ip then it's could do something. problem is there is no easy way to know how many sites are going to be hosted on the new server.
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Bozebo

are you sure with whatever you said?

You think Google generate ranks looking at the ips?

If that's so, then the current ip range is not enough to support all the sites.

and truly speaking Google checks the availability of the sites!
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

dark_lord wrote:
@Bozebo

are you sure with whatever you said?

You think Google generate ranks looking at the ips?

If that's so, then the current ip range is not enough to support all the sites.

and truly speaking Google checks the availability of the sites!

It's not based on the ips, that is just one of the small factors. Think about it, if a domain links to an ip and no other domain links to that ip then that ip is most likely one server dedicated to that one site. If there are many different domains linking to one ip then it appears to be lower quality, shared hosting - and that makes many believe that the site is not as valuable a resource for whatever it's main content might be because the owners are not committed to pay for high quality hosting.
I am not sure if it is anything more than a theory though, but I've heard it somewhere before.
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well yes maybe you are correct, theoretically it does make sense

but practically it doesn't make any (as far as I think)

because as i said the current ip-range is not enough for all the sites.

If Google is doing that, then i should say they are not considering it practically.

But think of this, you can buy ips for SSL. In that case, how will Google understand that if the site is in dedicated hosting or shared hosting?
  • twalters84
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • twalters84
  • Loc: Mount Savage, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

In my opinion, web hosting CAN affect rankings but not necessarily.

It depends how good the hosting is. What the uptime is like?

Google likes sites that are up 100 percent of the time.

Switching to a dedicated server should increase uptime. There are a lot less people on them to screw things up :)

Sincerely,
Travis walters
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a fact that google indexes IP address, but they normally only use them to determine backlink diversity, by comparing c class IPs and the links that come from them.

In other words if a site has 100s of links with the same anchor text all coming from the same C class IP those links aren't as much of an indicator as links that come from IPs that have more diverse links.
  • Hsekhar
  • Hsekhar

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your case, I think, the hosting change would affect your rankings. Then again I think Google is not that dumb so as to think in itself that a website only uses the hosting service of some company within country. Anybody can use any country's hosting service if they think the hosting service is better than any host in their country.

So, The hosting change may not affect your serps (Eek, I just contradicted myself)
  • nirajkumar123
  • Born
  • Born
  • nirajkumar123
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I dont think so. Only think we should keep in mind that site should not be down
  • TomofCols
  • Born
  • Born
  • TomofCols

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this discussion thread interesting. It did alter from a request for information about geographic location of the server to the number of IPs on the server. As in all cases for SEO and rankings one element remains true as we all try to jockey for the top spot: The most pure sites have a better shot at a higher ranking everything else being equal. So, with that said:

1. I would think an IP within the geographic location of your target audience is better than one outside that location.
2. That the number of URLs on one IP has an effect on your ranking.
3. If one URL on that IP is on the blacklist then it can also negatively affect your ranking (I have read this from reputable sources and seen it in action).
4. It is true that links from the same C class can have an effect on your rnaking. I thought it was links from 10 IPs but a colleague told me he read through a google.com guru that it was as low as six. If you plan on building your own link farm to boost rankings it could be counterproductive.

I do have a question that I would appreciate some comment. Does anyone have any evidence that a site hosted and registered on google.com have any bearing on the rankings?
Moderator Remark: manual signature removed.
  • webhostingpanda
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe a little affect, 1% or 5%, but small-beer.
  • seo_beginner
  • Born
  • Born
  • seo_beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is C class IP ? Does it mean that sites that have same C class IP are geographically close ?
  • seogenies123
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • seogenies123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ,you can easily shift it to India.it does not effect the ranking...there is no as such relation in hosting and ranking .
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

seo_beginner wrote:
What is C class IP ? Does it mean that sites that have same C class IP are geographically close ?

not necessarily.
  • carazoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe Google goes by Geographical location. So if you target users are in UK, then its better to have the server in UK. It will also reduce the hopping time.
  • Rodriguez
  • Rodriguez
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

VandanaSeo wrote:
Hi,

I have many .co.uk web sites hosted on UK server, now I am planning to shift all those sites to Web hosting company in India. Will this affect my Search Engine Ranking in Google.co.uk. My sites are doing very good in Google.co.uk.

Is there anything like co.uk sites hosted UK server ranks well than those sites hosted on India Server.

Regards,
Vandana

Hi,
I don't understand What are you really want to say.

So please clear with your thoughts.So, We understand you easily

And may provide some better help to you.

I will gonna happy to help you.
Thanks
Moderator Remark: manual sig removed
  • anu2015
  • Born
  • Born
  • anu2015

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you want to be a SEO King? What is it the "SEO"? Ok, it is time to describe it a little bit. SEO means, search engine optimization". Search engine optimization is a set of methods aimed at improving the ranking of //removed Website design services in search engine listings.

Ok, and what does it have common with money? It's very, very easy. The better SEO your website has, the more traffic you can have. Consider this: there are two sites. The first is SEO optimized, the second is not. Random internet user searches some words in Google search. And now the question is: which of the two pages is he going to visit. Clear answer - the one with better SEO, because it is listed at the first position so it seems that information on this page must be more relevant (but in real the situation is different). And now think about increased traffic to your site. Do you use Google adsense? I hope you do. And believe me, the more visitors, the more click, the more money for you. We can say the better SEO, the more money (direct proportion).

Now I'd like to talk about how to improve your SEO. There are some basic things you should follow: keyword within the title tag, keyword in domain name, URL directories and file names including your keywords, HTML tags: headings, bold and emphasized text including the same keywords, keyword density in your text - one keyword should appear in the firs paragraph, keyword proximity and alt attributes for images including your keywords.
Moderator Remark: Spam link removed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

anu2015, not a single word of that keyword spam hogwash answered the OP's question.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

seo_beginner wrote:

It really has nothing to do with geography. IP addresses are broken up into classes as follows:

Quote:
Class A Network -- binary address start with 0, therefore the decimal number can be anywhere from 1 to 126. The first 8 bits (the first octet) identify the network and the remaining 24 bits indicate the host within the network. An example of a Class A IP address is 102.168.212.226, where "102" identifies the network and "168.212.226" identifies the host on that network.

Class B Network -- binary addresses start with 10, therefore the decimal number can be anywhere from 128 to 191. (The number 127 is reserved for loopback and is used for internal testing
on the local machine.) The first 16 bits (the first two octets) identify the network and the remaining 16 bits indicate the host within the network. An example of a Class B IP address is 168.212.226.204 where "168.212" identifies the network and "226.204" identifies the host on that network.

Class C Network -- binary addresses start with 110, therefore the decimal number can be anywhere from 192 to 223. The first 24 bits (the first three octets) identify the network and the remaining 8 bits indicate the host within the network. An example of a Class C IP address is 200.168.212.226 where "200.168.212" identifies the network and "226" identifies the host on that network.

Class D Network -- binary addresses start with 1110, therefore the decimal number can be anywhere from 224 to 239. Class D networks are used to support multicasting.

Class E Network -- binary addresses start with 1111, therefore the decimal number can be anywhere from 240 to 255. Class E networks are used for experimentation. They have never been documented or utilized in a standard way.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Int ... essing.asp

The following chart shows how the numbers are assigned and when appropriate who administrates them.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-ad ... -space.xml

For example IP addresses that start with 017 are designated to Apple Computer, Inc. That is one of the Class A Networks.

Owning a Class A Network is huge because they are inherently huge and they were the first assigned and as you can tell from that list assigned to some very large companies.
  • Hafsoh
  • Student
  • Student
  • Hafsoh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moving from one host to another does not affect SEO. Downtime is commonly the major issue you may face when you change your host.
  • mickeyy
  • Born
  • Born
  • mickeyy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe it would affect the rankings in your case. In my opinion, it's better to register the same country TLD, host the site with a company whose servers are based in the same country and get some quality backlinks from the same TLD sites.

So, If you move them to a India based server, you might lose some rankings in Google UK

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts