Domain names, email, etc.

• techrolla
  • techrolla

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I just buy a domain name, no hosting or email packages, can I still setup email for my hosted users at whatever@mysite.com with sendmail or something similar? I am going to be hosting the site from my computer, and am going to get a domain name ONLY, so that I can do everything else myself, I don't need to pay for hosting. Any ideas, suggestions? And, if know of a place that has a yearly rate for domain name only that is less than 8.95/year, please share :) Thanks.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.godaddy.com has cheap domain names.

if your hosting it yourself then why cant you create your own email on your server...?
  • techrolla
  • techrolla

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion. And, about creating the email on my own server...I was just wondering if I could have blankblank@whatever.com if I bought whatever.com. Would mail be forwarded to such an address if I didn't have email forwarding or whatever from the registration servers? I know I can setup a mail server, I was just wondering if mail servers work in the same way that http servers do. Would the address resolve to my server if I set it up correctly, without 3rd party assistance(pay-for-hosting sites)?
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

some domain registrars give you email forwarding... basically if somebody sends an email to somebody@yourdomain.com ... this email will be pushed to youraccount@hotmail.com.

i dont know if this costs anything or who does it (namecheap probably do), becuase i dont use it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts