Domain Questions

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought a domain a while back (wedevoy.com), what I want to do is change it to something else because I don't feel that it's a good name anymore. Do I have to wait until the domain expires or can I change it right now on the following "domain session" without paying anything more?

I'm registered with namecheap.com and I can't find an option or anything like that. I will open a ticket there and ask about it, but I also wanted to ask here from experienced users... don't want them to trick me into anything :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might have to register another domain name and use a redirect.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't want to pay anything more than what I did, but if there is no choice I'll try that. I'm thinking of a domain name right now.

Thanks, any more ideas would be great.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generally when you register a domain name, you're pre-paying for a year long (or longer) registration. Though I suppose it's possible to register for a period shorter than 12 months, I've never seen it available.

Go through your control panel where you have the domain registered, make sure there's no auto-renewal setup. You might want to contact support about this, tell them something like you've used a prepaid credit card to register and you don't want it to auto-renew to an empty card and cause problems, they'll forget about trying to get you to stick around if they don't think you're leaving.

Other than that, you'll just register a new domain name and have the requests for the old domain redirect to the new domain untill the old domain expires.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Expiration date: 18 Jun 2009 21:05:32

That's your expiration date for wedevoy.com ^^^^.

You are going to have to pay anyway in less than a year.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you've got external links pointing to you now, you'll be doing youself a favor by registering the new domain long enough before the old one expires that you can setup the redirect and give everyone time to update their bookmarks/indexes.

If you wait until the last minute, you will no longer have control over the existing domain, meaning you can't tell people with old bookmarks where to go.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good idea joebert, although I'm sure that nobody has bookmarked my site since I neglected it for over 2+ months :lol:

I will do that sometimes this coming week, right now and tomorrow are not for it though.

Thanks for your help joebert.
  • anupam007guy
  • Born
  • Born
  • anupam007guy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i also had the same problem so i registered another domain name and redirected.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts