Domain Registration

• Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I want to register a Domain, but I was wondering, can I buy a Domain name without having a server for it yet.

I want to register a domain for my In-Laws but currently don't have a server for it.. Can I register the domain even though I don't have a place to server it yet? Thank you.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Yes, you can purchase a domain and simply park it with your registrar (usually the default setting with most registrars)
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hello,

Yes, you can purchase a domain and simply park it with your registrar (usually the default setting with most registrars)

Cool thank you.. any domain registering companies you recommend?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello - honestly - any of the major ones are good. We use eNom for all our domains as do our resellers. However, we only chose eNom because it integrates directly with our control panel. I would probably take a look at godaddy. They seem to be one of the cheapest and their service and control panel is strong.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hello - honestly - any of the major ones are good. We use eNom for all our domains as do our resellers. However, we only chose eNom because it integrates directly with our control panel. I would probably take a look at godaddy. They seem to be one of the cheapest and their service and control panel is strong.

Thank you..
  • Darkfoxx
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best registrar is my mind is tosdomains.net. I have registered two domains with them and they are absolutely wonderful. Great customer support! The one thing goDaddy lacks is customer support....it is all e-mailed automated responses...you never are written by a real person...very unprofessional!
  • Jaw
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I´d have to disagree... If the system is done right why should you ever have to have someone do something manually? There is nothing unprofessional about a system that works.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
it is all e-mailed automated responses...you never are written by a real person...very unprofessional!

I agree to a certain extent. My one HUGE pet peave with godaddy is that they dont offer very personal support and they dont offer a toll free number - in this business, this isnt really acceptable. Additionally, they actively solicit customers for their hosting, which, as a provider annoys me, as I used to refer many many people to godaddy.... Only to have them try to use my customer list to grow their hosting customer base...

However, as Jaw indicated - their system works, and for the most part, their automation is fully functional... This is the reason, that despite my statement above, I still recommend them in some instances....
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hellsbellboy wrote:
Cool thank you.. any domain registering companies you recommend?

Here is a list of accredited registars with ICANN

http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html

Regardless of whomever anyone recommends going forward, if they are not on that list, do not register with them
  • Darkfoxx
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My one HUGE pet peave with godaddy is that they dont offer very personal support

Yeh, that's what I meant.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally dont recommend you go down this route. I did this with my first ever domain name and to be honest i have regretted it. Maybe it was just the company i bought the domain name from that did this, but they charged me just short of £30 ($56.50) for use of the domain name for two years. This was without any host or anything else.

After paying for this i realised that i made a huge mistake as they ended up being really expensive. I have still got this domain name and no host for it and would like to get rid of it but nobody appears to be interested in it. So it was basically a waste of money.

I recommend getting the host as well as domain name, this way if you dont want to renew the domain name then your hosting should go around the time your domain name does. Much better, and much cheaper in the long run.

Thats my personal opinion though, from experience. Not everyone is as foolish as i am
  • GimmeMyDomains
  • Student
  • Student
  • GimmeMyDomains

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd recommend NOT to get hosting at the same time. Register the domain name from one of the inexpensive services (Don't pay more than $10/yr for a .com), and it should have a free "Parked" or "For Sale" page, then you pick up the hosting when you're ready.

And remember - you ALWAYS want the domain to be YOURS - not your hosting company's.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts