Dreamweaver qusestions

  • bayliner75
  • Student
  • Student
  • bayliner75
  • Posts: 78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys

Hope you can help.

I am about to try and build a website using Dreamweaver. i have three questions.

1 Is it possible to build my website from two different computers .I understand that i must have a root folder on my hard drive.Is there a way of transferring what i have created on one computer to another.

2 Also the website i am going to build is already on the web. I am not happy with it and the person who looks after it. Is it possible to put the existing Http address in the Site Defination dialog box or will this cause problems as it is already up and running (as the url is connected to a website )


3 On my present website i have been busy adding it to directories and doing exchange links. When i have finished building the newsite will it be a case of (website address will stay the same) adding the website adress to the new site , i take it i will not have to submitt my new site to the directories as it still has the old address just a new look.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Darc3st1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Darc3st1
  • Posts: 17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use filezilla and FTP to download the whole thing to your hard drive and then just take the most recent files on a thumb drive or just download them off the web once you upload them.

Sorry, I have never worked with dreamweaver.
  • HastyHost.com
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Yes you can move your files from one computer to the other. Dreamweaver does not pay any attention to that, just make sure you keep the same structure when your transferring them.

2) Not to sure what you mean.

3)Making a new look will not affect anything at all, as long as you have the same url, you will be fine.
  • bayliner75
  • Student
  • Student
  • bayliner75
  • Posts: 78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help,

Could i transfer the infomation using USB memory stick .

I read in a dreamweaver book before you start to build your website you go to a defination process were it asks you the name your website , were the local root folder will be ,image folder are and then the http address that your site will have when published on the server.

Would it be confusing if i put my exsisting http address the same http as my website i am going to revamp.

Regards
  • HastyHost.com
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you can transfer via USB memory stick.

This whole process is a lot simpler than you think. Just copy your files, keep the same structure and copy them to the other computer, and open them up in Dreamweaver and you will see nothing has changed. So don't worry yourself about all that, as it only creates confusion.

bayliner75 wrote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help,

Could i transfer the infomation using USB memory stick .

I read in a dreamweaver book before you start to build your website you go to a defination process were it asks you the name your website , were the local root folder will be ,image folder are and then the http address that your site will have when published on the server.

Would it be confusing if i put my exsisting http address the same http as my website i am going to revamp.

Regards
  • web24pty
  • Born
  • Born
  • web24pty
  • Posts: 4

Post 3+ Months Ago

bayliner75 wrote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help,

Could i transfer the infomation using USB memory stick .

I read in a dreamweaver book before you start to build your website you go to a defination process were it asks you the name your website , were the local root folder will be ,image folder are and then the http address that your site will have when published on the server.

Would it be confusing if i put my exsisting http address the same http as my website i am going to revamp.

Regards


Hi,

Yep easy to transfer the root folder from one pc to another pc. Dreamweaver have inbuilt FTP, so dreamweaver asked all the details so that as soon as your made any changes in your site design or coding, you are able to upload it to the live website.

just follow this link and it is easy for your to maintian everything easily.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=1


Katopina
  • webhostingfast
  • Born
  • Born
  • webhostingfast
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm too in the process of building my website in dreamweaver , Can anyone help me where I can get advanced tutorial of dreamweaver for free?
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

bayliner75 wrote:
Hi Guys

Hope you can help.

I am about to try and build a website using Dreamweaver. i have three questions.

1 Is it possible to build my website from two different computers .I understand that i must have a root folder on my hard drive.Is there a way of transferring what i have created on one computer to another.

2 Also the website i am going to build is already on the web. I am not happy with it and the person who looks after it. Is it possible to put the existing Http address in the Site Defination dialog box or will this cause problems as it is already up and running (as the url is connected to a website )


3 On my present website i have been busy adding it to directories and doing exchange links. When i have finished building the newsite will it be a case of (website address will stay the same) adding the website adress to the new site , i take it i will not have to submitt my new site to the directories as it still has the old address just a new look.


1. yes you can easily transfer them just make sure you transfer the whole folder and tranfer all components and not just the html document.

2. dont quite understand what you meen, but if you meen can you edit the page whilst leaving the current site online, yes you can just conect to the server via FTP then you can open the html file off the server and edit to your hearts content and it wont change the look of your website until you upload the new page onto the website replacing the old version.

3. you just simply upload the new site onto the server making sure your homepage is called index.html and it shoudl work just fine with your old url.


hope this has helped!
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 322
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

webhostingfast wrote:
I'm too in the process of building my website in dreamweaver , Can anyone help me where I can get advanced tutorial of dreamweaver for free?


http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweave ... index.html there are some tutorials made by adobe themselves. i hope you fine them useful. however i would recomend making sure you no css and html before using dreamweaver as it meens you can edit the basecode yourself instead of always relying on dreamweaver to do it for you.

mods: sorry for the double post. it was to answer two different questions.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.