dumb dns? question

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been asked to do the following:

Host a site for a charity event on my company's server. I need to place the charity files all in one sub-directory, and then have a different url pointing to this subdirectory. I have seen this done but don't know anything about this. Do I need to contact my company's host, or do I need to contact the people who registered the charity's url?

Thanks people.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
I have been asked to do the following:

Host a site for a charity event on my company's server. I need to place the charity files all in one sub-directory, and then have a different url pointing to this subdirectory. I have seen this done but don't know anything about this. Do I need to contact my company's host, or do I need to contact the people who registered the charity's url?

Thanks people.

I am going to presume someone already owns the domain, and has DNS resolver -- or can transfer to you (provided you do your own DNS resolution) the authority for that zone.

Same IP you now use to host a www site:
<VirtualHost *> directive. Then add the servername and server aliases.

If you intend to use a different IP, then you can simply create a new httpd proc. on the same box -- just be careful to set maxclients carefully -- with two instances running, ensure you have each set to half what the box can handle. (i.e. if the box can handle 30k concurrent clients, seat each max to just under half that, or about 12k per httpd.conf.

If you virtual host, then the one proc will regulate that for you.

Either way, if they own the authority for the DNS resolution, you have them point that at your IP -- once you get it set up and functional of course.

If they are willing to transfer DNS authority to you, then it's even easier. You leave it pointing to where it is, until you box is ready, then switch it.

Always keep in mind ttl limits though -- we set ours at about 10min for an event, and browsers like IE will retain DNS information even longer -- like 1/2 hour or so.

Then there's the dopey providers who refuse to acknowledge ttls -- like a few in Europe -- mostly France. They can retain DNS cache for hours, or so I noticed on my last trip to Paris.

Hope that helps. Which charity you doing? We did the e-commerce solution for the 9/11 tragedy... United Way. It felt good to help them like that. I am sure you'll enjoy the experience. If I can be of any other assistance, ping me.

Cheers.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks daemonguy! I will have to wait till monday to sort it out, if get any problems i'll post back here
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i understand you correctly; you want to see an url under another domain right?
Ask your web hosting company for CNAME records for the domain that you want to point it !
Thats all

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts