ev1servers

• Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience with ev1servers load balanced cluster solution? Or ev1servers in general?

I'm presently on Serverbeach but I need to consider the possibility of a private net load balanced solution (possibly with a third machine for database) so I'm looking at ev1servers

Failing that, and without wanting a thread of spam, does anyone use such a host that they'd recommend?
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

ev1servers is an enermous company and reliable.
But the truth your servers wont be managed, they will setup you the server and leave you alone with your server like every server farm company do..

If you really want managed rock solid server then go to http://www.rackspace.com if you are ready pay 3-5x of same ev1 servers.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry dolay, you might like rackspace, but that live salesperson popup that completely ignores popup blockers is annoying as heck. Not to mention I already remember doing a bit of checking on that service when it was spammed here before. I'm a bit disappointed you posted that link. They might have the best service in the world, but their homepage alone turns me off. Besides...I highly suspect jerrek is capable of managing his own server.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh i really never thinked live sales person popup may annoy the visitors .
Thanks for your tip, i will take care of that live sales person matter.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jerek,

If you're really looking for a clustered solution - take a look at the h-sphere control panel. It allows for instantaneous clustering capabilities of your resources as well as creating load balancing situations amongst your resources...

You can host these servers anywhere you like and no additional hardware is needed...

Hope this helps...
  • Jerrek
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Melbourne, AUS

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Besides...I highly suspect jerrek is capable of managing his own server.

Sometimes ;-)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I looked at the H-Sphere solution but it's more about having multiple servers doing seperate things (ie a seperate mail server from your web server etc) which is a very good idea but more than I need right now.

I think it will probably end up being an ev1 server :) The only thing I'm not keen on is that everyone seems to produce loadbalancers these days that don't understand basic TCP concepts... Reading through their forums it looks like the loadbalancers poll the web port every minute. Which means you get potentially a minute of people getting crapped out connections. Whatever happened to the good old Cisco days of the loadbalancer seeing a Connection Refused on a port as soon as the first traffic went to a downed port?? Baaaa

Ah well, its a bit in the future yet, just exploring ideas. I shan't be going to Rackspace though ;)

J.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jerrek wrote:

I think it will probably end up being an ev1 server :) The only thing I'm not keen on is that everyone seems to produce loadbalancers these days that don't understand basic TCP concepts... Reading through their forums it looks like the loadbalancers poll the web port every minute. Which means you get potentially a minute of people getting crapped out connections. Whatever happened to the good old Cisco days of the loadbalancer seeing a Connection Refused on a port as soon as the first traffic went to a downed port?? Baaaa

Ah well, its a bit in the future yet, just exploring ideas. I shan't be going to Rackspace though ;)

J.

IMHO, it's more of a ROI issue, than technical. It's downright expensive to architect a design that is both loadbalanced properly as well as redundant. It is a shame; one minute is outrageous.
Our solution uses 27 different metrics gathered across every layer between 4 and 7. It does this at specified health check intervals, as well as verification on a per packet transfer.
Redundancy is extreme, for why bother to build a solution that load balances properly if the entire solution is a single point of failure? :)
Of course, we're very expensive. ;) We do guarantee 100% uptime though.
I don't know much about ev1 or rackspace for that matter -- wish I could offer more than sympathy.
Best of luck to you. Let us know if you discover anything or anyone viable for your solution. Might be something we can record in a matrix, should anyone else ever find themselves in a similar dilemma.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts