fastezhosting is a goner

• bjhess
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Owatonna, Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well,

I went to Chicago for the weekend and now my web sites are all gone. FastEZHosting, where I was hosting everything I run, is down and out.

Their communication e-mail gave us a minimum of 48 hours to recover everything. However, they sent it at 10PM Saturday and as of 3 today nothing was available. I have no backups of my calendar or mySQL databases. And just when I was finally getting things done on my web development projects... :(

Additionally, I probably had about 60-80 e-mails sitting out on their servers that have now been lost.

I'm glad I didn't prepay for anything since they are claiming not to be refunding any prepaid plans.

*end vent*

This whole thing makes me want to just set up my own web server - at least then any problems will be my fault. Assuming I won't be doing this, I'll take web host recommendations now. :) As a point of reference I was using a reseller account with 2GB space to share (not sure about bandwidth) and cpanel.

I'm somewhat kidding about the above...but I will listen to any ideas.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since I didn't feel like stewing over this decision, I went with sonataweb.net and got the ball rolling. Hopefully it was a decent choice...
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry to hear about your loss - something extremely similar happened to me a while back when I had a reseller account - After moving to dedicated I no longer have to worry about such things.

if you are interested in a dedicated server I can get you some burst.net servers at discounted prices. PM me if you are interested ;)
  • 123-host-me.com
  • 123-host-me.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to here about this Good luck with youe new host :)
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had te same probelem with you, I had my site hosted on some sketchy host and after like 8 months they packed up and ran but they gave me no warning. The only thing I can tell ya for when buying future hosting plans is to make sure they are legit and have been around or will be around for a while. My host now is LunarPages and they are very well known for being reliable...you may wanna check out http://www.webhostingratings.com/ they tell you some good info on hosts :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

The sad thing is anyone can run a hosting company these days and its best to stick to reputable hosting companies you get by recommendation.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing the sonataweb.net choice wasn't the most well-advised. However, I need a budget host and I will have to deal with some of the risk involved. I read a couple reviews at webhostingtalk based on about 8 months of service, and they were glowing. We'll see what happens.

I still think I'll end up with my own server at some point - which will be a hassle. :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you go for your own server, try serverbeach.com - no complaints here with them. other cheap hosting for a good deal powweb.com - good luck with everything and make sure you back up regularly
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
if you go for your own server, try serverbeach.com - no complaints here with them. other cheap hosting for a good deal powweb.com - good luck with everything and make sure you back up regularly

Oh, I can't afford a dedicated server plan. However, I have a machine here at home that I could turn into a server. That's why it'd be a pain in the you know what.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh yeah i see :)
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

bjhess
I can imagine what you are going through. no *plum*.
hope you didnt lose data.
I would have exploded into pieces if my web host runs on me but no, my host pple communicate with me everyday.

better not to start your own server.

you just need to find server pple who are reliable and affordable. There are many around to begin with. so better to stick with a highly recommended web host. and forget the extremely good deals that other companies are offering. heh.
  • inogenius
  • Born
  • Born
  • inogenius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bjhess wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm guessing the sonataweb.net choice wasn't the most well-advised. However, I need a budget host and I will have to deal with some of the risk involved. I read a couple reviews at webhostingtalk based on about 8 months of service, and they were glowing. We'll see what happens.

I still think I'll end up with my own server at some point - which will be a hassle. :)

BJ, if you're still weary of using us as your service provider, feel free to contact me at terry@sonataweb.net and we can talk about your concerns, and I'll try to ease them. Hopefully by now (I know you've been with us for about a week now) you feel better about your choice, but if you're not, as I said feel free to email me.

Thank you,

Terry Myers
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

inogenius wrote:
bjhess wrote:

BJ, if you're still weary of using us as your service provider, feel free to contact me at terry@sonataweb.net and we can talk about your concerns, and I'll try to ease them. Hopefully by now (I know you've been with us for about a week now) you feel better about your choice, but if you're not, as I said feel free to email me.

Thank you,

Terry Myers

Terry, thanks for the feedback, though it is a bit out of context since I wrote this a week ago. I've been very happy with Sonata so far. Support has been much better than FastEZHosting. FastEZ seemed to have a chip on their shoulder.

I think my "bad decision" comment is more in reference to my lack of research and going with a host that is under 1 year old. I don't know that anyone, even you, could consider that a good decision making process. :)

Here's hoping in a year I can still say I'm happy to be a SontaWeb client!
  • inogenius
  • Born
  • Born
  • inogenius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand completely. You can never do enough research. You can bet that we're going to try out best to provide you with quality hosting. Just wait till you see what I have planned next for all the SonataWeb customers. You can bet it'll bring some smiles.
  • bjhess
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

inogenius wrote:
I understand completely. You can never do enough research. You can bet that we're going to try out best to provide you with quality hosting. Just wait till you see what I have planned next for all the SonataWeb customers. You can bet it'll bring some smiles.

Let me know when it sees the light of day. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This thread has reached the end of it's useful life. Any other responses should be made to the appropriate parties in private.

//topic locked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts