find out where a website is located

• h4nne5
  • Born
  • Born
  • h4nne5

Post 3+ Months Ago

does anybody know how you can lookup the server/place where a website is hosted at for real. i try to make myself clear: i have website that is registered through godaddy.com, but i use domain forwarding and effectively the site is hosted/stored at some free webserver in italy. so when i do ip lookups or traceroutes i always get tracked to the godaddy servers in arizona. but that is not where the site is stored for real. is there a way to trace back a website right to the point where it is stored?
thanks
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the website? I can try a few things and see if I can get to the server. I am not familiar with how their forwarding service works...
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, we'll need the host.domain information.

Even then, as I mentioned to you before, it may not be viable. Depends how(if) they do global load balancing.

Still, we'll need the information to proceed.

Cheers.
  • h4nne5
  • Born
  • Born
  • h4nne5

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the site is http://www.residencebaumgartner.com i know it's beeing hosted at freeweb.dnet.it/rbaumgartner (italy). the IP is part of godaddy.com, so when i do traceroutes they allways end at the godaddy servers (usa). i was just interested if you could track back websites right to their actual physical goegraphical location.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what I know.

http://www.residencebaumgartner.com, as a domain, is being hosted out of Scottsdale, Arizona by GoDaddy.

http://freeweb.dnet.it/rbaumgartner/ is being hosted out of Italy, in an alpine town called Trento -- which is actually a lovely place which borders the northern mountains and Germany -- hence why the freeweb section is in German and the site is hosted by an Italian company. (I bet it's beautiful there in the fall, I know Pordenone is, at the foothills of the Dolemites. ) On the borders, languages tend to blur.
Also it should be noted that the backbone host is Tiscali International Networks, located in Dreieich, Germany (on Robert Bosch Str. 32, to be more precise).

The reason you get the second site from the first is simple; they have a forced rewrite in place pointing at the second from the first. The reason may be plainly seen if you telnet to port 80 of the GoDaddy host;
Code: [ Select ]
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:46:14 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_pointer/0.8 PHP/4.3.2
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.2
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

THIS PAGE HAS BEEN RE-DIRECTED FOR ABUSE / SPAM VIOLATIONSConnection closed by foreign host.
  1. HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  2. Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:46:14 GMT
  3. Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_pointer/0.8 PHP/4.3.2
  4. X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.2
  5. Connection: close
  6. Content-Type: text/html
  7. THIS PAGE HAS BEEN RE-DIRECTED FOR ABUSE / SPAM VIOLATIONSConnection closed by foreign host.

Nice. So basically, someone from this domain spammed the living heck out of people and godaddy's answer was to forward them off to some other site.
  • h4nne5
  • Born
  • Born
  • h4nne5

Post 3+ Months Ago

sure is a nice place. i live another 60km more north, very close to austria, and as for the languages, they do blur. thats why i am a native german speaking italian citizen :-)

but about the site-thing:
if i didnt tell you the site was hosted at dnet.it, would you have been able to find out by just looking at http://www.residencebaumgartner.com?
just knowing the website-url is there a way to find the place, where it is being hosted?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I figured you did; the explanation was for the other folks who might be following along.

There are any number of ways to determine that the site is moved.
The pause in resolution might stir someone to manually get the site from the CLI -- like I did.
In which case you would see the message and the 301 code -- Moved permanently.

Someone could download a nifty IBM product -- that is free I might add -- called Page Detailer;
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/pagedetailer

Which shows all the steps and when you double-click on the overall bar graph, you get the plain text version.

Or a service like Keynote, which shows the 301, and the rewrite.

Or... the list goes on and on and on. Not all of which are perfectly legal, either. :)

In any case, there you have it.

Cheers.

Oh, and don't spam. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummm....now that the cool high tech aproach is out of the way (which I always find facsinating how much daemonguy knows).

Open your site in Firefox, click Tools | Page Info and the Links tab. A quick review of the "linked" pages demonstrates how easy it is to see exactly where the site is hosted.

all your linked pages link back to your home page on the dnet site.

So yeah -- anybody can find out if they want to.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that too. :)

I tend to make things too difficult, don't I? I am just old-fashioned I guess. :) We didn't use to have all these nifty "built-in" features back in my day. :) Heh.
  • h4nne5
  • Born
  • Born
  • h4nne5

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, first of all, thank you very much. thank you ATNO, cause it was because of you i even bothered to check out firefox. and i like it and i'm gonna stick to it. (it's not that i didnt know or heard about it over and over again, but after i spent so much time trying opera, netscape, phoenix ... over the last years just to find myself back with ie at the end. this time i just decided to ignore the hype. what a mistake.) but the link thing isnt the true deal. i was just to lazy to properly set the links (src instead of http://www.blabla.com/hshs.htm)
thanks daemonguy. pagedetailer is very interesting and gave me the info i wanted!!
sorry but i have some more questions (i'm leeching for knowledge) :-)
-how could you find out who the backbone for dnet is?
-what do you mean by: "manually get the site from the CLI" how do you do that? cli-> command line interface?
-i dindnt really get the spam thing. and i couldnt connect to godaddy host with telnet, to check it. but anyways, it wasnt me :wink:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Ummm....now that the cool high tech aproach is out of the way (which I always find facsinating how much daemonguy knows).

Open your site in Firefox, click Tools | Page Info and the Links tab. A quick review of the "linked" pages demonstrates how easy it is to see exactly where the site is hosted.

all your linked pages link back to your home page on the dnet site.

So yeah -- anybody can find out if they want to.

:thumbsup: nice tip atno :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

h4nne5 wrote:
thanks daemonguy. pagedetailer is very interesting and gave me the info i wanted!!

No problem.

h4nne5 wrote:
sorry but i have some more questions (i'm leeching for knowledge) :-)
-how could you find out who the backbone for dnet is?

Traceroute or visualroute, (http://www.visualroute.com) are just two ways.
h4nne5 wrote:
-what do you mean by: "manually get the site from the CLI" how do you do that? cli-> command line interface?

Yep.

telnet <url> 80, then do a get. As an example;

Code: [ Select ]
$ telnet www.residencebaumgartner.com 80
Trying 64.202.167.129...
Connected to residencebaumgartner.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:53:28 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_pointer/0.8 PHP/4.3.2
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.2
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

THIS PAGE HAS BEEN RE-DIRECTED FOR ABUSE / SPAM VIOLATIONSConnection closed by foreign host.
  1. $ telnet www.residencebaumgartner.com 80
  2. Trying 64.202.167.129...
  3. Connected to residencebaumgartner.com.
  4. Escape character is '^]'.
  5. GET / HTTP/1.0
  6. HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  7. Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:53:28 GMT
  8. Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_pointer/0.8 PHP/4.3.2
  9. X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.2
  10. Connection: close
  11. Content-Type: text/html
  12. THIS PAGE HAS BEEN RE-DIRECTED FOR ABUSE / SPAM VIOLATIONSConnection closed by foreign host.

Two things to note. The redirect in the notice AND the 'why' it was redirected.
h4nne5 wrote:
-i dindnt really get the spam thing. and i couldnt connect to godaddy host with telnet, to check it. but anyways, it wasnt me :wink:

The spam thing was in reference to the second point made above.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts