my first dedicated.

• GeTSm0keD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

and I'm kinda in the woods on what to do here.

I'm on a windows server 2003, using plesk control panel. I can RDP into the box.

but I'm just confused on what to do to get rolling.

how do I set my domain names to point at my dedicated server? how do I find out my DNS?

how do I set up a directory, that each domain can point to? and then create FTP accounts for each person?

any little help you could pass along would be helpful :D
I've found a few random flash video tutorials about. but they don't quite cover much..
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

May I ask the obvious question? Why did you buy a dedicated server if you did not know what to do with it? Wouldn't it have been more useful to get managed hosting until such a time as you were in a position to handle dedicated hardware? I don't mean to sound harsh, just confused. Normally, one would go dedicated if they A) had a partner who was familiar with <insert random requirement here> or B) had just hired or was in the process of hiring an employee who could do that task -- even if said employee was a contract position.
  • GeTSm0keD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

cause I'm a designer for 5 years, a web developer for 3 years, and I wanted to progress my knowledge in my trade.

I use coldfusion, and I wanted CF admin access.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree, And iff you have that many years experiance, You should Know how to do those things.
  • GeTSm0keD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I'm self taught, and I've used shared hosting all this time, I'm sorry, but I have never had my own server.

3 years ain't really anything to brag about. I just know the basics on languages, xhtml/css/CF8/AS2-3/mxml/ajax/JS/sql - NOT server networking/administration. I can build it on my local host, I just don't know how to deploy it all from a bare bones empty box from scratch. The server company always did that for me :-\ and I want to learn more control, ok?

Why do I have to be a fraud just cause I've never owned a server. Obviously none of you guys can answer the questions, or you would have. Ontop of that, the magarity of the question on this forum are below having a dedicated server, I mean really.

I've been on godaddy shared hosting since 2005, and I have the order history to prove it. I have over 30 domains and mange 10 different websites that I built from scratch no thanks to any of you guys, some of which are down because I'm sitting here tryin to prove my worth to you? can you answer the questions or not, cause I'm wasting time here.

My reasons for wanting a dedicated server should not be a concern to you, I pretty much know how to wield every program in adobe's collection, do I need to provide ACE papers to? gawd you forum people are incredible.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Relax hero, it wasn't an attack. It's not common for people to actually attempt to run a server having absolutely no knowledge on how to accomplish that task ... so excuse us if we seem a bit flabergasted.

The majority of the people here that do run their own dedicated servers tend towards the technical and not aesthetic of the bunch.

You see, most people who want to learn more, buy a home pc, install some flavor of *nix or windows (shudder) on it, and then go to town -- and if they screw the pooch they don't take their business down in flames. They simply, reinstall and start again. What you seem to be desirous to do is dump your pretty pictures on a dedicated box that you have absolutely no idea how to effectively manage, but somehow seem to think that a couple of questions to a technical forum will help you do.

Let me ask you this; in your vast experience in development do you think that someone who has never done such things and have no concept of web technologies could ask you a couple of seemingly simple questions and run out to be a skilled professional? How about semi-skilled? How about garner any customers at all? Of course not. Much like anything else it takes time to learn one's craft to the point of considering yourself capable of doing it in a professional operations environment.

You want to learn, great! I applaud your effort. Don't do it in the hopes of migrating your 10 websites (which I guess provides you with some measure of income) in the short term.

You want to know what I hate? I hate forum people who instantly think that because they can use programs they have enough intimate knowledge of all things computer related to set up a shingle and pin the hopes of their families on 'How do I run DNS?'. Believe it or not sparky, we WERE trying to help you; from making poor decisions based upon little or no knowledge ... but NOOOOO, you had to go and spout credentials and puff up your chest.

This forum is more than just a technical resource, it's a business resource as well. A bridge to sanity if you will. it exists not just to answer questions regarding 'how' to set up a server, but 'why' as well. I think if you actually did a search through the different forums you will find an equivalent number of posts wherein folks are turned away from the concept of self-hosting at least for the short term.

Until now, most have understood and heeded that good-natured warning.

Do I know about the things you asked? Is this where I bow up and talk about my credentials? Yes... and No.

Since it's obvious you have a massive shard upon on your shoulder, I am disinclined to respond to your original query.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would Also Like to add, My comment was not an insult or there to make you feel as though you are not capable. I am sure you are, But like the Above post said it takes time.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
I have to agree, And iff you have that many years experiance, You should Know how to do those things.

Just because some one has temperance in the field of web design/programming does not mean they know how to manage a dedicated server. Professional designers do not know everything about running a dedicated server. Most of them, for the most part, probably have never layed there hands on the control panel, let alone explored one.

This is the best I could find, scroll down to the windows section.
http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk/docs/
http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk ... /index.htm
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats True, I Should have worded that much better than I did, I remember going to my first dedicated, It took me like 3 month to learn everything I need to know. And still I am still learning new things.
  • GeTSm0keD
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
The majority of the people here that do run their own dedicated servers tend towards the technical and not aesthetic of the bunch.

Sorry, I don't fall into the category of "the Majority" I'm a designer AND a developer, gasp! a half breed?!?! I get that alot ;) you should see my video production skillz too :D err wait, maybe my bookkeeping skillz? I don't know. I do both ;)

Daemonguy wrote:
You see, most people who want to learn more, buy a home pc, install some flavor of *nix or windows (shudder) on it, and then go to town -- and if they screw the pooch they don't take their business down in flames. They simply, reinstall and start again. What you seem to be desirous to do is dump your pretty pictures on a dedicated box that you have absolutely no idea how to effectively manage, but somehow seem to think that a couple of questions to a technical forum will help you do.

It's not like I don't have other servers, I just wanted to do it quickly.... I got better things to do. :D

and "oooo" windows. Again, I use coldfusion exclusively, they have third party tags, written in either JAVA or C++. if I Used a linux server (shudders) I couldn't use the C++ tags now could I? hmm seems like a technically sound & sane choice to use windows in that senario, don't it?

Daemonguy wrote:
Let me ask you this; in your vast experience in development do you think that someone who has never done such things and have no concept of web technologies could ask you a couple of seemingly simple questions and run out to be a skilled professional? How about semi-skilled? How about garner any customers at all? Of course not. Much like anything else it takes time to learn one's craft to the point of considering yourself capable of doing it in a professional operations environment.

It's not like I didn't circle around the subject of goin dedicated for months before I actually jumped in, I just wanted some pointers, maybe some that weren't the same as a google search :roll: insider tips maybe.

Daemonguy wrote:
You want to learn, great! I applaud your effort. Don't do it in the hopes of migrating your 10 websites (which I guess provides you with some measure of income) in the short term.

change the domain's DNS, make a new directory for the domains to point at, upload the content, and wham-o we good to go :)

Daemonguy wrote:
You want to know what I hate? I hate forum people who instantly think that because they can use programs they have enough intimate knowledge of all things computer related to set up a shingle and pin the hopes of their families on 'How do I run DNS?'. Believe it or not sparky, we WERE trying to help you; from making poor decisions based upon little or no knowledge ... but NOOOOO, you had to go and spout credentials and puff up your chest.

excuse me good sir. but it seemed as tho you were not goin to ANSWER my question, UNTIL I proved my credentials to you. what was I spoused to do? what I was tryin to avoid was, you TELLING me all the bad things about goin dedicated. like, YES I AM at your level of experience, and YES you can speak to me as a peep developer. not like I'm a newbie sayin how do I make a pretty picute in the browser. your OPION of WHY I SHOULD want to have a dedicated server was WAY different then MY reasons, so should I sit and type FOREVER my "WHYS" for wanting the server, or just say cause I want to, and wait for a responce, (which can take days here, ok.)

Daemonguy wrote:
This forum is more than just a technical resource, it's a business resource as well. A bridge to sanity if you will. it exists not just to answer questions regarding 'how' to set up a server, but 'why' as well. I think if you actually did a search through the different forums you will find an equivalent number of posts wherein folks are turned away from the concept of self-hosting at least for the short term.

well I knew the 'why' cause I wanted my own box lol. and instead of throwin 5 to 10 grand at my own server, I'd just rent one in the mean time. (omg please don't talk to my about server costs) ontop of that the cost for running life-cycle or flash media server is HUGE if you go thro some one else. when I can just install the copies I have and run for free. (omg please don't tell me server hosting prices)

Daemonguy wrote:
Until now, most have understood and heeded that good-natured warning.

Do I know about the things you asked? Is this where I bow up and talk about my credentials? Yes... and No.

Since it's obvious you have a massive shard upon on your shoulder, I am disinclined to respond to your original query.

My angry reply wasn't even to you, I really shoulda quoted penguin, whoops :) and I don't hate you guy's, I'm just bored and enjoy posting back :) need a break from all this ADVANCED plesk dedicated server mess ;)

SpooF wrote:
penguin wrote:

Just because some one has temperance in the field of web design/programming does not mean they know how to manage a dedicated server. Professional designers do not know everything about running a dedicated server. Most of them, for the most part, probably have never layed there hands on the control panel, let alone explored one.

This is the best I could find, scroll down to the windows section.
http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk/docs/
http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk ... /index.htm

Thanks, SpooF. That's really the only quick answer I was lookin for at a "technical/ business resource" such as this ;)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

GeTSm0keD wrote:
Sorry, I don't fall into the category of "the Majority" I'm a designer AND a developer, gasp! a half breed?!?! I get that alot ;) you should see my video production skillz too :D err wait, maybe my bookkeeping skillz? I don't know. I do both ;)

I clearly stated 'technical', such as system engineering, infrastructure planning, etc., et al.

GeTSm0keD wrote:
It's not like I don't have other servers, I just wanted to do it quickly.... I got better things to do. :D

Of course you do, and that is endemic of the problem. Not enough people give consideration to all of the other components which make up content distribution in Internet space. It's a disservice to your (managed) hosting customers.

GeTSm0keD wrote:
and "oooo" windows. Again, I use coldfusion exclusively, they have third party tags, written in either JAVA or C++. if I Used a linux server (shudders) I couldn't use the C++ tags now could I? hmm seems like a technically sound & sane choice to use windows in that senario, don't it?

What? If you are using Java, then you are using a version of CF developed later than version 5.0 released circa 2001 (I would certainly hope so if you have paying customers), all functionality has been ported; CF runs on nearly any operating system. More specifically, Windows Vista, 2003, and XP, Macintosh OS X Leopard, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, Suse Linux 10, Solaris 9 or 10. BTW, I <shudder> at Windows because of my security background, not out of some OS zealotry.

GeTSm0keD wrote:
It's not like I didn't circle around the subject of goin dedicated for months before I actually jumped in, I just wanted some pointers, maybe some that weren't the same as a google search :roll: insider tips maybe.

So what you are saying is, you looked at the idea (and by "look" we mean accomplished due diligence in researching the complexities of what it takes not just to get a node up and running but manage it effectively and securely) and yet, were unable to adequately establish DNS services? That was my point; these are the things you need to know BEFORE you put up a shingle.
Let's also be honest here ... you were not looking for 'insider tips'. Your question was and I quote, "how do I set my domain names to point at my dedicated server? how do I find out my DNS? "; that is not looking for tips, that is looking for someone to spoon feed you server setup. "How do I find out my DNS?"? Come on. Here's a tip, buy a book.

GeTSm0keD wrote:
change the domain's DNS, make a new directory for the domains to point at, upload the content, and wham-o we good to go :)

Thank you for summing up exactly what I was talking about.

GeTSm0keD wrote:
excuse me good sir. but it seemed as tho you were not goin to ANSWER my question, UNTIL I proved my credentials to you. what was I spoused to do? what I was tryin to avoid was, you TELLING me all the bad things about goin dedicated. like, YES I AM at your level of experience, and YES you can speak to me as a peep developer. not like I'm a newbie sayin how do I make a pretty picute in the browser. your OPION of WHY I SHOULD want to have a dedicated server was WAY different then MY reasons, so should I sit and type FOREVER my "WHYS" for wanting the server, or just say cause I want to, and wait for a responce, (which can take days here, ok.)

In response to your first statement, I have re-read my previous missives in an effort to discern whether or not my replies intended you to report on your "credentials" ... I can find no such request, nor any such implied.
The rest of your paragraph I cannot comment on, as I simply do not understand what it is you are attempting to impart.

GeTSm0keD wrote:
well I knew the 'why' cause I wanted my own box lol. and instead of throwin 5 to 10 grand at my own server, I'd just rent one in the mean time. (omg please don't talk to my about server costs) ontop of that the cost for running life-cycle or flash media server is HUGE if you go thro some one else. when I can just install the copies I have and run for free. (omg please don't tell me server hosting prices)

I beg your pardon?

GeTSm0keD wrote:
My angry reply wasn't even to you, I really shoulda quoted penguin, whoops :) and I don't hate you guy's, I'm just bored and enjoy posting back :) need a break from all this ADVANCED plesk dedicated server mess ;)

Whether it was or not is irrelevant. In his own way, penguin did try to say the same thing. Perhaps with some the response appears more brash, however the essential nature was the same. If I were to reiterate his directives in a more civil tone;
penguin wrote:

translated_Penguin wrote:
I concur. If you have truly approached this project with all due diligence, these are the elementary steps one would have encountered early on in one's journey. These steps would have been trod upon and the road well known to a seasoned traveler. I for one, fear for the customer base you now enjoy as well as for your own prosperous future should you engage in this current activity without possessing the proper skill-set requisite of such an arduous task.

That about sum it up Penguin?

SpooF wrote:

Precisely.
My concern is providing snippets will do little to improve the overall success of a project or a business in the long term.

As an aside, repeated capitalization and utterance of words and or phrases which you imagine will add credence to your position -- do not. In fact, the effects are detrimental.

I know, you don't care ... you have far too much ADVANCED plesk work to accomplish.

Good luck, to you and your customers.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes regarding My posts, I should have Been more specific with what I was trying to say, In the future I will explain more In what I am trying to say.
  • DanKo
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good explanation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts