my first domain name registration

• manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all,

i'm quite new to this domain name thing
just about to get a domain name, i'm thinking of just getting a domain (without hosting or anyother)

any great domain registrars? i'm in new zealand and registrars here are quite expensive compared to buying from overseas. I heard go daddy is pretty good...

after i register, do i have to get it hosted immediately? would i lost it if i won't put my domain name with some web-firm to hold ot for me? is there extra costs for this?

any recommendations? thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once you buy a domain name it's yours for the time span you purchase it for 1 yr, 2 yr, etc... What you do with it is up to you. You can let the name set idle for as long as you want, but what's the point? If you own it, find a way to use it. I think most here will confirm that godaddy is a reasonable place to purchase a name.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks ATNO/TW

so when idle i don't have to worry about it? whats with the domain parking? came across it when searching on domains
  • etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Domain parking is a process where you can register a domain and need not to enter the domain name servers of your hosting company.
The domain registrar will park your domain by default on their server, this means that if you type your domain name into a web browser you will arrive at a default page provided by the registrar.
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would agree GoDaddy is a good domain registrar. Another one that I've always used and have always been pleased with is namecheap: http://www.namecheap.com
  • etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another one is eNom, which is also considered reputed and reliable too.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys! i'm in New Zealand and the cheapest local registrar i came across has NZD $25+GST/year and after that a $34+GST renewal/year

a bit expensive huh :(
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't have to register it in your own country.. Go for those in other country. You can get better deals.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks EngLee...

i'm kinda looking at these two

http://www.godaddy.com OR http://www.namecheap.com
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know about NameCheap, but I know that GoDaddy has gained quite a good reputation in domain names.
  • honkis
  • Born
  • Born
  • honkis

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've have been searching for a place that sells cheap domain names. I found these guys at, http://www.1million.com

I am guessing they are a reseller. The site says $3.99 and up. You guys know if they are legit?
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look properly. The price $3.99 is for second purchase.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

6.99 for the first and 3.99 for the second, thats pretty good. But I'm suspect of a site offering such a good deal and having such a low alexa rank. Remember if the registrar goes under theres a good chance you will lose all of your domain names.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts