Forward one domain to another

• ASAP
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ASAP
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I'm sure this is easy, but there's too many variables to make me comfortable with any one solution.

What I have here are two websites for the same company, olddomain.net and newdomain.com.

What I'm trying to do is stop having olddomain.net be hosted but requests for olddomain.net to go to newdomain.com.

Olddomain.net and newdomain.com are both registred with two different companys and on seperate servers.

I am told that the best way to do this is to have olddomain.net's A record point to newdomain.com, but what I'm not so sure about is if I'll need to set up olddomain.net on the new host or do something like "parking" the domain.

Any suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

oldomain.net must remain active to do this. I suggest you get a plan with Addon domain capability for the newdomain.com. Then setup a simple page with an auto redirect that informs all traffic to the olddomain.net that you have moved to the newdomain.com and you will be transported there in ten (10) seconds. Allow 20-30 seconds on actual redirect so that they have enough time to read the page.
  • ASAP
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ASAP

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've already done that while I wait for DNS to propogate. What I've done is on the host for newdomain.com is park olddomain.net over that and change olddomain.net to point to the name servers for newdomain.com.

I'm just checking to see if this will blow up in my face while I still have a change to change things back.

Your idea is good, but we want to fully remove the olddomain.net host.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Removing the olddomain.net entirely is something you should only consider when your stats show no traffic to it. Another option would be to setup a redirect via htaccess. However this would make the change instant and your traffic may not notice the new domain name in their browser. This will leave them uneducated and increase their dependence upon the olddomain.net. Domain name recognigtion is not something you should take lightly.
  • ASAP
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ASAP

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure if I'm not being clear or maybe I'm just not using the correct words.

Olddomain.net is going to be around for a long time, but we'd like it to forward to newdomain.com so that newdomain.com gets the recognition while olddomain.net is phased out.

Will the steps I've taken allow me to do this?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. Parking olddomain.net on newdomain.com is the way I would go. One of my clients has 3 domains, one web site. It took just a few seconds to park her other two domains on top of the "main" one, and it works.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts