Free Hosting vs Paid Hosting. Need some tips...

• vckc4ever
  • Born
  • Born
  • vckc4ever

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear all,

I am new here but will always appreciate any tips and comments... :)

Recently I came across some free hostings and paid hostings and I have a few questions to ask regarding to uploading .exe, .zip to any webhosting companies.

1. Free hosting companies normally do not accept executable files such as .exe or even zip to be uploaded into their servers. It did not show up when I uploaded one example of a .zip file. Q is : is it true that almost all of them do not accept these formats.... ? and there is always a file size limitation for each of the upload.

2. Paid hosting companies do not have the problems of accepting such file formats ( .zip & .exe ) and no limitation on the file size. Q is : Are all the companies that provide paid hosting only have this feature ?

Last question : if any one comes across free hosting cos that provide hosting and uploading of .exe and .zip files free of charge, please inform me....

Thanks for your troubles..

Cheers !
Vincent
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vincent:

executables are banned from free hosts for fear of them being viruses. Zip are usually banned to prevent the disguise of unwanted files. Paid hosts will not have these same restrictions. However some paid hosts will have file size, use and type restrictions. Specifically some will not allow multi-media types, or files that are not currently linked to an html page and then there are those that even restrict the size of the file that may be uploaded. Of course there are also many hosts like us that do not subject their customers to such restrictions or as we like to call it madness.

Other things you should consider are that free hosts tend to come and go much faster than paid hosts. Free hosts also tend to exist for some other gain they are getting from you, eg: traffic or advertising on each of your pages. Thus if you care about your data and do not wish to be subjected to the disappearing host syndrome or the aforementioned madness I strongly suggest you invest $4-10.00/month on a quality host.
  • siggy
  • siggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Free host are "free" for a reason. Although they do not charge you to host your website, they have restrictive limits on data storage and bandwith usage. And most of them inundate your visitors with banner ads, and pop-ups, which is how they earn their revenue. If you look around I am sure you can find low cost web hosting ( less than $5/mo) that will not put ads on your site, and will allow you ample datat storage for all your files.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

tanstaafl
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

rename your .exe and .zip files to the .html
  • whatusername
  • Born
  • Born
  • whatusername

Post 3+ Months Ago

dolay wrote:

That's evil :shock:
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatusername wrote:
dolay wrote:

That's evil :shock:

hmm.. can we called it pratical(turkish) intelligence :lol: ?
  • PHP_Guru
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

When Your Interested In A Host. Read Their Terms Of Service Agreement. Usually, If They Do Not Allow A File Type, They Will Say So. As For File Size; Its Limited To Your Disk Space.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts