Is free web hosting really free?

• Lesli
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lesli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard that free web hosting will provide you the space, but you will also have the advertisement such as banners or google adsense on your web. Is it true? Is there any free web hosting that will not do this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generaly most "free" web hosts will sk you have a link on your site that directs users back to their main page. http://www.freewebs.com used to be quiet good, they said you could either use a text or image based link. I decided for a text based as they didnt say it had to be visible so I made the font colour the same as my background colour.

Think they have changed the rules now though :P
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

or posting in forums...
  • coyouth
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lesli wrote:
I heard that free web hosting will provide you the space, but you will also have the advertisement such as banners or google adsense on your web. Is it true? Is there any free web hosting that will not do this?

Anyway, it's still free as in you don't have to pay anything. You just have to give up some things.
  • guitarman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • guitarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

there may be a free webhosting that provides you free hosting BUT you have to use a subdomain of their site. Other word: no such thing as Free lunch.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

All free webhosts need to benefit in some way from providing the service. Generally this means that they'll stick an advertisment on your website.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's only a such thing as "free" if there's also a such thing as "getting screwed over".

See, you might be able to get the hosting for free at the moment, but rest, uhh, assured, that you will be getting screwed over sooner or later.
  • oppiweb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cyberspace, does exist, and will cost somebody something, somewhere - so be sure you'l have plough something back to your host somewhere....
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know a person who owns a hosting business, and when he has some free space he gives it out for free without ads or posts on forums.
  • charlesgan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tchuki wrote:
Generaly most "free" web hosts will sk you have a link on your site that directs users back to their main page. http://www.freewebs.com used to be quiet good, they said you could either use a text or image based link. I decided for a text based as they didnt say it had to be visible so I made the font colour the same as my background colour.

haha... smart. thanks for the tips :roll:
  • ToFi
  • Born
  • Born
  • ToFi

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're planning on getting a webhost just to give having your own website a try, free webhosts aren't that bad. I'm not sure if they're still online, but back in the days (oh geeze) I used to cruise the FreeWebSpace.Net forums a lot.
  • Dave White
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Dave White

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing comes free in this world. There is always a catch behind every offer that is free.
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tchuki wrote:

It's a black SEO trick I think. And you can be banned for it.
As for the really free hosting I don't think it exists in the world. In this life you have to pay for everything. Nothing is given for free.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i found http://www.evenhosting.com its a really good, relible free host, all they ask in return is that you post 10 posts before you apply for the hosting, and then 2 a month from then on! its not really alot to ask for free hosting.
  • coyouth
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dave White wrote:
Nothing comes free in this world.

That's what my parents ALWAYS tells me; "Nothing is free in this world except from your FATHER & MOTHER"...
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe free hosting is doomed to extinction, how can it compete with cheap hosting plans?
  • top9
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • top9

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think most of them are supported by ads
  • uzzo04
  • Born
  • Born
  • uzzo04

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are few offering ad-free hosting but some features are disabled like smtp.
but if you really want a better ad-free no-cash hosting, you can settle for a post-for-host offers.
  • micksss

Post 3+ Months Ago

coyouth wrote:
Dave White wrote:
Nothing comes free in this world.

That's what my parents ALWAYS tells me; "Nothing is free in this world except from your FATHER & MOTHER"...
So True :D

If you are planning on setting up real deal site you might as well pay for a low cost web host. If it's just for fun go with a free one.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want cheap, 1&1.com has some really affordable hosting packages.

I just signed up with them yesterday, so I'm not sure how good they are, but for the price it's at least worth a shot. And today is the last day of their 6 months half off sale.

Might be worth looking into. and they give free domain name on registering.
  • thuymai
  • Born
  • Born
  • thuymai

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://vdap.com currently offers free up to three websites for any webmater who has an account with them. With them, you can create active server pages by inserting their predefined control name. In other words, without programing skill, you can build database driven web pages include selling/shipping online feature. All you need to know is HTML.

To register as a webmaster, you need to have an invitation code. They gave me 2 but I already invited my friends.
Just go to there site and ask them.
  • photongroups
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • photongroups

Post 3+ Months Ago

we havw cheap hosting photongroups@yahoo.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts