Frustration!

• jh21236
  • Born
  • Born
  • jh21236

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I currently own a domain name which I registered with a registrar. Currently, when I type in the URL, it goes to their server, and they bounce it to mine. How can I set it up so that when anyone types in the URL it comes directly to my server. I need to know for the purposes of a small e-commerce site I'm making. Currently it won't let me use the "https:" protocol with my domain name because it's looking for my secure pages on my registrar's server instead of mine. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with DNS setup. If anyone could help it would be hugely appreciated. Possibly explain how I can accomplish this task?

Thanks alot in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I would like to a clarify a few things. Is your host, also you registrar?

Second, if the answer is no, are you using your DNS servers that your host told you to use? Usually what you do is enter your DNS servers in your registrar's configuration section that your host had told you to use. That way when someone visits your site, it will look at your hosts DNS servers to determine exactly where your domain should be loaded from. By doing it like this there is no redirection or anything. This is the normal way things happen.

What you are describing sounds like you are using your registrar's DNS servers which then redirect to your site. If this is the case I wouldn't use their DNS servers, I would use your hosts (assuming your host isn't your registrar).
  • jh21236
  • Born
  • Born
  • jh21236

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated! Okay right now I am pointed to my registrar's DNS servers. Is it possible to have my own DNS server? I host my own site from home, that's where the problem lies basically. I know it's in setting up DNS here at home that the problem is and I've been through countless search engines trying to set it up myself. I know it sounds like a money pinching way to do it, and that's exactly what it is. In any event, I run Apache 1.3 with mod_php and mod_ssl installed and working on a Win2k platform. The major problem I'm having right now is when I goto a secure form page, it says can't find page on the server because it's looking at the registrars server instead of my home machine for the certificates and such. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again
  • sirgamesalot
  • sirgamesalot
  • Loc: london ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have some DNS software installed on your home pc?

if not you should look into installing some.
  • jh21236
  • Born
  • Born
  • jh21236

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a mighty fine idea, since I didn't know I needed it, can you recommend any good packages?

Thanks
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

tons of great info here on hosting yourself. I wouldn't recommend it, but...

http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=384
  • bveditz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bveditz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't recommend your own DNS servers. Most simply, you would need two IP's to do it. What I would recommend, however, is use of something like granitecanyon.com or mydomain.com and use those as the DNS server. With Granitecanyone.com, at least, you can set up the DNS record exactly as you want it, plus you'll have the redudancy needed for a name server. Granitecanyon has multiple DNS servers at multiple locations, so it's the best route to take.

I believe mydomain.com will work as well and is a lot easier to use, but I don't know the extent of their services. Both granitecanyon and (last I checked) mydomain.com are free.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts