Excuse me, but i have a problem.

I have redhat 7.3 and i need to give FTP access to specify folder for user

What can do it?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you can tell them how to navigate to that folder once they ftp in. By default they will ftp into their home path. However they will most likely not have permission to do anything with any other directory that does not reside under their home path, as their user and group probably will not match.

Are they able to FTP in now? and if so what errors are they getting once they get to that folder. I am thinking they are having permission problems and you might try to add them to the group of the folder you want to give them access to. You can edit group permission at

/etc/group

To give them read and write access to that folder you would have to make sure that the folder has the bits for read and write set for the group permission.

Anyway as you can see this is not the simpliest task if you haven't done any of this before.

An easier way might be to just have them upload everything to the folder they have access to immediately when they login. At that point you can move everything to the folder they do not have access to. Or you might just give them them access the user that owns the other folder up front.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts