FTP Question

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know where to post this so I'm posting it here... a mod could move it to it's appropriate resting spot :)

I've never used FTP before and at the host I have right now (webfaction.com) I can create a SSH/sftp user (Whatever the . it is). Is sftp a "Secure File Transfer Protocol"?

Like I said before, I haven't ever used FTP so I don't know how to use it... any tutorials? I understand I would probably need an add-on for such thing... any great add-ons? For maybe like Firefox or something?

Thanks for all the help :)
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wikipedia says SFTP = SSH File Transfer Protocol, which pretty much means "secure" FTP.

Using FTP is really simple, just get an FTP client and then it'll be self-explanatory. I'd recommend FileZilla.

PS: Why does every other open-source software's name end as "zilla"? Mozilla, FileZilla, Bugzilla... :?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
PS: Why does every other open-source software's name end as "zilla"? Mozilla, FileZilla, Bugzilla... :?
:lol: Never thought about that... good point

Thanks for the reply... appreciated :) Thanks again
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, got FileZilla, up/downloaded it, installed it, set it up to 127.0.0.1 with administration password... I still don't get what to do... any more help? *lol, don't mean to be a pain in the bu*t
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

127.0.0.1? You should connect to your web host's FTP server.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
127.0.0.1? You should connect to your web host's FTP server.

Yeah, just did that and it said that it couldn't connect to server... tried again in 5 seconds and still the same show...

I posted this on the host site's forum and eagerly awaiting their reply... thanks :)
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually, the FTP server is on a separate domain, eg. ftp.mywebhost.com - you can usually find this information on their FAQ page.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
Usually, the FTP server is on a separate domain, eg. ftp.mywebhost.com - you can usually find this information on their FAQ page.

I know... that's what I did... minus the ftp... that's what I will try right now...

Alright... now it says that the connection is done... I just can't hit the right port... at the site it says either 21 for FTP and 22 for SFTP... I tried them both and for both of them I get...

Connecting to server...
Connected, waiting for authentication
Protocol error: Unknown protocol identifier (0x83 0x83 0x72). Most likely connected to the wrong port.
Connection to server closed.
Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds

And that in an endless loop
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since you mentioned SFTP, did you set Servertype = SFTP in the Site Manager. (Don't use Quickconnect for this, create a new entry in the Site Manager)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
Since you mentioned SFTP, did you set Servertype = SFTP in the Site Manager. (Don't use Quickconnect for this, create a new entry in the Site Manager)

:lol: That's exactly what they said and this is what they said to do ""File" --> "Site Manager..." --> "New Site", and then you need to select "SFTP" for the servertype."

Do they mean in FileZilla? If so, the only options in "File" is Connect to server, Disconnect and Quit... and I couldn't find "File" anywhere in the control panel on the site...

Any more help on it? Thanks so much.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Do they mean in FileZilla? If so, the only options in "File" is Connect to server, Disconnect and Quit... and I couldn't find "File" anywhere in the control panel on the site...

Huh? I've got FileZilla open in front of me and I can see "Site Manager" in the File menu. And the first button on the toolbar does the same thing too. Just to be sure, is this where you downloaded the cilent: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded the filezilla server rather than client... Oops...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

YAY! Success I see the wondrous screen I saw so many times on screenshots... wow, this actually woke me up damn!
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D Glad you got it working. From this point on, it should be a breeze. The Explorer-like interface lets you copy-paste or drag-and-drop your files.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I'm already clicking a mile :) Thanks so much casablanca. I appreciate it a lot :D
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

What email client do you use?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use gmail and the mnailing service they give me at my host... why?
  • geshoto
  • Born
  • Born
  • geshoto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use

http://www.holhost.com

and i have no problems with FTP!!!
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a heads up Bogey, if you havnt already figured this out I thought I might share this with you.

On webfaction the file stuchure it a little different from other hosts. In side of your home directory (/home/<username>) there are a few folders. One of which is called webapps. This folder contains all the applications you have made on your account. If you want to place files outside of your public files. You can do that by placing them in your home directory. However, I recommened that you dont place files directly inside of it, rather you make a folder and put files in it. You wont be able to create any folders/files right inside of the webapps folder because the webfaction team restricts your access to that folder.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. Thanks so much for the heads up... my site is mostly up and running, I just got to fix a lot of bugs to make it how I want it to be...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

geshoto wrote:
I use

http://www.holhost.com

and i have no problems with FTP!!!

I don't have any problems either... I just installed FileZilla Server on accident...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts