FTP setup

• inferno_gogo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
I have a spare computer at home and I want to make it like a server and ftp acces. Does anyone know how to do so? or have a very good website that contains that.

Thanks (The noobie)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the first thing you should research is your ISP's Terms on this. Most ISP's are reluctant (or flat out deny) using your home account to run a server of any type.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

ISP's typically frown upon this sort of behavior. However, as long as the traffic is not outrageous, they usually let it slide. As ATNO said though, you will want to read through your terms of service agreement. In some cases I have heard of users getting fined for offering such services.

If, given all of that, you decided to offer ftp, there are as many options as you can imagine. One common thread; if you are going to have more than one machine on the internet, you need to NAT. This means either sticking your ftp box in between your desktop and using it to run dhcp and nat or getting something like a linksys router. If you choose the latter, you need to open a conduit (basically, just port forward) ports 20 and 21 for FTP to the new machine.

First step is to decide which method you will choose, then which operating system, then which ftp -- it's a multi-step process. :)

Cheers.
  • zap
  • zap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mostly what I'd do is buy a static ip from my ISP and then bind my computer to the ip. Then just buy a cpanel license from softwareworks.com and then just install cpanel and your set to go, as cpanel has a ftp, pop-3, etc etc servers. So thats probably the fastest quickest way . But I can see it costing a fair amount :P . Plus some ISP don't even offer static ips without current plans.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as software goes i really like the bulletproof ftp server.

and if you wanted an ftp, email, and apache server i would go with something like:
http://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-en.html
or http://apache2triad.sourceforge.net/

apache2triad has worked really good for me
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

zap wrote:
Mostly what I'd do is buy a static ip from my ISP and then bind my computer to the ip. Then just buy a cpanel license from softwareworks.com and then just install cpanel and your set to go, as cpanel has a ftp, pop-3, etc etc servers. So thats probably the fastest quickest way . But I can see it costing a fair amount :P . Plus some ISP don't even offer static ips without current plans.

no that's not really the quickest or the easiest because then you would need to learn linux and with something else you can install on windows

cpanel licenses are very pricey also
  • zap
  • zap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it was quick for me and I have no clue on linux. Pretty well all I did was install Linux and then bought the cpanel license. Installed apache and had cpanel.net support install cpanel for me. So its quick and easy, all the owner has to do is buy the license, install linux and contact cpanel support.
  • inferno_gogo
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that for a server, what if just want to host my web page? is it the same think?
  • zap
  • zap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if your just hosting your own site then you just need apache and a good ftp program. But remember if you don't have a static ip, every time the computer goes off the dns has to be rechanged and the site goes down.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

or you can use a dynamic dns server.

here is the site that tells you everything you need to know about getting everything setup:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

inferno_gogo

*sighs

Please go back to what Daemonguy and I first posted. Unless your ISP allows this you are standing in stagnent waters.

The rest are suggestions that could work but will require you to learn and understand linux.

Bottom line is, the best suggestion for alternatives so far is the dynamic DNS suggested by SSH-Raj. However your point of entry is going to be your ISP. If they don't allow it you are a dead stick from the getgo.
  • inferno_gogo
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

k, thanks guys
i'm checking that website http://www.dslwebserver.com/ and it will help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts