FTP

• mike555
  • mike555

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of a free FTP program that allows me to edit sites from the program rather than have to edit and re-upload to the server. I tried Coffeecup version, but you have to pay to be able to edit the site.

Thanks
Mike
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never saw FTP with editing capabilities. SSH has that but not FTP.
  • mike555
  • mike555

Post 3+ Months Ago

CuteFTP allows you to. Right click on the website go to edit and you can edit and save the code on the piece of software.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mike555 wrote:
CuteFTP allows you to. Right click on the website go to edit and you can edit and save the code on the piece of software.

Cute FTP is no longer free. It has a 30 day trial and then you have to purchase even the lite version.

HTML-Kit is and has a built in upload client. It's your next best alternative. You still have to edit your files on your local machine, but the upload is easy.

free download

After editing, just click Workspace>Upload.

Your first time you'll be prompted to add your FTP server connection info.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

With Filezilla you can setup program associations for the context menu of files in the listing, or inherit them from the operating system.

When you open a remote file with the View/Edit option in the context menu, Filezilla will download that file to a temp directory then open it in your editor and watch the file on disk for changes.
Once you save the file using your chosen application, Filezilla will ask you if you want to upload the modified version of the file with a prompt.

That's the closest you're going to get without something running on the server that can apply diff patches to the files.

Have you considered using Subversion (SVN) instead ?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never used an FTP client. I learned FTP by command line only & still do it that way. It gives a better understanding of the protocol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts