Hi,

I have signed up for a reseller hosting account myname.com with
ns1.myname.com and ns2.myname.com

I have created 3 subdomains under myname.com:
-a.myname.com
-a2.myname.com
-a3.myname.com

...And the funny thing is:

Never, all of them are available to access via domain/subdomain, the 2 cases below is alternative day after day (though no change was made to DNS settings):

Case1:
If myname.com and a.myname.com are available to access, then a2.myname.com and a3.myname.com ares not available to access.

Case2:
If a2.myname.com and a3.myname.com are available to access, then
a.myname.com and myname.com are not available to access.

(a2.myname.com and a3.myname.com are not available to access but they are still available to access via myname.com/a2/ or myname.com/a3/).

Could someone please tell me what is happening? Something is wrong at my hosting server or at somewhere else?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry, but your message's meaning is completely lost upon me.

I have no idea what it is you are asking... but I will take a stab in the dark.

You resell the domain space, myname.com.
As such, you have created hosts (not really subdomains, unless you are trying to branch off of those, which according to the latter text, is not the case. )

Presumably, when you say you have a website at myname.com, you are referring to something like http://www.myname.com or just myname.com which in DNS would be the '@' symbol across from the IP assigned to that virtual host.
That having been said, I will also assume these are all virtual hosts, (again I make this assumption based upon something you said -- re: the content is also found at /a2/ etc. This tells me they are all hosted on the same server. )

2 main methods of virtual hosting, IP based, and name-based. Regardless, each will have an entry in DNS;
a2 IN A <IP>
a3 IN A <IP>

The IP can be the same if name-based, or different with IP-based.

I am going to assume you are using named based, which means you have correctly configured your web server to accept name-based host accesses (via host-header information).

So here's the thing. *IF* the server is correctly configured and the dns is configured as I have laid out above... when you surf to a2.myname.com you should get the IP assigned to that, and translate the host header data, if name-based, into the proper content tree; /a2/. If you see diff hosts serving at diff times, you may be round-robining your dns; multiple IP's for the same domain, or more likely, the same IP for all the domains (re: name-based virtual hosting) but you simply don't have the webserver configured correctly.

So, given that I had to make a lot of assumptions here, I would start with the configuration of the webservers, and make sure that name-based virtual hosting has been correctly configured.

Cheers.
  • Minski
  • Minski

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for your support, Daemonguy! : )
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh, sure. (Was that even remotely helpful? )

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts