GeoCities Free Web Hosting

• Lee06410
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lee06410

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking for some help

I am a school teacher and I was setting up a web site for school on Geocities. I started with the free option. I really like the editing tools, and spent hours looking for science links for games and activities for my class, setting up the pages and linking them. After I spent about 3 days on it my entire site disappeared overnight.

I thought it was a fluke so I created a new Yahoo id and created a new site. Which was well under the free limit of 15MB (about 5MB). I had one screen open to manage files and where I would upload, and Pagebuilder open creating a new page when I got a message that said I didn't have an index.html anymore. I tried to save the page I was doing as the index but there was a file I/O error.

I looked back at the window with the Filemanager and my entire site had disappeared.

I am at a loss (literally). Any help? Anyone I can contact? (I've tried seending messages on Geocity) Any sympathy? he he :twisted:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately free hosting never helps. :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, when you utilize a free service such as geocities, you are at their mercy -- and rarely do they respond to queries regarding said free services.

You may wish to look elsewhere; a suggestion might be local. Perhaps find a local ISP, and ask them to sponsor the class by providing you free webspace. All ISP's tend to provide their customers with a modicum of webspace, and am sure they have adequate disk to handle yours. When I owned a regional ISP, we did that for all the local schools.

There's also a bunch of 'free' services listed on Ozzu; search the 'free hosting' topic in this section.

Cheers, and good luck.
  • coolio
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • coolio

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI
i am sorry to hear about your loss but i have been using geocities for over 2 years now and i dont have such problems.
Maybe uve misspelled the name or something
I am sure there's no problem at yahoo 's end.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts