Oh! God, Help me, Exchange 2k issue

• nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got this error message. :cry:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Menu proposal dinner cupola
Sent: 2004-10-26 22:44

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Handel Lee (Bei Jing) on 2004-10-26 22:45
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<shotb09.on-the-bund.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for hlee@velaw.com>

I don't know why and how to fix.. Help me please... (-_-)!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I am not really sure where the disconnect is here. You tried to send an email, and got a bounce?

Could you be more specific? Send the headers of the return mail; tell us who you are trying to send from (domain) to(domain)?
Is this an example of a systemic issue? Are all of your mails bouncing?

Cheers.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a pretty generic error and has several possible causes, but here's a rough start to fixing it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... uct=exch2k
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) Thank you for your help!!

I tried to send many times yesterday morning, it's failure again, but yesterday afternoon I sent successfully. I didn't change anything on server. :?

I sent mail from "on-the-bund.com" to "velaw.com"

Yes, this is an example of a systemic issue.

We have 6k~7k mails every day. But I found only this domain have problem..
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
That's a pretty generic error and has several possible causes, but here's a rough start to fixing it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... uct=exch2k

Thank you for your help!

I read that document, Does it mean this is the recipient's problem and need them change some settings??
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you send 6000 mails a day and only this domain is giving you trouble, that should say something right there. Chances are it's on their end.

Have you ever had this problem before with them? Did it just start recently? I ask, because it seems they have 2 mail servers (beta and. alpha) and depending which is primary could be related; despite having a lower preference in the MX record, beta seems to come up and answer a lot. It's possible, I suppose, that this is a backup mail server and is not exactly configured like the old one, thus giving you headaches. This is, of course a wild-wag, and needs further investigation.

I still would like to see the entire email headers of the response you receive. If you are using Outlook, look at the message, go to View->Options.
In the box labeled "Internet headers" will be a bunch of stuff -- I would like to see that as well as the content of the bounced message.

It sounds like an internal configuration issue though, given all the information we have to date. They might have a main mail server which directs specific origin mail to various points; if that has problems, or the one on the local end then you would see relay issues from the main mta to the local mtas(mda's).

Send those headers if you can, and lets have a better look.

Cheers.
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very very much!! You're great!!

Excuse me, My english speak not well.

I had this problem with "velaw.com" since I created our company personal exchange2k mail system. But the few email can't send to "velaw.com". I don't make any policy for "velaw.com".

This is the email header information. From lhu@on-the-bund.com send to somebody@velaw.com and CC to long_hlc@tom.com, but rejected.

Quote:
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
To: lhu@on-the-bund.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:00:06 +0800
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01C4A8EB78B1A80A0000B3B0shotb09.on?the?b"
X-DSNContext: 7ce717b1 - 1184 - 00000002 - 00000000
Message-ID: <jvChKXrRr00000895@shotb09.on-the-bund.com>
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

--9B095B5ADSN=_01C4A8EB78B1A80A0000B3B0shotb09.on?the?b
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=unicode-1-1-utf-7

Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Content-Type: message/rfc822

Return-Receipt-To: "Leo Hu" <lhu@on-the-bund.com>
Content-Type: multipart/related;
type="multipart/alternative";
boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.C9142972"
Subject: testing
Disposition-Notification-To: "Leo Hu" <lhu@on-the-bund.com>
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6249.0
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:59:48 +0800
Message-ID: <00DF8280B9D8B645B2EC80753F3D47D62FEBBE@shotb09.on-the-bund.com>
X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Thread-Topic: testing
Thread-Index: AcS74U2yr9WgT5+8STejcIOXbYzcdA==
To: <dsun@velaw.com>
Cc: <long_hlc@tom.com>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.C9142972
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.C9142972"

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.C9142972
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="utf-7"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.C9142972
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="utf-7"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.C9142972--
------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.C9142972
Content-Type: image/jpeg;
name="Notebook.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <893235504@27102004-0929>
Content-Description: Notebook.jpg
Content-Location: Notebook.jpg

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.C9142972--

--9B095B5ADSN=_01C4A8EB78B1A80A0000B3B0shotb09.on?the?b--

The "velaw.com" said:"this message is from the on-the-bund mail server and is not generated by our system."
:? I think maybe they said right. The mail headers is from "postmaster@on-the-bund.com" , but I don't understand why the most email to "velaw.com" have no problem. Our email system only have one server, it isn't FE/BE.

Thank you very much again!!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok something is missing there. Usually in the headers are the diagnostic codes and actions. Is that the entire header? (In the response you get back from the mail server, should be contained in, or include the actual bounce message.
Yes, your server is responding to you that the delivery failed, however the reason for it could be a failure on their part.
When I say 'failure', of course I mean a breakdown in the mail delivery process, not necessarily a functional problem on their end. (EG. That user may not exist as it was entered -- spelled differently -- therefore the mail server at the receiving end would respond as such to your mail server and your mail server would kick out a delivery failure notification. )
That is of course, just one plausible example.
What we really need are the actual headers -- not from the message you received from your mail server, but the actual return. This may have been included as a mime attachment with the bounce mail. (Text files attached to the message).
Open the attachment, copy and paste that text in here. Sorry, that's probably my fault for not being more clear in the beginning.

Cheers.
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks again! I sincerely appreciate your kind help!!

That message is the entire mail header. I used english office outlook 2003, when I double click the system rejected mail it shows the follow message:

Quote:
邮件没有到达某些或全部的预定收件人。

主题: testing
发送时间: 2004-10-27 12:56

无法到达以下收件人:

dsun@velaw.com,时间为 2004-10-27 12:57
没有向此收件人发送邮件的权限。请与系统管理员联系获取帮助。
<shotb09.on-the-bund.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for dsun@velaw.com>

The mean is the same as the following message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Menu proposal dinner cupola
Sent: 2004-10-26 22:44

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Handel Lee (Bei Jing) on 2004-10-26 22:45
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<shotb09.on-the-bund.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for hlee@velaw.com>

If I click "send again...." on the toolbars it will show the message that I want to sent. (see link)

http://pic12.album.tom.com/album_pic/2004/11/2/1099381939_71006.jpg?%75%4f%64%4b%6b%71%48%71%69%74

If I right click rejected mail and select "option" I can get the mail header information that I posted

Quote:
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
To: lhu@on-the-bund.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:56:46 +0800
Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01C4A8EB78B1A80A0000B3A4shotb09.on?the?b"
X-DSNContext: 7ce717b1 - 1184 - 00000002 - 00000000
Message-ID: <7NamkvTfo00000893@shotb09.on-the-bund.com>
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

--9B095B5ADSN=_01C4A8EB78B1A80A0000B3A4shotb09.on?the?b
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=unicode-1-1-utf-7

Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Content-Type: message/rfc822

Return-Receipt-To: "Leo Hu" <lhu@on-the-bund.com>
Content-Type: multipart/related;
type="multipart/alternative";
boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882"
Subject: testing
Disposition-Notification-To: "Leo Hu" <lhu@on-the-bund.com>
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6249.0
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:56:22 +0800
Message-ID: <00DF8280B9D8B645B2EC80753F3D47D62FEBBC@shotb09.on-the-bund.com>
X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Thread-Topic: testing
Thread-Index: AcS74U2yr9WgT5+8STejcIOXbYzcdA==
To: <dsun@velaw.com>
Cc: <long_hlc@tom.com>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882"

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882--
------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882
Content-Type: image/jpeg;
name="Notebook.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <893235504@27102004-0929>
Content-Description: Notebook.jpg
Content-Location: Notebook.jpg

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BBE1.4E0D7882--

--9B095B5ADSN=_01C4A8EB78B1A80A0000B3A4shotb09.on?the?b--

This's all information about that rejected mail. Thanks .... ^_^
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, so let me see if I have this right.

You ( Leo Hu, a user at 'on-the-bund.com) are attempting to send email to Handel Lee (hlee@velkaw.com)? If this is right, who is dsun@velaw.com?

I ask this because, while it could be misleading, it seems that the same message contains "send to" information for both. The first part of your error contains the hlee username, and the second part the dsun.
If this user is forwarded within his own mail server, and the secondary address is an internal route only -- that is to say, it only accepts mail that has processed through the gateway ID -- then perhaps your problem does exist on the other side. It's an odd way to filter messages, and I have only seen it once before, but a group will set up multiple mail servers (not at all strange) and have a gateway mail server (or IP) act as the front end, to deliver mail to various and sundry user-mail exchangers. Again, large companies do this, and it's not at all strange.

The odd part comes in that, as I have seen only once, they use different userid's for internal and external despite being the same mailbox. It's very odd, and I am not even certain this is what is going on here. Just something I am throwing out.

If you could clarify who dsun is vs. hlee that might clear things up. You don't have to give specifics, but just tell me if you know they are two different people, and that your error messages reflect that fact. Then we can move on.

Remember, your mail server can provide you with the error, but that is because it is relaying an RFC bounce message back to you. I can sendmail -bv username@mailstop all day long, and most of the time I will get bounces, not because my sendmail or my postfix is incorrectly configured, but because they report the errors they receive.

Cheers.
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock:

OH..sorry, sorry, My fault, I didn't show my idea clearly, Handle lee (hlee@velaw.com) and dsun@velaw.com are two person of velaw.com.

First, I sent mail to hlee@velaw.com,but unsuccessful, so I sent mail to other guy(dsun@velaw.com) , It's unsuccessful too. I received two rejected mails. The mails content is that I wrote here. Because one mail is chinese and another is english, I pasted two .

I read that mail header, but I can't find any information about this failure. :wink:

Thanks... :D Best wishes for you!!
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, so this is happening for a small subset of users to a single domain? Could be they have tightened requirements down, ("they" being the mail server admins over at the other domain).

Here's something to try; create an SMTP connector to send mail to that domain only via your ISP's SMTP server;
http://www.amset.info/exchange/smtp-connector.asp

Seems exchange might have issues if other sides tighten up what they consider "relaying".

Good luck.

Cheers.
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello~~

The problem happened again,Yesterday everything is ok, but today it's crazy.

I read that doc and did that, The mail I sent was rejected again. I can sure this is not my email server problem, because I didn't change anything on email server . but I still hope to know exact reason. Maybe God knows :wink:

Thank you very much again. Do you think is there any other reason?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, you followed that document and it still rejected?

I need to know if this is happening to every user on their system? (More than just the two)?
You can test this by sending a mail to a catch-all account, such as postmaster@velaw.com; if it gets rejected too, then the problem is a disconnect between your two servers. While that sounds like an obviously answer, what I mean by it is your exchange server sends the mail, however it is routing it from an internal domain -- this could be misinterpreted by the other side as forwarded mail. This could happen if your exchange server sends mail through your ISP's gateway. (Starts with you, goes to them, they send. )

2 ways around it is either to alter the configs on your side to permit pass-through on the Internet mail connector (no, I am not sure how to accomplish that with Exchange) or ask them -- the maintainers of their mail system to permit what appears to be forwarded mail from your domain through.

Without being able to do 'hands-on', that's really all I can say. The error you are getting empirically states that they will not "forward" your mail; permission denied. They believe you to be essentially a spammer, using a forward mail relay or proxy in an effort to conceal who you really are.

Sorry, but given the information I have, that seems about all I can come up with. Given that I leave for vacation tomorrow, my mind is not exactly in the right frame perhaps. ;)

Cheers.
  • nomoney
  • nomoney

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're great man, Thanks , Your help and your advice, Your character is praiseworthy.

:D
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the compliment, though I wished I had done something to earn it. I am not sure if during my vacation you cleared the issue up or not. Did any of what I said before I left make sense? :)

I barely did to me, now that I read it again. ;)

Hopefully your issues was resolved.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts