GoDaddy's email is mindboggling

• Stefano64
  • Born
  • Born
  • Stefano64

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

..... I manage one site with GoDaddy (the first and the last) and since Sunday 8th of September, 2013, I am having serious troubles with email addressed to the site's clients.
This site, just like the other 99% of sites) has a registration form which sends an activation email, which was working very well before, but this stopped working mysteriously and suddenly. The problem was first reported by some Clients last Monday 8th of September, 2013.

During the next 4 days of painstaking and backbreaking troubleshooting, I could finally pinpoint the cause of the problem.
To test the ability and the functioning of the smtp, sendmail and mail() methods (the all behave the same), I wrote a very simple (33 lines including comments) script which just sends a two lines email to one recipient (source code at the end);
The first line reads "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
the second line is a URL;
IF I include the dots in the URL (not even as an hyperlink, just as simple text), then the email is NOT received by the user; IF I DO NOT include the dots, as in www_whatever_com, then the email IS received by the user.

I have complained about this with GoDaddy, but they have not provided any meaningful explanation or remedy so far (as at 17:30, 14/09/2013, Western Australia time).

On Thursday 12th of September 2013 I called them; they have a NON-free number in Sydney(Australia), which is better than calling the U.S.; I called four times.

1st call, Jonathan, very gentle and apparently helpful, but could not solve the problem (note that at that point in time I still didn't pinpoint the exact nature of the problem ....)
2nd call, Mario, after a couple of minutes the line dropped.
3rd call, unidentified operator, I ask for Mario, the unidentified operator tells me that Mario will call me after about 20 minutes.
It was lunch time; I waited 40 minutes, than had lunch.
4th call, after 3 hours from the 3rd one, Ezra Lantz, while very gentle at first, he manage to get me some logs that are not "normally available" to users, but he managed to "pull some strings" ..... these logs prove worthless, as they do not show any error. And the problem is not solved ... But then the irritating part starts ... he starts his marketing sting, tries to scare me off about SQL injections etcetera, supporting this with the fact that my script is Open Source, and tries to sell me a "Website Scanner" at a promotional price (few hundreds dollars U.S.) that he will hold only for me for a day or so .... I tell him repeatedly that I cannot authorize any expenditure (I don't want to spend any more money over a service that is not working in the first place; how hard is it to comprehend ?!?!?!?); nevertheless, much to my surprise, the next time I log in, I find this product in my Cart, ready to be purchased. And, he send also an email to remind me of the product. I wonder .. on a scale from 0 to 100, how stupid does GoDaddy think we are ?!?!?!?!?!

Thursday night (12/Sept/2013), at about 21:00 local Western Australian time, I finally manage to pinpoint the root cause of my problem.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post links to external sites; however, you will find it easily on GoDaddy's email forums. You will find mine and those of many other unsatisfied customers.

I have posted other complaints on the same subject, as I was not getting any meaningful reply; I received (after many hours) reply to only one of them; it reads: (if the link above is still valid you can read it all, however this is the part of the reply of GoDaddy's support that really irritates me:

"..... I would suspect that your link or other phrases are being blocked for suspected spam content. You may have to alter the message to not include the link and try again."

Read the source code of my test script (below) and you will find how ludicrous this is. He was referring to my test script ... what phrase or link could possibly be suspected for spam content ?!?!?!?!?

And, what kind of solution is to not include the link, in an account activation email?!?!?!?

And, just to complete the picture, the "From" email is no-reply@domain dot org, where "domain" is the domain I purchased from them and that is hosted by them;
The "To" email is my personal email address name.lastname@yahoo dot it;

Bottom line is, I still have the problem and I am setting up hosting with some other provider. And GoDaddy CERTAINLY will NOT see me again as a customer, neither they will see any of my customers.

Further testing revealed that the ONLY way to send an email from a script hosted by GoDaddy shared hosting, is to use their "relay-hosting dot secureserver dot net" relay server. ANY other method, or server, or port, or protocol, is blocked.
The script I present below worked 100% fine on another hosting provider.

******************* SOURCE CODE OF THE TEST SCRIPT *****************************
********** WITH THIS SCRIPT I TEST THE ABILITY TO SEND COMPLETE URLs, THAT IS **
***** URLs WHICH INCLUDE DOTS (NOT SURPRISINGLY) *******************************
********************* START OF SCRIPT ******************************************
********************************************************************************
Code: [ Select ]
<?php
$from = "no-reply@domain dot org"; /// I can't post the actual dot here ... But you get the picture ....
$to = "name.lastname@yahoo dot it";
$headers = "From: $from\r\n";
$headers .= "Return-Path: no-reply@domain dot org\r\n";
$headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\r\n";
// $headers .= "Content-Type: text/html; charset='utf-8'\r\n";
$subject = "Test mail";
$message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
$message .= "<BR>";

// // If there are periods, the message does NOT get delivered;
// I can't post the actual dots here, I replace them with the word "dot";

$message .= "<a href = \"http://www dot whatever dot org/registration/activation.php?id=$id\">click_me</a>";

// // If there are NO periods, the message DOES get delivered;

// $message .= "http://www whatever org/registration/activation php?id=";

// I used this to further narrow down the problem ....

//$message = "http://";
//$message .= "www";
//$message .= ".";
//$message .= "whatever";
//$message .= ".";
//$message .= "org";

mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);

echo "Mail Sent.";
?>

********************************************************************************
***************************** END OF SCRIPT ************************************
  1. <?php
  2. $from = "no-reply@domain dot org"; /// I can't post the actual dot here ... But you get the picture ....
  3. $to = "name.lastname@yahoo dot it";
  4. $headers = "From: $from\r\n";
  5. $headers .= "Return-Path: no-reply@domain dot org\r\n";
  6. $headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n";
  7. $headers .= "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\r\n";
  8. // $headers .= "Content-Type: text/html; charset='utf-8'\r\n";
  9. $subject = "Test mail";
  10. $message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
  11. $message .= "<BR>";
  12. // // If there are periods, the message does NOT get delivered;
  13. // I can't post the actual dots here, I replace them with the word "dot";
  14. $message .= "<a href = \"http://www dot whatever dot org/registration/activation.php?id=$id\">click_me</a>";
  15. // // If there are NO periods, the message DOES get delivered;
  16. // $message .= "http://www whatever org/registration/activation php?id=";
  17. // I used this to further narrow down the problem ....
  18. //$message = "http://";
  19. //$message .= "www";
  20. //$message .= ".";
  21. //$message .= "whatever";
  22. //$message .= ".";
  23. //$message .= "org";
  24. mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
  25. echo "Mail Sent.";
  26. ?>
  27. ********************************************************************************
  28. ***************************** END OF SCRIPT ************************************
  29. ********************************************************************************

So, if any one of you has got problems sending activation emails .....

I suggest you remove the links, as GoDaddy cleverly suggests. or you can remove the dots .... Your Choice!

I choose to remove GoDaddy!

Cheers everyone!

Stefano.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post