Godaddy FTP User Management

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got just the small or medium sized economy Linux hosting from Godaddy and set up a small website. However, I was going to use this site for nothing more than FTP. The linux hosting packages have "unlimited" bandwidth, 150 Gigs which I can upgrade, and can set up to 50 FTP users. I thought this would be a good, cheap solution until I got into the FTP user management system for Godaddy. In Godaddy (I verified with Tech support) you can NOT set access levels for the ftp users. So, all FTP users have read and write permissions and the ftp users I was creating only needed READ-ONLY access.

I enabled SSH so I could get to the CLI but I can't get into root (of course cause it's shared hosting) and commands like groupadd/useradd are unavailable. Next, I thought I could DENY ALL UPLOAD access with an HTACCESS file and ALLOW UPLOAD access from just my IP address, but I'm not sure if that's possible. That should work if it's possible. Then I can make my read and write FTP users in Godaddy as usual and none of them would be able to upload anything unless they were on my network.

Does anyone know if this is possible with an HTACCESS file?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

.htaccess files are only for the Apache HTTP server which allow you to override the default configuration. It is not for FTP. So unless the FTP daemon has some sort of way to override the default configuration file set by Godaddy for FTP, I doubt you can do anything there.

You are more likely going to need a smaller webhost who can work with you one on one and actually get what you want. Large, cheap companies like that typically won't bend the rules for a single client such as yourself.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jeez. I agree. You said exactly like what I've been running into in my web searches. I've looked at some FTP-only hosting companies and their prices are way more than I'd like to pay for the storage they are offering. It's actually a rip-off. One site offered up to 5GB for $50/month. I fill up 5GB when I pee.

So, maybe I need to do as you say and just find a smaller host that will give me site-hosting and work with me to add better security to my ftp users.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts