Godaddy hosting

• cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking about switching my hosting from bigbytes to godaddy, because I think godaddy is much more reliable. Does anyone know where I can get the full specs on the economy plan at godaddy, the only give basic information on their website. I want to know if I get cgi access, perl, etc. in addition to the php and 10 mysql dbs that they mention. If anyone here is with them please let me know what you think.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are reputed and reliable domain registrar no doubt, but that does not mean that they are good host provider, I would suggest get review in details before getting your hosting solution. Just my thought. :roll:
  • jamestcs2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jamestcs2

Post 3+ Months Ago

In contrast, my friend just want to switch from godddy to another hosting provider..... due to server reliability. so, better you visit more forum and see how people comment on godaday.
  • etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, my point is same.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty happy with LunarPages.com but I've been looking at switching to GoDaddy. Mainly because you get more bang for your buck at GD. Post updates on GoDaddy Hosting opinions here. I'm interested in hearing what people are saying.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Buy hosting is like buying a car (not literally). The cheaper you get the less reliable it is. The more expensive you get the more reliable it becomes.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest that no decision regarding a web host be made without first consulting [sites like] http://www.webhostingtalk.com

I say "sites like" because I'm sure there are other sites like it out there, I'm just not familiar with any of them. I've been using WHT for years, and consider it an invaluable resource.

Hth, and good luck.
  • endeavour
  • Born
  • Born
  • endeavour
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there Cipher

The advice from Nem is right, you get what you pay for, the more you get for your money, the more suspicious you should become.

* Space your never use

* Bandwidth that you'll never use

* etc, ..

I have recently used Netfirms ( standard ) and Godaddy ( deluxe ) they were both HORRIBLE !

It depends what type of sites you have, do you use databases ?

Netfirms and Godaddy have mod_rewrite issues ( used for url rewrites ) .

The worst thing I had a problem with was at Godaddy, they have no LOCK TABLES Permission on their databases on the Deluxe account, this is a bit of a problem when using things such CMS, like Drupal.

I had to hack the code to get it to work right , which also encourages possible extra bugs in the future.

In the end I decided I could take no more, I was fed up with the canned answers from their support, also Godaddy's databases going down regularly, revealing the path to the database ( not good either ), also very slow on website performance at Godaddy, they are a good domain register, but I would never host with them again it was awful.

In the end I went with Hardhat Hosting, funny name, twice the cost, but I have never been happier, I chose their basic virtual server setup, but be warned this takes l bit of learning on your part, but does allow you to keep so to speak, one step ahead of the search engines, being able to do mod_rewrites and being able to host as many sites on the package for no extra cost is also very appealing.

Having FULL control, is better than only having SOME control
  • cnun
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • cnun

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about hostway ? i am using it and it is quite good
  • tan_go
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nem wrote:
Buy hosting is like buying a car (not literally). The cheaper you get the less reliable it is. The more expensive you get the more reliable it becomes.

It's not always true. Yes, Godaddy is not a cheap company but to what extent it is reliable. That is a question. Having no personal experience with them you can't be sure in their reliability. You may judge about it taking into consideration the standpoints of the other person. But this experience can be like positive but negative as well.
As for me I use ahosting.biz for a couple of months and I can't say me to have any serious issues with them. Just some light things. How everything will go on I'll see. And then share my experience with you.
  • guitarman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • guitarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would suggest hostgator as I used it myself and I dont like the godaddy admin panel as it's so complicated.

There are actually many many cheap and reliable hosting out there.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, I haven't heard the best reviews about GoDaddy hosting. I would personally look elsewhere.
  • 02cordellj
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • 02cordellj

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to host with GoDaddy but switched as they didn't have certain features i required. They do not have the official cPanel.

Their bandwidth/Space allocation is good, but dont be fooled by it. If you don't need it then don't buy it. The more stuff they offer for the cheaper price means they are compromising Customer Service and vital features.

Look around different websites, i spent months trying to get hosting that was suitable, but most websites i looked at were either out of my price range, or didn't have features i needed (Eg, official cPanel, cron jobs, SQL databases).
  • guitarman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • guitarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you are looking for cheap hosting, try hostingzoom . I have several site with them and pretty happy with the cheap and reliable deal
  • charlesgan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

cipher wrote:
I'm thinking about switching my hosting from bigbytes to godaddy, because I think godaddy is much more reliable. Does anyone know where I can get the full specs on the economy plan at godaddy, the only give basic information on their website. I want to know if I get cgi access, perl, etc. in addition to the php and 10 mysql dbs that they mention. If anyone here is with them please let me know what you think.

i am currently using godaddy. overall spec is fine, and you can easily find at godaddy website.

my biggest headache after signup is, the email account. i got limited credits to create new domain emails. and the email created is limited to 250 mail/day.
with this limitation, i cant do much thing. and if i want more, the upgrade package is quit costly. so, there is more hidden things that only you will find out after signup & using.

good luck!
  • alemcherry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alemcherry

Post 3+ Months Ago

Godaddy is not the best shared host around. They got limitations like email accounts, not using cpanel etc.

I too would second hostgator.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone I know started out using godaddy, I actually didn't believe them when they said they had 100 (that's one hundred) Gigs of storage & 1,000 (that's one thousand) Gigs for bandwidth.

I looked it up & I'll be damned if they didn't have exactly what they said.

It's become clear how they're able to do it though.
They've clamped off all the features that could be abused which likely reduces the number of support tickets they get that they actually need to deal with. (sorry folks, but I'm all for sending canned responses to the obvious troublemakers)

Some things they've disabled have crippled the ability for this persons site to do some things itself, but for the most part there's webservices out there that have been able to pickup the slack without compromising anyones privacy.
It's kinda nice to be able to relax on my normal bandwidth misering attitude as well. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts