Godaddy Plans - Options

• Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,

Im considering one of godaddys plans for website hosting the economy plan, just wondering, whats the difference between me taking a windows server other than a linux server?

I mean, i know about computing, but i cant really see an advantage to an end user like me between one ad another. anyone shed any light?

Also any comments on godaddys hosting would be nice. Thanks.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.nettigritty.com/choosingwebhosting.php

I have heard mostly negative comments about GoDaddy webhosting. Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com for good reviews.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
just wondering, whats the difference between me taking a windows server other than a linux server?

I mean, i know about computing, but i cant really see an advantage to an end user like me between one ad another. anyone shed any light?

From an end users perspective - there really isnt much difference unless you specifically code or work with Microsoft proprietary languages (ASP, .NET) or need to specifically work with Access or MS SQL..

If you are working with php/mysql, html, etc - you are perfectly fine on either.

Personally, I prefer working on linux - but, thats just me - end of the day - its really your choice...

Quote:
Im considering one of godaddys plans for website hosting the economy plan

REALLY reconsider this decision. Their hosting is subpar at best !!

I know their packages look appealing - but, may I recommend taking the funds you have budgetted for hosting and purchasing a package froma proven, reliable provider - that has the specs you actually require - vs some huge plan that 1) you will never use to capacity and 2) you will more then likely never be permitted to use before having your account suspended stating some fine print in the TOS as justification....

Hope this helps...
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohj right,

Thanks for all the comments, i wotn be using them then, who do you recommend?

Thanks.
  • bizzzare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bizzzare
  • Loc: OC, NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would recommend
webhostingace.com
nevacious.com
easyhostsolutions.net

dot5hosting.com is ok but one day they just closed all Linux accounts and forced to move either to windows hosting or to other hoster and that's what we did. they were reliable though.

the cheapest I've heard of is hostgool but downtime happens.

never deal with
existhosting.com as we never got money back from them after 2 downtimes more than 5 hours each.
weserve.ca has very bad slow technicians but good marketing support which tells you everything will be fixed within 5 minutes but it takes techs 2 weeks.
  • bizzzare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bizzzare

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just read Nevacious has been sold so I don't know how reliable the hosting is gonna be now.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
I have heard mostly negative comments about GoDaddy webhosting. Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com for good reviews.
From the perspective of one actually using their services, they have been great.
Their prices are low, and there has never been an unscheduled down time.
When I have questions, they are answered quickly and in a professional manner....what more can you ask for???

I opted for the basic plan:
$3.16 per month (prepaid for the year)
5 GB disk space
250 GB bandwidth
500 e-mail accounts
10 MySQL databases

Quote:
GoDaddy.com is rated the largest shared hosting provider in North America, according to Netcraft® Ltd.
I wonder why :D :D
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Their prices are low, and there has never been an unscheduled down time.

Geat to hear they have worked for you - others seem to have had different experiences - but, always good to hear both sides of the story :)

[quote]I opted for the basic plan:
$3.16 per month (prepaid for the year)
5 GB disk space
250 GB bandwidth
500 e-mail accounts
10 MySQL databases [/quotes]

Try using even close to 10 gigs of traffic on any mysql site out of the 250 GB allocated and let me know the results....
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please don't take offense, but ANY negative comments coming from another hosting rep have to be considered suspect, or at least questionable.
Regardless of comments found on another site, your attempts to highlite the negatives of another host must be taken in the proper perspective.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Please don't take offense, but ANY negative comments coming from another hosting rep have to be considered suspect, or at least questionable.

No offence taken what-so-ever

Quote:
Regardless of comments found on another site, your attempts to highlite the negatives of another host must be taken in the proper perspective.

Certainly, and that perspective is from a person that has several years experience running and managing a hosting company.

The prices you listed above are a marketing tactic at best and hold absolutely no merit or feasibility.

If you choose to think my motives for posting such comments are based purely with the interest of driving business towards our service, then that is of course your perogative...

However, my purpose here is to educate members of this community and others who are browsing these threads.

Anytime you see packages like the ones you have outlined, do yourself a favour and stear clear. This tactic isnt new to the web hosting industry - and godaddy certainly arent the first to try and capitalize on unknowledgable consumers through cheap marketing gimicks...

There are 100's of excellent providers out there - may I recommend anyone reading this thread specifically not choose our service - however, do yourselves a favour and dont try and buy a NEAR dedicated server package for the price of a Big Mac - I assure you it will not end well....
  • bizzzare
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bizzzare

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
do yourselves a favour and dont try and buy a NEAR dedicated server package for the price of a Big Mac - I assure you it will not end well....

completely agree with that. there is always the limit when "cheap" becomes "not worth".
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose a lot depends on the customer's expectations.

When I first signed with GoDaddy.com, the economy plan offered 1 GB space, and 25 GB bandwidth...and THAT was far more than adequate for my needs.

It seemed that wherever I went looking for a host, there were hundreds of outwardly genuine, reliable hosts with "basic" plans that offered far more features than I was ever going to need, but was also more costly than I could afford at the time.
A host that offers a wealth of options but is weak in price is likely to price them selves out of many people's markets.

I would have been happy to have had 1 GB space, 5 GB bandwidth and say 5-10 email addresses and perhaps support for a phpBB.
I didn't need all of the other, more advanced features that seem to proliferate the market these days.

I'd like to see web hosts offer up a real BASIC or starter plan of just the options I mentioned, and save the advanced stuff for companies or developers that need them....BUT price it accordingly.

Regards,

C.C.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'd like to see web hosts offer up a real BASIC or starter plan of just the options I mentioned, and save the advanced stuff for companies or developers that need them....BUT price it accordingly.

I think that you will find that this does exist - and from alot of providers. Problem is, your definition of "priced accordingly" - Im afraid most consumers definition of priced accordingly is scewed by all of these absolutely ridiculous offers out there...

Ive said this several times in the past - but, anything less then $0.50-$1.00 GB of bandwith/month is not a sustainable business model...

Companies get around this by tricky wording in their TOS around CPU and Memory usage. Fact of the matter is, forums are full of users who were asked to leave or upgrade to a MUCH more expensive plan as a result of these clauses - and the reality is, they havent used even a small percentage of the resources they thought they purchased...

Whats really driving this is the proliferation of application hosting. Put bluntly - 100 GB of transfer on a static html site isnt a big deal, and probably wont tax the systems too much - but, 100 GB of traffic to a mysql driven site (ie phpbb or mambo, or VB, etc) - is pretty much a dedicated server requirement..

What actually kills me is these companies (like godaddy) - sell 250 GB of monthly transfer for $3 (or whatever) - then also offer databases - knowing darn well - and based on their overselling equation - if anyone uses 3-5 GB of monthly transfer on a mysql site - they will be asked to upgrade to a much more expensive plan - or even a dedicated server - LONG before they need one...

So - the lesson of the day is - even though you save money initially with this sort of deal - the strategy is to get you in and upgrade you to a dedicated server - which will cost you ALOT more in the long run, then if you just went with an appropriately priced host from the start....

Eitherway, I dont mind - we have built a successful and growing business based on our pricing model and catering to application hosting - our customers get to use what they pay for (ie you buy a plan with 10 GB bandwith - you will get to use all of it without worrying about CPU resources - unless of course you have a serious problem with your script)

BUT - I feel really bad for the customers that get drawn in with the pricing models you are talking about, then raked over the coals - not too mention that the sort of overselling you are talking about always leaves a server on the brink of blowing up - and uptime, performance and reliability simply cannot be as high as an undersold, well maintained environment..

my $0.02 and hopefully someone finds value in these comments and observations....
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen countless posts on numerours forums from actual customers complaining of Godaddy's Webhosting service. People have complained about extremely long support hold times, inability to run/integrate common scripting and/or useless techsupport. In short I have concluded that their webhosting service is most suitable for the unsophisticated website that does not sustain one's livelihood. The most memorable feedback I have seen regarding their webhosting service is found here.
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

well... it took me the reading off all this thread to find out whats so bad with godaddy. I got it t the second last message. But i must say that all you guys that are complaining about GD have a link to your own hostingcompany in your sig. So i am sorry but i cant consider that an 100% non-partial answer. On the other hand there is canuk, witch i belive is a costumer of GD sayin hes very satisfied with GD.

Well... what you guys that own a web hosting company didnt get from canuk is that he doesnt own a multination inc. If 1GB wit 50GB of bandwidth would be enough, its kind kind of obvious that he is not running a huge site. So gd basic plan suits the needs, and why paying like 3 times more for a smaller pack?

Ok, of course you owners of small hosting companies have to center your business in top quallity. Thats absolutly honest and the bigger cost its no doubdt justified with advanced features on security etc etc...
We all know that 10 Mysql in a basic hosting plan its kind of non-sense. And nobody expects nobody to run forums with 1000 siultanious users on a basic plan. But... scroll down and check out how many users are online at this moment in ozzu? not 1000... not even close i imagin. And ozzu its a big webforum.

So, i would say.. . a huge company should look for a good reliable personalised service, but a beginer or a owner of a sall/medium company doesnt need to woory about so many advanced features.

There is ppl survinving on a business with 10 visits a day.... i think that a single godaddy basic plan can host dozens if not hundreds of these...

well.. don't know.... i am not so experienced in this stuff... only my opinion.

greetz

PS: dont mix things up... i am no absolutly saying that u guys are not being honest or somethin.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, eh :)

I'm not so naive as to suggest that GoDaddy is the best host for everyone, and they may even have some less-than-pleasant surprises waiting for people who like to "share" files.

BUT...when I needed a small amount of space and some decent bandwidth and email addresses on a budget, they were there for me when many of the other hosts weren't.

I'd previously been ripped off by a company called custom-webhosting, so I decided to stay away from the lesser known hosting companies and try out an established entity.

Two days after I'd moved in to my new home at GoDaddy.com, I received a phone call from a woman at customer support asking if I had any questions or concerns....do you hosting folk do that, too??

If you don't, you may want to consider doing it too...it made me feel like even my small business needs were important to them....it may be b*llsh*t, it may be nothing more than smoke-and-mirrors, but I appreciated the sense of customer care.

Again, please don't take offense at my comments, I didn't come here to be rude or inconsiderate, but if you...as a hosting company...are either unwilling or unable to satisfy the needs of the smaller, less demanding client, you will find that you will forever miss out on a huge part of the hosting pie.

Providing a sustainable business model is your goal, mine was to find an affordable, reliable web host...and I found that in GoDaddy.com

YOUR business needs should be YOUR concern....MY business needs should be BOTH our concerns....I'm the customer.

Regards,

Cold Canuck
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think any host posting the feedback of Godaddy users they have found in public forums should be discredited merely because they are a webhost. The negative feedback did not come from the webhost it came Godaddy customers. I persoanlly have found numerous negative posts from Godaddy users on numerous forums. I/we were simply relaying the same. Furthermore I went as far as to post the source of the most memorable feedback I have read regarding Godaddy. Specifically to avoid the appearance of bias.

Nevertheless your staunch defense of Godaddy's hosting and criticism of other hosts for pointing out the consenus of their user feedback has lead me to wonder what URL/domain you have hosted with Godaddy? Nothwithstanding the same I must also wonder if a hidden agenda are at work here.

Cold Canuck wrote:
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncensored-Hosting wrote:
...your staunch defense of Godaddy's hosting and criticism of other hosts for pointing out the consenus of their user feedback has lead me to wonder what URL/domain you have hosted with Godaddy? Nothwithstanding the same I must also wonder if a hidden agenda are at work here.
ANY large comapny like GoDaddy.com is going to have negative feedback, but to only focus on that, does no one justice.

ATNO has known me for a loooong time, and knows that I was only responding to a posted question...I am simply a small web design guy, period.

I have no need for hidden agendas...do you?

http://www.paradigmwebdesigns.com/
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow - people - lets all take a deep breath and relax a little...

To the people that are wondering why someone like myself is suggesting you dont use godaddy - well, I assure you it has nothing to do with my service - again (and Ive said this already) - anyone who wants a good host, let me know and I will refer them to several good companies -

Re: Godaddy and companies like them...

The people posting here really have this backwards - you cant say godaddy is fine for starters, because you dont actually need the amount of resources they are trying to sell you - that IS the entire point - they are selling 1000's of people 250 GB worth of bandwith for $3 and sticking them all on the same server - if even 1 person out of all of those thousands, uses anywhere near the 250 GB THEY HAVE PAID FOR - the entire server will crash - which is why you are hearing so many compaints about godaddy - and those of you (ie Canuck) who are currently happy - I GUARANTEE you, its only a matter of time before your site becomes unavailable for hours, your email stops working or your countinually receive mysql connect errors to your databases...

Quote:
There is ppl survinving on a business with 10 visits a day.... i think that a single godaddy basic plan can host dozens if not hundreds of these...

I absolutely agree with you - so, if this is the case, why on earth would anyone buy a plan with 250 GB of monthly transfer for $3 - knowing full well you will never even use anywhere near that - all you are doing is exposing yourself to potential problems... Honestly, take that $3 and buy a plan that is 200 mb and 5 GB bandwith from a reputable provider - chances are, you will be MUCH MUCH better off...
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please try to see it from my perspective.

At the time that I was last looking for a host, a vast majority of the hosts I could find, either through OZZU or by doing google searches, were offering far more features than I could use, but it was always at a price that unnecessarily stretched my meager budget.

Features, smeatures...if I have a budget allowing $3.95 per month, how can I justify spending $5.95+(regardless of how much BW and space the plan offers) ???

At that time, my budget was far less flexible than it is now, but with me doing proper backups and watching for problems, my situation is acceptable.

Should my host become flaky or insist that I buy into a more expensive plan, I will flee like the wind and never look back, but at this time, I have seen no such activities.

Regards,

Cold Canuck
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Please try to see it from my perspective.

I DO see this from your perspective - thats what Ive been trying to impress upon you :D

You could take that same budget and buy a package with specs you actually need, vs buying some huge package like that - which you will never, ever use... You keep saying that hosts offer packages you dont need and you needed something small for start-up - how the heck is 250 GB transfer appropriate for a startup???
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok.....
I check out a few hosting plans that you guys have in you companies and for 50$ a year you get something like 50mb with 1GB bandwith.... to little i think... that muney is enogh to buy 100 times more space in godaddy, 250 more bandwidth and a doman.... Ok.... in reallity a costumer wouldnt be able to use all that HD space, not to talk about the bandwidth. But the diference is too huge.

Ad... allow me to ask... why neither godaddy and you guys that have been posting here offer ssh acesses?
No offense honestly... but, so many aspects pointed i security and then using FTP uploads....
can somebody tell me why?

Ive been looking around and damn dificult to find a hosting company offering ssh access... i dont get it, spetially when the servers run mostly linux.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I check out a few hosting plans that you guys have in you companies and for 50$ a year you get something like 50mb with 1GB bandwith....

Thats certainly not our pricing - Im pretty sure we are more expensive then that :) - having said this, there are alot of companies offering a few hundred mb and 5-10 gb for that $50/year range

Quote:
to little i think...

Lets disagree on this one

Quote:
that muney is enogh to buy 100 times more space in godaddy, 250 more bandwidth and a doman....

and herein lies the problem - you are not purchasing 100 times more space and 250 times more bandwith - you are purchasing an illusion

Quote:
Ive been looking around and damn dificult to find a hosting company offering ssh access... i dont get it, spetially when the servers run mostly linux.

There is no reason what-so-ever for an end user to have ssh access - even jailed - would you give someone administrator access on your windows machine? The way control panels are these days, there simply isnt a function someone would want to use ssh for that isnt available through your control panel. You can ftp files, you can tar/untar files using file managers, you can setup crons using the control panel - Im just not sure why you would want ssh on a shared server. The risk isnt overly huge when offering jailed ssh, its just one more thing to manage and 1 more cost center.

Funny, but the customers who dont want to pay more then $3/month for hosting, are also the ones who demand full access, etc...

A hosting company cannot maintain the standards you are looking for - both in service and support on $3 plans -
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obviously pedrotuga did not review our plans since we offer SSH and more than 1GB bandwidth with our 50MB plan for less than $50/yr. I agree with Cartika on the illusion so many people buy when succumbing to an oversold host. However I disagree that there is no legitimate reason to give a customer ssh access. Especially with regard to database maintenace. PhpMyAdmin does have limits when it comes to restoring databases larger than 1MB. Plus we have clients who have other legitimate uses for shell access. Granted we don't make it available for every client however we will allow it when requested for a plausible need.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Especially with regard to database maintenace. PhpMyAdmin does have limits when it comes to restoring databases larger than 1MB.

This is of course true, though, you can certainly safely increase this limit somewhat - after that, your host can quickly perform the import for you...

Quote:
However I disagree that there is no legitimate reason to give a customer ssh access.

Fair enough - personally, I dont think the reasons are legitimate in a shared environment - and its just something we dont like to deal with - if it makes sense for your customer base (especially if youre selective about it) - heck , whatever works :)
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok... its true that ppl is buying an ilusion. I just pointed the huge diference.

About ssh access... simple: FTP does not ecncript the password. And lets say i am runing a small web based business in wich users can use credit card payments.
I can see some serious troubles... not only for huge sites. thats basicaly the only reason... security.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi pedrotuga,

Well, theres always sftp -

But, Im a little confused by what youre trying to accomplish?

Why would you be ftp'ing credit card numbers? (sorry if I misunderstood)

Irregardless, you should never be storing credit card numbers locally (thats what payment gateways are for - let them deal with that :) )
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... think you're right... why the heck would i store credit card numbers localy...

Ok, the example was surreal, but let's admit that there is data that should be both up and downloaded wich is confidential. Because it actually there is in the big majority of the cases.

Sftp... mmmm... didn't thought about that. But... sorry about the ignorance... is EVERY ftp server able to run in secure mode?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

pedrotuga wrote:
Well... think you're right... why the heck would i store credit card numbers localy...

Ok, the example was surreal, but let's admit that there is data that should be both up and downloaded wich is confidential. Because it actually there is in the big majority of the cases.

Sftp... mmmm... didn't thought about that. But... sorry about the ignorance... is EVERY ftp server able to run in secure mode?

LOL - dont sweat it :)

certainly every ftp server can be configured for sftp....

Though, most hosts offer some sort of file manager with their control panel that operates under ssl - not idea, but certainly a decent solution.
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh...
ok... so i think thats a weak point of the hosting plans out there... a web based filemanager is not practical or reliable as ssh ( or sftp ).
Question to the webhosting sellers reading this:
do you offer ssh or sftl access to your costumers?

This all discution started on what does or does not worth to pay...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts