Godaddy VDS problems

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a godaddy vds and I'm having major problems that I didn't have with shared hosting.
I'm really getting fed up with godaddys hosting service. One problem is file permissions. When I upload wordpress I can't do anything cause the permissions are too low, so I set everything to 777, but then I still have problems when I try to upload pictures. It's really annoying.

Does anyone have any expiriance with godaddy vds's or can point me in the direction of a good tutorial. Been searching google and no one seems to be having my wordpress problem. Plus I'd like some general information on vds's cause I've never had one before.

It's running fedora.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have any experience with GoDaddy's VDS services, but I can tell you right off that your chmod is a BAD idea. Your upload directory should be 755. The issue obviously isn't permissions if it still won't function afterwards. What type of errors are you receiving? Any?

UPDATE: Would this help? (source here)
Quote:
Typical WordPress installs only need the wp-content/ directory to be 777 (so that WordPress can create the wp-contents/uploads/ folder). If your wp-content/uploads/ already exists you can hop right over and make wp-content/ 755. If you enabled Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders then the sub-directories need to be checked as well (wp-content/uploads/2006/06 for example), so you will need uploads/ to be 777, 2006/ to be 777 and 06/ to be 777. If you are using the ImageManager plugin, you will need to check the permissions on wp-content/uploads/2006/06/.thumbs/ as well!
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know it's not a good idea. It was only temperary for debugging purposes. But when I upload a file on wordpress, it looks like it uploads, but the picture is not on the server and it shows a blank image on the site (i.e. no image).

edit: apearently wordpress is uploading the pictures into wp-content/ instead of wp-content/uploads/

anyone know what this might be? I created an uploads folder and chmod 755

thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts