Has anyone tried hostingplex.com?

• DomainMagnate
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DomainMagnate

Post 3+ Months Ago

They offer 110GB + free domain for $60/year? Do you think it's too cheap?

thanks
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi johndoe, yes it sounds too cheap. Have you gone a search one this company?

There are so many hosting companies out there, I hope you are not going to ask us about every one that you find ;)

Personally I think you are best to pay a bit more and go with a company which has some history and credibility.

A lot of hosting companies have already been recommended, have a look through the other posts.

Cheers.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
They offer 110GB + free domain for $60/year?

That is a little on the low end as far as pricing:specs go...

Also - anytime you see a free domain, you should be come skeptical - at least research this a little more thoroughly. Who actually owns the domain? If you decide to leave in 3 months, can you take that domain with you?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Also - anytime you see a free domain, you should be come skeptical

You're kidding right? Do you know how much a domain costs? Average of about $8... when you think of how much profit is made on one hosting package, you can easily afford to offer a free domain name.

Also when a company registers a domain on behalf of a customer, they put the domain under the customers name and usually name themselves as the technical/billing/admin contact.

If you feel you should ask them about it, then that is definately your right.

My other advice is to sign up with a company that accepts credit cards - this way if you pay for your hosting a year in advance and they go bust 6 months into it, you can claim for the other 6 months back on your credit card.

Merchant services are not easy to get, especially when it is through a reputable bank and this is the sole reason for making companies jump through hoops to get them is in case they go bust - there is a lot of money available to repay customers.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You're kidding right? Do you know how much a domain costs? Average of about $8... when you think of how much profit is made on one hosting package, you can easily afford to offer a free domain name.

Also when a company registers a domain on behalf of a customer, they put the domain under the customers name and usually name themselves as the technical/billing/admin contact.

If you feel you should ask them about it, then that is definately your right.

I only say this because of the number of domain disputes ive been involved with on behalf of my clients - who received a free domain with their hosting and then, based on some TOS - didnt actually own the domain - Im surprised you havent seen more of this...

Quote:
My other advice is to sign up with a company that accepts credit cards - this way if you pay for your hosting a year in advance and they go bust 6 months into it, you can claim for the other 6 months back on your credit card.

Completely agreed :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
I only say this because of the number of domain disputes ive been involved with on behalf of my clients - who received a free domain with their hosting and then, based on some TOS - didnt actually own the domain - Im surprised you havent seen more of this...

Ahh my apologies. No I have not come across this before. It is very dodgy and I am suprised it's not illegal. That is an awful thing to do.

Yes a lot of people don't read the Terms of Service (bad idea) before they sign up with companies.

The shame is anyone can start providing hosting, which is why there are so many nightmare stories you hear about.

Cheers
  • DomainMagnate
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DomainMagnate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting discussion, I should have seen it before may be, because I've just registered to bluehost.com and they give away free domain...
Hope I won't have any problem with transfering this domain, if I have to ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts