I HATE ROUTERS!

• mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah hi,

i am trying to host a website off my home computer. i am using "abyss web server" and i am going through a d-link DI-524. i have port fowarded port 80 casue that is what the server is running on but how would i know if my server is running. i tryed my ip i got from some site and i tryed the ip the my router gives me and nothing. i am so confused! I hate routers the ruin my life GRR :evil:

PLEASE HELP ME!
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not just use a normal hosting provider?
  • mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

well...

1. im a 15 year old who cant realy pay for any sites to do it for me

2. i amd curently using a free site to host my stuff but i hate it cause i cant host anyting big i want to be able to host it myslef so i can do what i want...

yeah that is why
  • kanaduh
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude i agree with who.
I'm turning 14 in september and i dont wanna pay to some hosting site.
So any advice from anyone how we can host from our own computer..OR.. a hosting site that is free and big..(which probablly wont happen)
thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummm... there is a reasonable likelyhood that your ISP may cancel your internet account if they catch you hosting a server on a home computer. Just a word of warning.
  • kanaduh
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

so if i have Shaw Cable...and they see i am hosting a server off of my computer they will cancel our subscription?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all depends on the amount of traffic you get. I ran a site from my home PC that drew a lot of attention. My ISP quickly stopped my service. I switched to a different port and the ISP never said anything.

A lot of ISP's will block port 80 for that very reason. So you could try using a different port.
  • mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

eh..idc its not going to get much attention and if anyting il just cahneg the port but i still need to know how to do something like that cause i want to be able to host my own stuf so if any of you can answer that it would be greatly appreciated! thanks
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

so go to your ma and pa and tell them you wanna leave your computer on 24/7. Ask them how much it would cost a month, and offer to save them money on electricity by buying you a web hosting package with a reliable host.
  • mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

uh...yeah my parents wouldnt do that plus i always leave this computer on with aim and what not so yeah..that is out of the question. it would just be easyer to do it on here
  • heh3d
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • heh3d
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you decide to do this foolishness, at least for the love of god, make sure you have all the latest patches for (I can only assume) Windows, and that you enable some good firewall rules - don't go opening up every port.

Also, if you don't know what your IP address should be, then chances are it will change once a day or so - making it rather difficult for anyone to find you.

There are some really cheap hosting plans out there. $5 or $6 a month that give tremendous amounts of bandwidth, mysql databases, php, kitchen sink, etc. - that's like less than an hour of work at minimum wage. Surely some neighbors must need lawns mowed.
  • mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

so in other words non of you are goign to help me with this besides saying that i shoudl pay for it... :cry:
  • Nightma12
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Nightma12

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://127.0.0.1

that would confirm that your webserver is running, but not if your webserver is open to the outside world

i believe you should be able to check via a proxy?

google for "free proxy" and try to connect to

http://<your IP address>

if you do not know your IP address get it from http://www.whatismyip.com

-Hope This Help!

-Nightma12 8)
  • mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah sorry but that didnt help. i know all that. the problem i am having is that i cant see my site out side of my network. no problem from the inside though. idk what to do. i opend port 80 on my router and it it still doesnt work i used http://www.proxyweb.net to check to see if it works and i dont get anyting. yeah just thought i would fill you in on what i know works and what doesnt.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try using a different port other than 80.
  • mnybgs45
  • mnybgs45

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i tryed a new port (1024) and then i couldnt even get it in my netword so i went back to 80 and it worked fine. But you still cant see it outside of the network http://24.189.81.1/ see

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts