Help, I don't know the first thing about website ownership..

• Heatherpack123
  • Heatherpack123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
I recently bought a website off of ebay and the person who is supposively handing it over to me is taking a long time doing so. I don't know the first thing about websites and the only reason I bought it was because it was a no-maintenance membership website. The domain name is officially transferred to me and I bought a month of hosting. What do I do now? Without waiting for the files to be sent via email from the person I bought this from, is there anyway for me to "get in there" and adjust things?? I would assume since I paid for hosting, the site can be maintained by me as well.. :?
Thanks for your time,
Heather
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't you get a user name & password? Is the site still hosted on the old server?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The seller has to give you the files in any way he could. Unless, you are also using his/her existing hosting provider, then you ought to; like what Don has said - getting the user name and password.
  • Heatherpack123
  • Heatherpack123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again,
Yes, thats right. I am suppose to be taking over the exsisting site through the exsisting hosting provider. So, she should be giving me the username and password associated with the account along with the files, right?? And the hosting provider(zolohost.com) has no way of giving me access, even though I paid for more time on the server??
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have gotten the user name and password, you do not need her to send you the files. They are supposed to be in the hosting server, in zolohost.com, is that the hosting provider she is using?
  • Heatherpack123
  • Heatherpack123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, she hasn't sent me the username and password yet. I just sent her an email asking for them. Yes, the hosting provider is Zolohost. She had told me 2 days ago that she is "still working/making changes on the Paypal button". She told me eveything would be set by last night. I have yet to get another email from her. So your saying, if I get the username and password from her, I don't even need her to send the files? Also, shouldn't I get some sort of copyright info from her, so that we have the rights to the material. I'm just worried with my poor knowledge of this stuff, that i'm being dooped.
=/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I ask a seriously "dumb" question? Why did you buy a website off of somebody on Ebay when you don't know what you're doing from the start?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heatherpack, the best way is to confirm with her if she is still keeping all the files in the current hosting provider. Yes, if that is so, then you do not need her to send you the files. Double check with it after she has given you user name and password - by going to file manager, or connect to it using an FTP client. About copyright information, as far as I know, we do not need legal binding document to copyright some simple websites with "not much" texts or simple designs. We could easily write copyright by ourselves. Unless, you are talking about "patents" or "trademark". Well, ask her about it.
  • Heatherpack123
  • Heatherpack123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
To the one question, I bought it because it was a website that was no maintenance, besides answering emails. Its a membership website thats cut and dry, already ready to go. I just figured, along with my brother-in-laws help(he's a computer guy), that I could handle it. The only problem now is that persons integrity because I have yet to hear back from her to even get the user name and password. If I do get a hold of her, I will follow your advise George L., thanks! The good thing about all of this, is that i'm a tad wiser than before;)
~Heather
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are welcome, Heather.

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts