Help me get started please. I got my own domain.

• Detonate
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Detonate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just purchased my domain from http://www.godaddy.com which is http://www.RevMatch.com. I was hoping if anyone can tell of a good free hosting site with ads or no ads. It doesn't matter, I just want to learn how to get it running. I would like a hosting with cpanel, php, and some other goodies I can start learning to use.

Does anyone have an FAQ or tutorial on how things are done? A checklist or step by step process would be helpful.

I also have a question about emails. Since I bought the domain from godaddy.com how do I get emails with my domain name? Such as admin@revmatch.com. Is that provided by the web hoster? How does it work, is it forwarding emails?

I really want to get it up and running. I'm reading tutorials on w3schools and going through lynda.com flash tutorials.

Thanks guys. Ozzu is a great place and I'm learning a lot from it. Oh and please delete the other post in the website hosting forum "Does Godaddy provide email forwarding with domain registrar?".
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some topics already open in this section on where to find free hosting, please use the search button to locate these.

Free hosting can be very unreliable and most have banner or popup ads which can make a website look unprofessional, these days there are so many good hosting companies which are good in price that you could afford to pay for it.

Usually this is the process of setting up your hosting.

Purchase or organise hosting, they will tell you the DNS settings for the hosting package - you then will need to enter this information, in the appropriate section of your domain name control panel. Basically this tells your domain name where you want it to point to so that people can view your website. This also helps to get your email delivered to the right place.

Once you have done that - you can login to your control panel on your hosting and set up your email accounts, you can usually control how much space each email account can take up etc.

Then you need to create your website (or do that first is probably better but I am just thinking off the top of my head here) once you have created your website on your computer - you need to upload it to your hosting area, you can do this by using FTP. In your hosting setup details you would get emailed your FTP address and login and password. You can use a program like SmartFTP. The websites for these FTP programs will have some instructions on it.

Hope that helps,
Rose

(PS) I deleted the other topic you mentioned.
  • Page-Zone
  • Page-Zone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go over to webhostingtalk.com and ask someone for someone free hosting in the hosting requests area. There's a lot of startup web hosts over there that might do it.
  • priyanka-m6.net
  • Student
  • Student
  • priyanka-m6.net
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Detonate,
There are so many economical plans available in the market why do you want to go for unreliable free hosting. Anyways if you want to go for free only, try out http://www.50megs.com
  • antiladybear
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • antiladybear

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree and wouldn't go with the free hosting. You can get very reliable hosting with CPANEL from many companies for as low as five or six bucks a month.

-b
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I agree and wouldn't go with the free hosting. You can get very reliable hosting with CPANEL from many companies for as low as five or six bucks a month.

yeah or lower... try devshed.com. the resellers in there are pretty good and offer competitive prices. I met this guy called chris in there. hes good
  • Jaw
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just go back to godaddy and purchase their hosting package. 500MB at $4 a month should be enough to get you started. And then you can attach your domain name to your hosting space with their configuration pages. It's pretty painless.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts