Help getting Apache to work! =(

• scottmhoward
  • Born
  • Born
  • scottmhoward

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

I've been running an apache web server on my home computer for at least 5 years flawlessly. After about a year or so, my ISP decided to block port 80, so I did the normal redirect to have my server use port 8080, and I changed it again to 8000 after I changed domain names.

However, just this week, it seems that somehow all traffic to my server has stopped. I can still access my website through my computer but nobody else can. I figured maybe my ISP started blocking common redirect ports like 88, 8080, 8000, etc, so i changed it to some oddball port like 2218, but still, it cannot be accessed.

I checked my firewall, and nothing was being blocked (I even completely disabled it at one point, but nothing). I even figured somehow they were blocking any access to "APACHE.EXE"... so I renamed it to something stupid like "Soap.exe". but still nothing.

I've completely run out of ideas and my server has been down for 5 days. I'm looking everywhere for some sort of insight as to what might be wrong. The only possibility I can think of is that I've been (finally) doing some Windows Updates lately... I upgraded from Windows XP SP1 to SP2, and installed numerous other updates (I hadn't done any updates in 3 years+). All I can think of is that for some reason apache might not like SP2. But would that explain why I can still access the server through the domain name?!

If anybody has ANY ideas, please let me know. I'm about to bang my head against the wall!

Thanks.

Scott M. Howard
http://www.scottswebpage.com/ is the website on my home server
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oddities abound.

An IP return of your hostname provides: 204.16.252.98
Which is a hopto.no-ip.com. I would have to say your IP information; your dynamic DNS is someplace to look first.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts