Help needed : Hosting website at Own PC

• holy007lotus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • holy007lotus
  • Loc: Jalandhar, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to host a website at my own computer.
Website will be using "Linux, Apache , Php and MySql" server technologies. I am expecting about 50,000 views per month.
So if I consider maximum page size of 60KB ( Website doesn't contain any sound , video) approximate traffic volume will be around 2 GB.

Do I need a static IP or a dyanamic IP can also work though dynamic DNS?

How much should be internet speed? considering total 2GB as a whole the net speed should be around 512Kbps... but does the internet speed per second or speed at demand will be good metric here.

Do I have to pay anything(software licenses) if i use above stated technology?

Can a mobile IP help me to achieve the same if I am getting desired internet connection speed?

I launch my website at my own pc and register it at some other DNS... is it possible.

What is aproxx hardware requirement for this kind of website?

I am very confused. Please help me out.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• holy007lotus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • holy007lotus

Post 3+ Months Ago

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE TO HELP ME OUT!
  • holy007lotus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • holy007lotus

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is probably my last post to this forum... i ll repent that i advised few of my friends to come over ozzu to get their problems solved.
I am desperately checking forum to get answers to my problems and people don't help anywayz except having a "look"........
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

holy007lotus calm down.

I have not done thi myself, but the answer I can answer:

You don't have to pay for any of that software (as far as I'm aware)

I think you need a static IP address. That can be done easily. Google is your friend.

Your connection speed should be as high as possible. That's how high.

I don't know the answer to the other questions.

What I want to know is why aren't you hosting with a company? That way you will get the very best speed and hardware. Probably cheaper in the long run. If you run it from home on some old computer your site might run slow, especially with that amount of traffic.
  • holy007lotus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • holy007lotus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Website I am planning to launch will give access to some selected people who will first register through login page. User should be able to upload text files. These text files once stored in the database will be taken to the webpage as per the requirements of the general customer. Most of company offers I have seen they provide enough webspace and bandwidth but space for database is less.

other term i couldnt understand in few cases was "e.g. 100 databases allowed"
.. whats is that....

shall i be user to have - say 100 registered users to my website who can upload and delete text files...

what will be the approximate cost for that...

and thank you much... now i am thinking of hosting it on a paid server (company web server)..

But I am not sure if my requirements will be met..

• ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I would deffinately suggest paying for the hosting. A home computer just cant keep up with the latest server technology advances.

If your only really dealing with a database of .txt file your not talking very much space needed. You did say something about 50,000 views a month. Where did you get that fugure from?

I might get told off for self promotion here, but you could have a look at my web host reviews site.

There are different types of hosts. The cheap hosts and the very high traffic hosts like Rackspace, Media Temple etc.

I would say you only need something like Bluehost. I would be very suroprised if you ran out of bandwidth or space with them. Have a look at the review.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you trying to move into the hosting market? If so, here's my recommendation. It worked for me. (Read the whole thing before you scoff at it)

1) Purchase a reseller plan
Your home computer will not be able to offer the type of service required by commercial purchasers. You need speed, experience, and uptime in order to retain customers. A reseller plan will allow you to build a customer base as they're relatively inexpensive.

2) Set up a custom server on your home computer
Because you will not have users on this computer, speed and uptime will not matter. Chances are, you'll be restarting and "breaking" things quite often on this testbox, so you won't have any worries. Consider providing free hosting for local organizations in order to get a feel for what it will be like.

I recommend using Apache and Linux (Fedora Core is great)
You can grab a free GNU hosting panel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_panel_(Web_hosting)
I recommend getting a static IP if you can, but DDNS will work for this purpose
Billing managers aren't usually free, but WhoisCart is pretty cheap and functional ($50?).

3) Find a colocation provider
Once you have a customer base large enough to cover colocation fees, consider building/purchasing a designated server. Do make sure it uses a RAID 1 setup. or you could find yourself in hot water.
  • holy007lotus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • holy007lotus

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry im not getting into hosting for otherz ...
all i want is to have my own website running...
..now im looking for some good hosting plans..i found godaddy a bit good...
... im not sure weather which plan i should choose..
...... is it possible to shift from one plan to other like.. economic to premium if older one is not sufficient for my website traffic...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts