help needed with slow loading site.

• Mark Keating
  • Loc: Somerset UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys

Please can you help

http://www.eden4flowers.co.uk The site is running really slowly, very busy with Valentines traffic. Do you have any suggestions on speeding things up, hosting currently is shared, we will have around 80k UV's this month. Sorry my ability is poor. please help!!

Sarah :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not really sure what to tell you. Without internal access to your network, it's very difficult to specifically locate the problem. It is very slow, I can see that. When in doubt, I always call it a peering issue. You were with hosteurope.com; that much is evident from your domain registration. They however have been purchased by pipex communications, which seem to have peering issues and are routing traffic all over London. Seeing as how they also specialize in broadband and VoIP, it might just be a case of overloaded bandwidth... but again, it's just a wag.

In the short term, you may wish to look into edge solutions, like Akamai -- at least for the holiday season. Most of your front end seems static; that's a good fit for caching. There may even be more localized caching options, though I am unaware of any.
I guess you realize you have a lot of graphic images in the portal, that does tend to slow a site's download, but even with all of that, first byte download of the default.asp is the major problem. I ran several keynote measurements from points around the globe, and bar-none, not a single instance returned in less than 19 seconds for the default.asp file ALONE!

Everything else comes up fairly quick, so I might look into why that default.asp is taking so long. I have never been a fan of asp to begin with, but generally, if this is some defacto control set that is being used, I would not recommend continuing. If it's homegrown, I would look into the code, something is not right. (That would of course be Scripts/default.asp).

Good luck.
  • Mark Keating

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that

Could it simply be due to the number of people on our site at this time and would dedictated hosting solve it , if so what spec for hosting would you recommend we have between 35k - 100k visitors a month would that help.

Thank you for your time it is appreciated

Regards Sarah :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thought comes to mind. I am assuming that the cart is using some kind of database. It seems like the pages that don't have a large lag in loading are the ones that do not contain any information that needs to be retrieved from the database. Whereas, any pages that are database dependent seem to be the slow ones to load, particularly the default.asp page as Daemonguy noted.

My first guess is that you are using an Access database. This would explain the delayed load time, in particularly with the main page which is going to be your most accessed page. Access databases are known to have problems when the number of concurrent users is high.

If this is the case, the only good long term solution, would be to switch to a SQL 2000 server database, which will handle the concurrent connections just fine.

Unforunately, the database would need to be created and probably some adjustments made to the scripts as well, so there is really no good short term solution. Again, this assumes you are using an Access database.
  • Mark Keating

Post 3+ Months Ago

No. we use a My SQL data base. This was previously a problem when the Access Data Base reached 22meg. So that has been sorted.

Please let me know if anything else springs to mind

many thanks Sarah
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does default.asp build the page for each visit? In other words, is the entire page dynamic in nature? Your problem is most assuredly with your default.asp -- whether that means displaying static content or generating content dynamically.

Getting a temporary caching solution would be a quick fix to the latency issue at hand, at least with regard to initial connections. This would enable you to have the time to research where your problem exists without causing undue damage to the business.
Default.asp first byte download for me is hovering around 29 seconds. That is unbelievably high. This leads me to believe a processing issue for that page.
Perhaps a good place to start is the log files; find out if anything is 'erroring' out. Typically, if within the confines of an asp, there happens to be an error (retrieving data, placing data, etc.) it can cause severe timeouts for the entire script. You might find something to that effect in your logs. Someplace to start, anyway.

Cheers.
  • Mark Keating

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will get the guys to check it out

Thank you for that

Sarah.
  • Mark Keating

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have found out that our domain goes to default.asp which is in the root directory, which only continues 1 line of code: a 'response.redirect' to the true default.asp which resides in a folder called scripts. I looked at the default.asp and it is a dynamic page which uses 'includes ' etc to display content from a mySQL database. I cannot see any errors on this page.

I just asked my friend to try the site at home on their 512k home broadband connection and it took about 3sec to fully load, so it seemed ok - 19 seconds thats very long time.

Is this any help

Sarah x
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot to ask before, but are you on a Windows server using IIS?

Anyway, I'm not an expert with asp, but I did find this link on response.redirect which details some known issues with buffering. I don't fully understand it but your designers probably will:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0 ... asp?ID=214

Your problem could be related to the buffering issues detailed there.

Allong those lines, server.transfer may be an alternative possibility. However, note the section about potential broken relative links:

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/010220.htm
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was on the site at 11:28 PM EST and it loads instantly, all of the pages. Don't know if that helps any, probably just points more to the fact that during the server's peak hours it is getting bogged down or the bandwidth itself is a lacking on the host's side. I haven't read ATNO/TW's links in depth but, it certainly might have something to do with that in my opinion. I'm making my school's website from scratch and starting testing on their current server hosted by extabytes.com with the coldfusion plan because a while ago our site was coldfusion on a windows server and still hasn't changed hosting accounts. Now, we're moving to PHP MySQL and preliminary testing has shown that it does not perform well when the server is under load which, with my general experience seems to be a large problem with IIS, it's ability to multitask seems to be below that of Apache on linux.

I've talked to a few people more experienced than I in the area and the general idea seems to be the ASP gets bogged down more than PHP unless on an extremely powerful server.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts